Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Thoughts on Windows XP

Discussion in 'Mac' started by Moose, Sep 24, 2001.

1. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    Aside from the obvious comments about Windows products, I have one question/comment that I am wondering if anyone can answer. Microsoft claims that they lose crazy amounts of money through piracy, I completely agree that they do since I copy half their products, but this begs one question (I know, it begs more, but):

If their new serial number registration is supposed to reduce/eliminate the pirating of the XP, how can they justify the cost of the new OS ($199 new, $99 upgrade)? Shouldn't they be charging $50 for the thing since you won't be able to pirate it?

Just curious to see what others think. I think that it will stop me from purchase it. That and the fact that I will have 2 systems to install it on and they are smoking crack if they think that I will shell out $400 for shit software. Looks like I will just reinstall my wonderful Windows 98 2nd edition on both!

2. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    why not just dl a free distro of Redhat or another linux version...

3. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    I have a pirated copy of windows XP that has the registration serial # and all that fuss removed.

4. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    stick with 2000. XP == 2000 minus the shit GUI. and 2000 has the "old" product key system. there are tons of keys floating around for it.

5. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    Ha! double equals!! I thought you didn't like programming.

6. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    How friendly is 2000 with gaming?

7. SpocKirk

Market Rating:
    It'll run most new games, but has trouble with legacy support (old games)

8. XWRed1

XWRed1 Peasant

Market Rating:
    I think Microsoft is charging more for WindowsXP because they can.

They will try to charge whatever the market will bear, and I bet sales will be a bit lower than usual because of the whole economy situation the US is in right now.

Overall, if enough sales drop, then they will have to drop their prices and hope for a change in demand.

Also, XP has a few tweaks other than just the interface against Win2k. And the interface isn't that bad to begin with. Its really exactly the same as Win2k, just with a different skin.

Eitherway, they are both easy enough to pirate. I got an iso of the corporate version which has the Product Activation removed.

The goal of their anti-piracy measures is to stop casual piracy, where you let a friend or family member borrow your CD or something. It doesn't stop the hardcore warezers and crackers who can just apply cracks or pirate an netire iso (like me) to run the OS.

Anyways, if you can get either one for free, you might as well go with XP.

9. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    2000's given me no problems, even with games over 4 years old (we're talking Windows 95 on the "recommended OS" section...).

--Haite

10. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    2000 is good for games. i don't know why people say otherwise.

11. Grizzly

Grizzly Peasant

Market Rating:
    Correct. Microsoft made thousands of small little tweaks that were greatly compromising security and annoying users from previous OS's. There was an article about the "little" tweaks MS made; I'll go look for it.

And Windows 2000 isn't just good for games, it runs a hell lot better than Win9X. Even in Unreal Tournament and Quake3, fps is actually higher on Win2k (but only by a few fps).

The only problems I've ever had with old games were with Master of Orion 2 (odd mouse problem, but doesn't occur frequently), poorly written games, and Microsoft games (ironically). MechCommander2 just doesn't run on Win2k. Sea Dogs wasn't written very well and gave me all sorts of sound distortions, but I didn't mind much because I pretty much beat the game before I wiped Win98.

DOS games don't work, of course, but I hear there are DOS emulators for Win2k that work quite well.

12. XWRed1

XWRed1 Peasant

Market Rating:
    The problem with DOS games in Win2k or NT4 is that if they try to manipulate the hardware, than things don't work out.

I've played Duke Nukem 3D in NT4, although without sound because that is hardware manipulation.

Basically, any games that were written in such a way that they barely even work on 9x won't work well in Win2k. I expect the same is true in XP.

Yes, post the link. I'd like to read it. Most of the stuff I've seen is usually a bunch of misinformed ranting and raving by rabid Microsoft haters.

The only legitimate thing I've seen is the issue of raw sockets, and that really only affects the stupid people who would be using XP. I've already been living with raw sockets for years.

13. SpocKirk

Market Rating:
    Hmm, I like my sockets medium-well, but if you cook them too long, they turn into dry sockets.

hahahahahaha!!
    Another time when I laugh at my own joke because no one else will.

14. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    Don't they make some sort of lotion for that?

15. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    lol

*me pets elb's doggie*

16. XWRed1

XWRed1 Peasant

Market Rating:
    No time for lube!

17. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    I have a copy of Win 2000 Professional. I think. It may be server. I will have to check it out and see. I read a luke warm review of XP in this months MaximumPC. They are not big on the activation bit either. I think that it is the biggest wall for me becasue I don't know if I would want to run it on the desk top or lap top. I want to install it on both and see which runs better. Then make the decision which would keep it. Or maybe both would. I can't imagine trying to explain the to MS when you have to phone in to get a code to install it on a second machine. That and the fact that you apparently can install it, but after 30 days you must enter the hardware key or it simply craps out. Anyone know where I can obtain a cracker? I can post my e-mail address if someone has one. :wink wink:

18. SpocKirk

Market Rating:
    It may just be that i'm running 2000 on a crappy Compaq Armada (laptop) or that I am not admin, but I have had problems with games. Future Cop doesn't work at all, and neither does VGS. You've just eliminated a couple thousand games that run fine on a computer running 98.

19. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    People still thin that there are no video/sound card drivers for 2000 (which when it came out there was NOTHING) Most people don't bother to see if new drivers are released... they just went back to 98... and now ME.. (Shudder)

20. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    The thought of running ME makes me want to vomit. Poorly written Os "enhancement". A good friend of mine has a new Compaq that came with ME installed and he said that it is one problem after another. When he dials up to the internet he can't disconnect without having to reboot. That would piss me off!

Hitometer: 53,556,779 since 1995