Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Taking a break

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by Lurk, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    I know this is going to seem sudden, trust me it's not. I have canceled my subscription and will not be playing for quite a while, if ever again. I could cite a number of reasons for this, such as lack of endgame content for non-raiders. That certainly is part of the reason, as some of the activities I've sacrificed are not justified by WoW's lack of fun at endgame. It may be different if I could play for 1-2 hours a night and still advance, as the game was originally advertised, but it's not possible at endgame to do this. But honestly and more importantly, I do not have the discipline to fit the hours necessary to get anything out of this game into my current RL responsibilities. Like Cow said in an earlier post, some people can successfully juggle their real lives and online lives, and I've been pretending I was such a person for too long. But I'm not. Even today I've spent too much valuable time thinking and reading and posting about the game. Unfortunately quitting cold turkey is the best way I know to deal with it.

I've truly enjoyed playing with all of you, and I'm not going to do something so drastic as delete my characters or sell my account, so there's always the possibility I will be back when I have my head screwed on more or less straight again, and when the expansion is there to refresh the content. (And no, you can't have my stuff. :p) Also I'll still be around on these boards, so drop me a line to say hi.

In the meantime, kill a few horde for Firemane.

Unplugged,

Jeff ("Lurk")

2. Ellusion

Ellusion MSC Knight

Market Rating:
    I here ya Jeff, after i come back from my trip overseas in April for a few months I'm not sure if I'll be resubscribing. I might wait and see how the xpac pans out. Until then good luck to you in all your endeavors.

Daniel - (Ellusion)

3. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    It's understandable.

As for end-game content, some raiders claim to hold casual hours, but I think many of them have a skewed definition of "casual." So I don't think raiding is a solution to your problem.

4. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    No, I already know it's not. I can't commit to the kind of schedule and attendance that asinine DKP systems demand.

I should qualify the original post by adding that I am having a REALLY crappy day today, as in the one of the worst days of my life. I'm having trouble dealing with things at the moment and I'm not entirely sure how to proceed. Not a good feeling, but life goes on.

5. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    stay on the board at least, WoW isn't all we talk about... :p

6. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    My guild is actually a "casual" guild. We raid only 3 times a week (you could raid more but we don't have more than 15 on except during raid days) and we only raid from 6:30 pm - 12:00 am (usually we finish at 11:00 pm though). This is the main reason I like the guild. I only have to be there at night on those 3 days and on off-days I go play Dota or something. Reason why you'll see me on Hyjal during off-days from time to time.

Only catch to being in the guild is you have to really know your class and we only recruit really good players. Jake knows the requirement to get into my guild. ;)

7. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Duel the rogue leader that uses MC and reflecting trinkets. :eek:

8. Calendryll

Calendryll MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    While not a bad raiding schedule I still dont consider this to be casual.

9. Choco

Choco MSC Knight

Market Rating:
    Oh no... :( I'm really sorry to hear that. I know it probably doesn't help hearing this right now (today being a crappy day), but I'm sure (and hope) things will get better real soon...

I really enjoyed playing (actually more like chatting) with you... Will definitely miss you online... Please, please do say hello from time to time on the forum.

Haeyoung (Choco)

10. Twerg

Twerg MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    so sad :(

I've struggled with the same thing and if it weren't for Choco playing all the time, I would have quit WOW a long time ago. In a way, I have quit several times, I've got like 20 toons on 10 servers and I tend to take long breaks, about three or four weeks or so. And Cal's right, 5 hours a night, several nights a week is not casual. How about something end game that can be done in a couple of hours couple of days or so.

I hope rl comes around for you! I've had some bad days too, but take comfort that better days always seem to follow.

Stay cool and have a great summer! (oops! not a school yearbook signing)

Twerg (Dan)

11. Calendryll

Calendryll MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    I've been struggling with the same things myself Lurk. I will definitely miss you around dude and genuinely hope things get better for you soon. I'm sure I will game again with you someday.

12. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    It's not exactly 5 hours. At 6:30 we would show up, buff, make water, chat, etc. Then we start raiding at about 7:00 - 7:15 pm. Raid would last until last boss is killed. We only require that people show up on days where we do the new instances (AQ40) otherwise it's up to you if you want to show up or not and you don't have to stay for the entire raid either. Some people just need specific items from certain bosses and would opt to leave after those bosses are killed. There are always other people waiting to take over that person's slot since it means more DKP and we go by whoever has the highest DKP that wants the item gets it.

When I say about 11:00 pm, it's because that's the time when people start to go to bed or want to go do something else. And usually it's a complete clear. So we would start MC at 7ish and usually kill ragnaros at about 10:15-10:30.

Our record time for completing instances:
    MC: 6:45 pm - 10:00 pm (3 hour 15 min)
    BWL: 7:00 pm - 10:35 pm (3 hour 35 min)

We usually do Onyxia after MC/BWL so tack on another 45 mins for people to fly out there, take a break, etc. Most of the time people would just log off after MC/BWL because they don't need anything from Onyxia. I usually stay on because I want/need the DKP so I would get my hands on Nef's staff.

13. Chanta

Chanta MSC Knight

Market Rating:
    I hope things get better for you Fire. I have enjoyed playing and chatting with you. I'm sorry to hear that your having a bad day. Hopefully it will get better. We will definately miss you!! :( Don't be a stranger.

14. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'll still be on the boards for sure. According to my profile I've been here since July 2000 so why leave now? (My God, has it been that long?)

I already miss the in-game banter, in some ways that's more fun than the game itself. Or more accurately it's what made the game fun to begin with for me. Chances are I'll be back at some point. Everything just hit the fan all at once, as it usually does.

15. Gerona

Gerona Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yeah Definately. Giving up on WOW feels like giving up on friends. I know that's harder than giving up on a videogame. I'm noticing the same thing but my play hours are so late they don't interfere with anything IRL. I actually get more times with friends and family through WOW. I know it gets addictive. Here I am trolling a guild site, I dont't really belong to lol. But I know it can interfere with real life and without some control can become more important than real life. At least you have your priorities straight. Good Luck to you. Maybe Jakeman can give you a forum moderator job or something so you can still be active with the guild.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2006
  16. Fujin

Fujin MSC Knight

Market Rating:
    That sucks

That sucks to see you go. I hope everything works out for you in the end Lurk. Thats cool that your still going to be on the board!!!!

17. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Well my subscription doesn't run out until Mar. 22, and I had the house to myself this weekend and was bored so I got some playtime in. I'll play it by ear from here.

Hitometer: 53,595,413 since 1995