Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

tentative mage builds (beta7)

Discussion in 'Character Building' started by Jakeman, Oct 31, 2004.

  1. Jakeman

    Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2000
    Messages:
    25,759
    Likes Received:
    27
    Market Rating:
    16
    Made with the talent builder.

    This build took me forever to think through.

    Bachelor's in Frost with a minor in Arcane - this build's damage strategy is to start with a frost spell (probably Frostbolt), thereby slowing or freezing the enemy, and then channel Arcane Missiles (an uninterruptible stream of 5 missiles over 5 secs because of Improved Arcane Missiles).

    Arcane damage is improved because enemies have a -10% chance to resist arcane spells (Arcane Focus).

    Critical strikes from frost damage are improved considerably (Ice Shards for +100% crit dmg, Shatter for +50% chance to crit with a frost spell against a frozen enemy). Frostbite gives all frost spells a +15% chance to freeze an enemy (to set them up for a crit), and Frost Nova also freezes enemies. Once the enemy is frozen, you will want to get off another frost spell ASAP before they unfreeze (to get the +50% crit chance), so I recommend saving your Cone of Cold spell for this occasion (10 second cooldown, but instant cast. It also has +35% dmg from Improved Cone of Cold). Frostbolt isn't good for this because it has a 3.5 second cast time at max level, and the enemy might be unfrozen by then, nor is blizzard because it is a mana eater and it isn't meant for a single target, and Frostnova does crappy damage.

    Cold spells also get increased chill time (+3 secs from Permafrost), and increased movement speed reduction (+10% reduction from Winter's Chill).

    For groups of enemies, this build uses Frost Nova (AOE cold) followed by a slew of Arcane Explosions (AOE arcane, instant cast from Improved Arcane Explosion, no cooldown). You can also add a dash of Blizzard (AOE cold) for good measure.

    Are you about to get killed by an emeny? Can't run away? This build can use Ice Barrier for protection. Ice Barrior absorbs 455 damage and lasts for 1 minute, during which time your spells cannot be interrupted. You can use this time to deal damage or channel your Evocation spell to boost your mana regen to 1500% for 8 seconds (mana is life when using a mana shield, and of course it is also used to deal damage). When the Ice Barrier wears off or is destroyed, you will have regenerated your mana and can continue to fight.

    Is one Ice Barrier not enough? Do you need extra protection time? You can cast Cold Snap to reset the cooldown timers on your cold spells, then use Ice Barrier again. The same goes for Ice Block (10 seconds protection, but cannot do anything while being protected). Ice Block is better for groups when there are other people around to kill the enemy while you are protected and inactive.

     
  2. Jakeman

    Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2000
    Messages:
    25,759
    Likes Received:
    27
    Market Rating:
    16
    Build: Release 1

    My original plan has changed slightly.

    This revision has a revised frost tree that focuses more on damage than on things like slowing, chill length, and mana cost. I think this focus will be better for PvP in the end-game.

    The arcane tree has swapped Arcane Focus for Arcane Concentration, and has allocated points to Improved Dampen Magic and Improved Counterspell. These 3 changes made on the advice of Scorpion with PvP in mind. Scorpion doesn't think Evocation is worth it, but I find it to be very useful, so I kept it.

     

Hitometer: 53,946,746 since 1995