Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

The 300

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DunAzrael, Nov 25, 2006.

1. DunAzrael

DunAzrael Peasant

Market Rating:
  2. dcwilson26

dcwilson26 MSC Knight

Market Rating:
  3. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I saw that teaser a couple months ago. The visual aspects look very impressive. We'll see how good the actual movie is.

4. Calendryll

Calendryll MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    Oh my god, that looks awesome.

5. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    well, about as true as people riding giant dinosaur looking creatues can get.

The original was made in 1962 (the end of the golden era of antiquity-based movies). It's not bad, but it's much more concerned with an historical perspective than the Frank Miller version appears to be (although, it does look kickass from the blood and gore perspective).

6. Calendryll

Market Rating:
    Rhinos are still around, lol

7. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    That's what those were? I guess I wasn't paying enough attention when I saw the trailer.

8. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Lame movie. It was highly masturbative with a shallow plot and very little development. There was no substance to it... all cock and no balls as I like to say.

Let's shave our chests and :jerkit: on the battlefield. If that doesn't get you off then here are some tits too.

9. Calendryll

Market Rating:
    I think it was supposed to be like the comic book. There was no real plot or anything in that either. A purely action movie which I enjoy seeing sometimes.

10. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    Yeah, this movie was a pure adaptation of the comic book, and other than a few naggling issues (Leonideus's age, etc) it was almost picture perfect.

11. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Comic book movies can have good development. This one didn't even try.

12. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    But it wasn't supposed to as far as I can figure it. It was a pure, un-adultrated actionfest. Which is exactly how I would want tales of ancient Roman/Grecco heros to be.

13. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Bleh. I have my own standards for movies. I don't care what it's supposed to be like. Any idiot can make an action movie with a simple story and no development.

Many people will look down on an excellent movie because it doesn't follow the book / story / legend / whatever. Your favorable judgment on that basis is no different. You should judge a movie on its own merits. Tell me you like pure action movies, but don't tell me you like it because it's supposed to be that way.

14. Calendryll

Market Rating:
    Okay. I thought it was good because it was almost pure action. The entire story is about a BATTLE. It's hard to introduce a deep, moving plot in the middle of that. They didn't try to market it as anything else so it should have come as no surprise.

15. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    Pure, unadulterated fighting... nothing more, nothing less was expected.

16. dcwilson26

dcwilson26 MSC Knight

Market Rating:
    I just bought the DVD and watched it for the 2nd time. I still don't understand when you say there is no story. It is a movie about the advancement and depiction of an event in history rather than the advancement of characters. The Battle of Thermopylae is, for lack of a better word, the main character in the movie. The bravery of the 300 who stood against tyranny at the mountain pass, their reasons for doing so, and the way it inspired the Greeks is the whole point of the story. What little character development and sub-plots the movie had was there to show the importance of the battle and the men who died there. The point of the movie is not to follow a character around, develop him/her, add a crisis and then resolve it in the end like every other movie. It is an artists interpretation of a historical event that showed the world that, as the movie says, "free men stood against a tyrant, that few stood against many"; and inspired the Greeks to fight the Persians and set the foundation of Western civilization. Trying to add layers and layers of storyline and character development over a rather simple and concise story would have ruined it like what was done to Pearl Harbor. To conclude, I think the action was entertaining as it should have been, and in the end, I felt myself cheering inside with the 10,000 Spartans in the final scene. So to me, the movie did its job well.

17. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    Umm, yeah... What he said.

18. Calendryll

Market Rating:
    It's also based on a comic book. What movie, based on a comic, has ever had a good storyline. Anyways, I loved the movie.

19. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Spider-Man? X-Men? Batman Begins?

(Batman Begins was pure pwnage.)

The 300 was okay, I didn't think it lived up to the hype but it was entertaining.

20. Calendryll

Market Rating:
    Yea, I suppose. They aren't what I call deep, moving plots though. However, they did have much more character development.

Hitometer: 53,932,318 since 1995