Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

teaching credential

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jakeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I haven't posted about me in a while. I have been doing all sorts of stuff.

In Fall 2009 I began preparations to get a math teaching credential. It's an enormous bureaucracy to even apply for the program but I got through it. Though they rejected me based on my interview the first time because I lacked teaching experience which made no sense for a number of reasons. So I enrolled anyways and took some corequisite courses in the Spring (courses which can be taken without being in the credential program). Those courses were Foundations Of Secondary Ed and Child Development. Foundations was a good class. Child Dev was not.

I interviewed a second time and was accepted for Fall 2010. I won a scholarship for $10000. Unfortunately I ended up deferring my start in the credential program indefinitely. I learned that I would not have been allowed to implement my classroom teaching strategy in public schools because it goes against the bureaucracy. They don't want teachers, they want warm bodies. So I was sad about that.

I am distressed at the direction of the public education system. The system is failing horribly and it doesn't know how to change. I feel I could have made a huge difference. I also was not impressed by most of my peers in the two credential classes I took. I would go so far as to say that the majority of my peers were mindless obedients who don't know what or why. Very little independent thought. No passion to learn or excel, only to get the grade and the piece of paper so they can teach according to guidelines given them. It's disturbing to know that my peers are future teachers.

2. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    Good luck. I tried teaching high school English two separate times -- once in a charter school and once at a small private school. There were several reasons why I decided that teaching wasn't or me.

1) I am a horrible disciplinarian. Classroom management was always a struggle with me.

2) Parents. Parents seem to have this annoying habit of believing everything their children tells them. Some are on your side, but the vast majority of parents I had to deal with came in with the attitude that I was somehow against their child.

3) Lack of interest. Very, very few want to read, fewer want to discuss, even fewer have the desire or the capacity to philosophically talk about literature. Even worse, few had any desire to learn the rules of grammar or wanted to utilize an appropriate lexicon when writing. I got way too much IM-speak. And no matter how many times I talked about how the audience matters, they said that I should "know what I'm talking about and that should be enough." They didn't seem to get the idea that how you said something was just as important as what you said.

4) Limitations and censorship. As a writer and a literature teacher, I believe that everything is fair game, everything is valuable to discuss and the deeper we delve into the darker recesses of human mores and questioning the statue quo, the better off we will be. Well, the principals don't see it that way. Any rocking of the boat is considered bad, any potential threat of action by the parents is considered bad. I was probably in the principal's office "getting in trouble" more than any student I ever knew.

But good luck! Teaching IS one of the most important jobs in the world, I do truly believe that. I just found out that I'm more of an agitator than a leader and it wasn't for me.

3. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    My mother was happy to retire when she did. As a teacher for 30+ years, she saw her profession change from teaching to memorization coach for standardized tests. There is no time to help individual students who need extra attention. Parents used to help their children study, now they just expect the teacher to do it all because they are too busy or don't care.

:/

4. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I have noticed the same thing looking in from outside the profession.

I consider it likely that teachers will eventually be replaced by online systems since the new function of teachers is easily programmed and states don't have enough money to pay them.

Hitometer: 53,837,204 since 1995