Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

the big lebowski

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jakeman, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118715/

I heard from several people that it was funny so I just watched it. I don't see what's so special about it. It had very superficially amusing character fragments - I say fragments because none of the characters were ever fully developed - but mostly it was nothing but a very shallow plot vainly concealed with large amounts of sass and attitude, a poor excuse for a movie that thinks it is more clever than it actually is.

ps - why do shitty movies always get high marks on imdb?

2. Kalgareth

Kalgareth Peasant

Market Rating:
    The Big Lebowski is quite possibly the most quotable movie ever. And the characters, although somewhat undeveloped, are some of the most unique I have ever seen. You have to take it for what it is Jake, and it is most definitely NOT a shitty movie. What exactly do you think they are being "clever" about? This is most definitely not some "deeper meaning" movie. Its satirizing that type of thinking with the whole "Dude abides" stuff. Also, watch this with a bunch of other people in a casual setting. It isn't high theater or anything. Repeat viewing movie with highly amusing dialogue. No more no less.

If you can think of a movie that does this type of comedy better let me know, because I sure can't think of one.

3. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    What was the point of the movie? What statement was made? What conclusion drawn? There was no closure, no resolution, no point. The satire seemed to be an end in itself which is pretty weak.

It was nothing but a series of barely connected events that were played out by shallow, over-the-top characters.

I can't think of any movies with better satire, but I can think of one that was similarly bad... Kung Pow:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0240468/

Kung Pow could have been hilarious but they followed the same formula. They used the same comedic fragments over and over to no particular end.

It is very possible to have standalone satire that plays well without the need for conventional structure. The key ingredient is cleverness.

4. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    Do we really need to dig that deeply into academic BS and try to pick apart a comedy, because I could go there starting with the opening monologue and moving right along with the Malibu Sheriff and ending with the fight with the nihilists (and by the way, The Big Lebowski does follow a conventional structure -- The Maltese Falcon ring a bell?)...but you know what, it's a waste of time.

Your absolutism here is a bit disheartening. You didn't enjoy the movie, just leave it at that.

5. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Jake takes life, movies, and zombie invasions a little too seriously sometimes.

6. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Here is an excellent comedy for Kalg:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0362270/

"The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou"

I would rate this among the best comedies ever made. It plays with your sense of reality. It's also extremely subtle. Bill Murray was perfect for the role.

7. Kalgareth

Kalgareth Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yep, The Life Aquatic is a fantastic comedy. Although definitely not my preferred genre its still a great movie. The funny thing is that I have been to parties with Big Lebowski AND Life Aquatic themes. Same group of friends and they both found each movie incredibly amusing. Its a pretty similar type of comedy perhaps. Not juvenile or romcom stuff. That is a great pick though Jake.

As for best comedy ever made? Animal House is it for me. Opinions obviously will vary. Shaun of the Dead is great also for more modern works.

8. lost

lost Peasant

Market Rating:
    The Life Aquatic

I absolutely love Wes Anderson in general. Got to meet him and work for his doc when I was in NY. Did anyone see The Darjeeling Limited or The Royal Tenenbaums? Fantastic movies if you like his work.

Hitometer: 53,932,324 since 1995