Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

The joy of RMA

Discussion in 'PC Forum' started by OsIriS, Oct 28, 2010.

1. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    So woke up this morning, and got USB device current over detected.

So, disconnected all USB devices, including connection to front-end USB ports -- nope

Reset CMOS -- nope

RMA'd PSU -- nope

checked for grounding issues with the case -- nope

So, down to having to RMA the motherboard. Ah, the joys of building your own computer.

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    My brother has had motherboard problems with his Linux PC. He has had to solder on some new capacitors.

3. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    Well, no word back so far on my motherboard situation, although the company just received it on the 9th and said that it would take 10 business days (not sure if they meant 10 business days for testing AND returning or just testing it).

4. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    So I get my motherboard back. Apparently according to ASUS, nothing was wrong with it. So I put everything back together, turn it on and nothing. The CPU fan, GPU fan and case fans all cycle on, but it does nothing.

So I disconnect all the peripherals one by one to no avail. Eventually take the whole thing out of the case and stick it on a cardboard box and what I get there is interesting...the fans cycle on then off, then back on then back off. So is this a PSU issue? Did I somehow fry the CPU or motherboard?

I've taken out all my RAM, hard drive, DVD drive, front USB ports and none of them seemed to have caused the problem. I'm down to the three/four things I really can't test without buying new ones -- GPU (no on board graphics for the P6T), the motherboard and the CPU.

So, I suppose my next step would be to make an attempt to swap out my PSU. And if that doesn't work, the motherboard followed by the CPU.

5. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    That is similar to my brother's problem. The theory is that his PSU was underpowered for his system which damaged the motherboard. He fixed the motherboard by replacing damaged capacitors, and then he got a new PSU.

6. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    I'm already on my second PSU for this machine. If it's the PSU again, I might just have to go top of the line. I'm going to be getting my G5 back from my brother in the meantime so I can keep working.

7. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    Wasn't the power supply. Going to call ASUS again and try to get another RMA#.

8. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    ASUS basically sent me a brand new P6T and I got it up and running again. So far so good.

Hitometer: 53,590,069 since 1995