Discussion in 'PC Forum' started by Jakeman, Sep 18, 2005.
Looking for opinions and feedback.
-That's a lot of money to be throwing around on RAM and a video card. You could get a runner-up sysyem for half price (unless you think your e-peen might shrink)...
-Why are you getting one hard drive that's half as big as the other two?
-Why are you only getting a single DVD + CDRW? I have a generic CD-ROM and a Sony DRU-510A and the DVD+/-RW ability is awesome. There's no reason not to splurge on a DVD+/-RW if you're already blowing $600 on RAM, and having two optical drives is invaluable sometimes.
-Why are you buying a fresh copy of XP? Use your existing copy.
-I don't see any sound card or stereo system that will accompany this 'puter. That might drive up the cost unless you plan to cannibalize a sound card from another comp.
-Unless you are including tax and shipping and not reporting it, the total cost is $2580.58, not $2888.
1) The video card it the most import part for game performance. Second most important is RAM. Yes, 4GB of RAM is overkill right now, but it won't be in the near future - what with games recommending 2GB already.
And this IS a "runner up" system. My original specs were up around $4k - $5k.
2) Dedicated page drive for increased memory performance. It makes a big difference in games that swap to disk a lot, like WoW and other MMORPGs.
3) I don't need DVD writing capabilities. 2 drives are not strictly necessary, you can buffer to disk for things like CD copying. I will only have 1 free slot after I install the drive cage.
4) My current copy doesn't have a legit CD key. MS changed Windows Update to cause grief for people without legit keys. Therefore I am buying a legit copy.
5) The board has built-in audio. I already have speakers.
6) It doesn't include tax and shipping. The real price will probably be like $3200 or something.
Ah, not sure if you had intended to go overboard on the audio.
That system is going to sound like a helicopter. Have you considered watercooling?
No it won't. I went with the lower wattage CPU (89W instead of 110W like the faster X2s). This board is one of the few that doesn't need a chipset fan. I am getting low-flow liquid bearing Panaflo case fans for everything (case, CPU, drive cage, etc). My PSU is specifically designed to be quiet (it has a quiet fan that only turns on when a heat threshold is reached). My hard drives will be in a drive cage with grommets for isolation to reduce seek noise. I am also putting all of the fans on Fanmates so I can reduce their speed to further reduce noise.
Sounds like you have it pretty well planned out already. Looks good to me. You can always go more or less expensive. All of the items listed have good reviews I beleive, if it's what you want then I say go for it. IMO, sound cards and speakers havent changed much. I dont really have an ear for certain "noises" though.
Your ram is overpriced, get higher latency stuff for half the price. Latency barely matters in any situation, you wont get a justifiable return on the money in performance.
Your video card is so expensive. Why don't you just get an earlier revision? Again when you're buying top end stuff unless you have tons of money to burn you're not going to a return on the investment (not like computers are investments anyways).
Those are expensive drives.
Doesn't your case come with fans. Instead of buying all that cooling stuff just buy a good case. Less hassle, better deal.
And why are you buying norton antivirus and xp. I can see maybe wanting a legit version of xp but why nav? I've always run all my computers without any virus protection and no firewalls and never been infected once.
1) You are right about RAM latency. I am not concerned about CAS latency. But it's hard to find matched pairs on the cheap.
2) Video card is very important for games. That is why I decided to skimp on the processor and go for the top video card. I also have plans to run WoW in high res with AA.
3) Yep, Raptors are expensive, but their performance per dollar is the best out there.
4) Stock fans are always loud. Gotta replace them right away.
5) I have never had a Windows virus, ever. I just want to be safe.
I just ordered all the stuff tonight.
I got rid of the swap disk and put 2 large seagates in there for raid 1 storage space.
I got rid of the chipset cooler.
I downgraded the graphics card to a 7800GT.
I got rid of NAV.
Why'd you downgrade the video?
Smaller PCB, less heat / power, less money, my GF4 Ti4600 already plays WoW fine and the GT is already like 10x faster.
and because we all hate ATi.
At least I do...
If you find a friend that has a MSDN utility you can take any i386 directory and build a Corproate CD with the CD key exempted, or Find the right registry key and value to flag windows update as a valid key...lol
Even with an invalid key you can still use autoupdate, just not the website. Also if you go to the website before hitting the button to check for updates go to tools --> manage add-ons and you can disable the plug-in that checks for authenticity. Once you've disabled it you can click check for updates and it will work fine.
It's called "windows genuine advantage". Only appears in the list at the website.
Or, just pay the $140 and have a legal, valid key. Why is this a problem?
Isnt the next version of windows coming out sometime in the very near future? Maybe you should wait until then to buy a copy?
I know you can use Windows Update with an illegal key. Yes, you can use the web page Windows Update, just execute:
...before hitting "custom."
I have tons of money and I don't care, so I am buying Windows regardless. Shut up already.
I am always a late adopter of new versions of Windows... give it time to settle in.
You do know that Microsoft doesn't accept WoW gold, right?
WTT [Bottomless Bag] for legit Windows copy.
I don't really have tons of money, I just say that to get zealots off my back.
I have no doubt one day it will be true.
Separate names with a comma.