Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Tales of Hell Ancients (spoilers)

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by olon97, Jul 11, 2001.

1. olon97

olon97 Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yesterday Jaha and I teamed up for an 8 player ancients quest in hell with my conviction paladin (mac_Cyrand - lvl 67 at the time) and his lightning sorc (mac_Storm - lvl 72 before ancients if I recall).

Two random old-style WW barbs tagged along for entertainment value (well, maybe they thought they were helping).

After we let those big brutes out, our own not-so-bright barbs madly started to WW the two physical immune ancients - accomplishing nothing but their first of many deaths.

Meanwhile, chewing through a belt filled with full rejuvs, I was trying to stay between the ancients and Jaha's sorc so he could safely rip them to pieces with Nova. With the -130% to resists from my conviction, one was down in less than 20 seconds. The second was gone after about a minute.

The third was the throwing barb, and the bugger was lightning immune. Scratch that - lightning immune AND lightning enchanted!!!

Jaha's sentiment was "he's all yours." :) (well, he tried firewall briefly, but it didn't appear to help)

So I chased after that cowardly LEB with vengance attacks and eventually pinned him against a pillar. During this time the barbs were coming back for more punishment, picking up their bodies, hitting the LEB's charged bolts, dying again - very entertaining. I managed to lock Maudawk in the perfect position (I don't think the LEB charges were hitting me - so hard to find that sweet spot) so there was no way I was going to let off so the barbs could get their bodies. It was just the spectral hit, lightning enchant, extra strong throwing barb and my lowly lvl 67 pally - locked toe to toe in deadly combat.

My belt was empty of it's last full rejuv, and the damn ancient wasn't dead. His poison was already chewing me into dangerously low levels. Thank god I had a couple more full rejuvs in my inventory. It turns out I only needed one.

All the ancients back on their pedestal, I breathe a sigh of relief. The humiliated barbs are finally able to come and pick up their bodies (they were both lvl 80 something). Then it sunk in that neither member of our paladin/sorc team had died while fighting the ancients in an 8-player hell difficulty game! Sweeet...

Most satisfying 2.5 levels I've had in a long time. :cool:

Any other good stories from Hell Ancients battles? Those buggers are tough.

2. DunAzrael

DunAzrael Peasant

Market Rating:
    No, but that was very good Olon, you should write a novel.

3. LecterTheVile

LecterTheVile Peasant

Market Rating:
    "Lightning immune AND lightning enchanted" - this sounds like pure fun :D. I gotta buy this expansion pack.

*drool*

Anyone here playing a druid?

4. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    see my sig.

i recently took out the ancients with my level 39 bowazon on normal dif. they weren't that hard. then i watched my bro do them on nightmare dif... omg! them be tuff little buggers! i can't even imagine hell dif.

hey olon, how much experience did they give you in hell? they gave me one level's worth in normal (from 37-38, same spot on the bar).

5. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    well done guys.

normal ancients, no biggie.
    NM ancients, tough bastards.

I don't even want to think about the hell ancients. ick!

6. olon97

olon97 Peasant

Market Rating:
    I was lvl 67 with a little over 1/2 experience. After defeating the ancients, I was lvl 69 with about 3/4 experience for the next level. I belive the rewards are a set amount per difficulty.

Also yesterday we brought wulf's defiant paladin to normal ancients right after hitting level 20. The quest reward gave him 5 levels if I recall correctly. You have to be lvl 20 to do normal ancients, lvl 40 to do the nightmare one, and lvl 60 to do the hell ancients.

---

Before people start reading that first post and thinking I've got skillz despite being carebear only, I should note the not so glorious history of my other 2 encounters with the hell ancients.

mac_Adriel - She did it around lvl 70, again in an 8 player game. The WW barb ancient owned her cute little ass repeatedly. I used a 5 emerald grand matron bow with 5 emeralds and lots of poison charms. No worries that I wasn't leaching enough to keep multi going - I was usually dead before I had a chance to use up my mana bulb. I'm not even sure how much my poison / knockback helped but the two ancients that weren't poison immune died first. The physical / poison immune ancient took an insanely long time to kill - the whole session lasted about 40-50 minutes if I recall.

mac_NoloBlesH - He basically came along for the ride. Not sure the hammers even dented the ancients. Again, repeated deaths that at least kept the ancients away from the characters that could accomplish something for a few extra seconds. For a while, one of the ancients crowded the entrance, and the entire message history was filled with "XX was killed by Talic" messages.After two ancients were dead, some prick demanded 60k gold or he would put up a tp. Nobody paid him and he was good to his word. He put up a tp, and we had to start all over again. I blew every last penny on super health potions (I did have some full rejuvs, but they went quick). The reward - went from just barely over 77 to 77 and 9/10ths. My hammerdin has since died a couple times and will probably never see 78, so the whole hour and a half spent on the ancients was a pointless excercise, except for perhaps preparing me to do better with my vengance paladin.

---

The main things to remember are:
    1. Everyone should put up tp's in the Ancients Way map right by the entrance to the summit. Putting up a tp on the summit while fighting will not help your popularity.
    2. If you don't have a way to kill physical immunes - don't bother even trying, 2/3 of the NM and Hell ancients are always immune to physical attacks (hidden extra modifier).
    3. Bring lots of full rejuvs with you, and don't be afraid to run like a little girl when one of the ancients locks onto you (if you're an amazon that is).

7. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    Ok. so you're just full of useful info :D. Keep it coming...

8. Eupfhoria

Eupfhoria Peasant

Market Rating:
    Hmmm you think that bow had emeralds?

I can't fight the ancients, i get roughly 1-8 fps... and it won't solve itself, i usually just let my minions do the close encounter then kill them from afar.

9. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    ahh, the phys immune is a hidden attribute. :)

that explains things.
    I tried soloing the NM ancients with a barb, only a couple people in the game. Killed one pretty quickly, the other 2 were untouchable. Tried berserk, but it had too long of a duration and I was owned (repeatedly) by a well placed leap attack. :(

not being one to enjoy banging my head repeatedly against a brick wall, I moved on to other things...

10. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    Just wondering, and I may be stupid for asking this, but why wouldn't dual-weilding poison potions work? Whip them at the guys, zone out, wait, rinse, repeat. Cheesy, but it would work, wouldn't it, at lease for those not poison immune?

11. olon97

olon97 Peasant

Market Rating:
    Poison potions might work, but it would take a LONG LONG time.

Even with 5 emeralds (732 poison over 5 seconds) things went slowly. The poison damage of poitions is insignificant in comparison.

12. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    I just killed the ancients with my 72 sorc in hell game with 4 people. I did all the work while they took the shots. Not that hard for a sorc :D

13. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    And i only got a level and a half at 72 :(

14. mud

mud Peasant

Market Rating:
    You finally do hell anceitns when im not around huh?

15. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    My lvl 62 bowazon tried the ancients solo a few times in a one player game and it wasn't even close.

I went to the amazon channel asked if anyone would be interested in doing a "quick" run of the ancients with me. A single person replied, a lvl 67 sorc named Randonsorc, would was great to party with if you ever run into him. Anyway, I cleared the way to the entrance of the summit before I went for help, so it was a quick run there. We opened up our tp's and went up.

She threw up a half dozen firewalls around (20 to mastery and 20 to firewall) and it did massive damage. I was impressed by the power. All I had to do was drop the axr thrower who dropped like a fly to my lvl 22 guided arrow. Went from clvl 62.25 to 64.75. Nice exp.

He tagged along with me to Baal and asked if I wanted help. I figured WTF, sure, come on. So we agreed that any zon stuff to me and sorc stuff to him and we split the remains. I got my request for any low lvl rares or uniques for a newbie druid. He was cool with it.

Well he dropped in a matter of about 30 seconds and 2 rares and one unique dropped. A rare jo staff, rare chain boots and a unique axe. He took the staff and I the other 2 items and when he id'd the staff he promptly let out a HFS! (holy f uckin shit) "you gotta see this, come right to town". It was a +2 to skills, +80 to mana, +3 to fire mastery, +3 to firewall, and +3 to inferno. I nearly crapped myself.

That was my latest experience. My druid in in act 2 normal at level 18.8 and my ass is in act 5 normal at a clvl of 26. Moving right along. The axe was the Chieftan:

Two-Hand Damage: 24 To 64 (44 Avg)
    Required Level: 19
    Required Strength: 54
    Durability: 200
    Base Weapon Speed: [10]
    +100% Enhanced Damage
    10% Increased Attack Speed
    Poison Resist 30%
    Cold Resist 10%
    Lightning Resist 10%
    Fire Resist 10%

I seem to remember the resists all being around 30 but I guess that I was seeing things. Yep, I am loving the x-pac!

My druid will most likely use this till lvl 30 and then switch to this item which my pali got for his Baal drop (in addition to the mace I posted in the trade forum):

Bloodletter
    One-Hand Damage: 43 To 108 (75.5 Avg)
    Required Level: 30
    Required Strength: 25
    Durability: 24
    Base Weapon Speed: [0]
    +190% Enhanced Damage
    Adds 20-45 Damage
    +90 To Attack Rating
    20% Increased Attack Speed
    10% Slower Stamina Drain
    8% Life Stolen Per Hit

16. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    is it just me, or is the chieftain dropping like healing potions?
    I've seen it drop a good 6 times during recent Mephisto/Diablo/Baal runs.

17. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    I have gotten it 3 times already, twice on consecutive Baal runs. It gets old fast. I love doing the Baal runs over and over again. Sometimes you get good stuff! I typically get between 3-5 rare/unique drops doing it solo. It is easier then gambling and faster too. I can do a normal run in under 10 minutes with my zon and a nm in about 20 minutes solo. Much faster than gambling!

18. Baseera

Baseera MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    NM Baal run

I stuck it to Baal the other day in NM. I used my clvl 55 Nec and learned a lot about running and shooting while doing it. I'm not sure I'm going to tackle HELL ancients any time soon.

BTW I read that if you cast clay golem at ol' El Diablo's feet he drops what he's doing and goes for him immediately. Haven't tried it yet. I do know it doesn't work on Baal. :(

I did get about 25M exp for killing the ancients in NM.

19. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Re: NM Baal run

Well, I don't know about that. I only use CG with Diablo because he tends to kill ALL golems with one or two hits, and CG is much less mana hungry.

20. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    my nec has a few into dim vision from my wand. it works great on regular guys. i can cast it and just fire bone spears and they don't do anything. i wonder if it works on bosses.

Hitometer: 53,551,414 since 1995