Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

stupid religious people

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dapork, Oct 5, 2002.

1. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    I don't mean to speak of all of them, but today when I was taking a Greek class at an orthodox church, the teacher was talking about how to say "I go to church on sundays," then he talked about how some people said they never went to church, so he was started explaining how they were gonna burn etc... people were laughing, stupid people.

2. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    You could also say, "stupid scientific people" when it comes to many of their lame ass theories too. It's all hard to say when you have something w/o proof.

btw I don't really know what the Greek Orthodox says but most Bibles over here state that going to church is not required but it is benificial for boosting up each other in their daily walk. According to the Bible, Paul was in prison for years (obviously without church), Jesus was in the desert for 40 days, etc... I think some religions just like to put the fear into people about church going.

Pretty dumb way of going about telling others... Saying that they'll burn in hell, etc... How pathetically lacking in tact. Not to mention being an offensive and rude way to start explaining your views. Too blunt. :rolleyes:

I shall now do my lamo WC3 Paladin impression pertaining to Jake's web site.

Is that a server? Luxury!!
    Is that an auto-generated result? Sloth!!
    Is that a graphic? Vanity!!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2002
  3. kraahl

kraahl Peasant

Market Rating:
    They´ve proved that it´s hotter in heaven then in hell. In heaven there´s light like if there were seven suns. Very hot. There was something more to the argument but I can´t remember right now...

I don´t like religion, I really dislike chatolicism (spelling?) because all thier priests are perverts and when it becomes publicly known the church tries to cover it up.
    I heard one australian (i think) priest say that, " sexual child-abuse is a lesser crime then abortion".
    I know hell doesn´t exist, but I´m prepared to create one for his sake.
    Burn! Burn!

4. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    The bible never once said that church was neccesary on Sundays; all it says is "Keep the Sabbath day holy"... dont need church for that <hugs his G4>

I think science is better than religion because science makes no pretense about trying to know the reason for everything. It's like a fractal, continuously going inward and always infinitely complex. religion just says, "oh, God wills it that this may be so" (remember how the church thought that Heaven was above the coulds?- until the Wright Brothers came along hehe)

My view of science is that there is always a question about what makes things happen- so what? the point is not to understand everything, but merely to understand more. If every question we answered led to two more or ten more, it wouldnt matter at all because it is one more question we have answered.

there, I'm done.

Oh yeah... life doesnt begin at conception. An animal (as opposed to a plant) is not alive until it has conciousness. and that doesnt start until about 3 months. Abortion is a hideous crime (dude, who would cut a babie's spinal cord right at birth but a murderer?) but women still need ways to avoid children. so I propose that so called "partial birth" abortions be made illegal while drugs like RU-486 be kept legal.

5. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    The core of the earth is molten and you don't have proof of hells non-exsistance. Saying I don't believe in hell is far more accurate because to say that you know implies proof. Not saying that hell is in the core though. Just saying that places of fire are prevelent in the universe.

Neither does religion. It doesn't try to know everything either. It tries to learn as much about humanity and the universe as possible, just as science does. The difference is in the methods used to do so.

That's a very uninformed view. Science and religion both do this in their own different ways. Science uses the scientific method and religion uses its own ways in addition to the scientific method. A great many religious people look inward and outward constantly while trying to better themselves. They study history and ancient empires. They learn about the human condition and why people do various things. They study the Bible and try to use the many tips on how to live a good life. Religious people don't just accept everything they read but research and study through both religious and secular means to understand what the Bible means by certain things. A good Christian for example does not simply say that "this is the will of God." They try to bring up proofs through use of history, events, the Bible and many other things. In fact I rarely hear people say this is God's will. Not many people have the daring to come forward and try to tell others that they know what God's will is in something unless it has been said in the Bible and researched to throroughly discover its meaning.

People come up with theories in both science and religion. Do they just come up with a theory out of thin air? Not really. They research and come up with a written plan to explain things and then submit it for review. The same happens in both circles.

Now there will always be people who claim to know some special command that God has given but there are rogues in the scientific community as well. People who fail to use the standard methods in their entirety.

I don't remember anyone thinking that litterally. Perhaps metephorically speaking though. As in looking on from above.

Cells are alive and so they have life before three months. So life does begin at conception. Now conciousness, like you say is indeed another question altogther. It is the morality and understanding of whether the baby is indeed a conscious being that people truely debate, not life.

I guess I just don't like it when I hear people saying that science or religion are inherently flawed and inaccurate. (Not that you have said this.) That is a generalization and is simply not true. Amounst a group you always find exceptions. They are two separate and interwoven systems that can compliment each other. The problem is that some people are too narrow to give both a truely fair chance and dismiss one at the slightest mistake or scandal. Various scientific facts and theories are proven wrong all the time while numerous others are proven correct. Do you dismiss science all together just because of a perceived mistake? I think that unlikely. The same should go for religion debate and attempts to explain life and the universe. These people are trying to research and improve the human condition also, just in a different way.

I think the problem with religion is that it deals with so many things that are hard to prove. Things like God and the internal human condition. It's hard to accurately prove various things internal to a human being, whether you use science or some mixture of other methods. The people who tried to scientifically deduce the "world's funniest joke" may have gone about things in a semi logical mannor but it is obvious from their results that discovering and proving things from within the human mentality are more difficult to accurately produce than with your average scientific study.

6. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    last night me and my brother went to see four feathers. in front of the theater was a person handing out fliers about jesus for some local church or something. she stopped my brother and gave him one. he glanced at the flier and said, "no thanks, i despise all religion." the look on her face was classic. :yeah:

so many religious people aren't secure in their own religion. they must force it on others. weak

7. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yes with many people that is true. Of course the majority of people tell others because they believe that they are sharing something of importance and that people should be given the chance to consider these things. That does not come from a desire to gain support and so strengthen themselves, it comes out of a desire to help people discover peace in their lives. That isn't weakness, that is attempted kindness. Whether you believe in what they are saying or not, they are just trying to be helpful. It takes a HUGE amount of strength to face people when you know that there is an excellent chance that they may ridicule you or totally dimiss what you have to say. That's not really weak.

If you don't care to talk to them then don't. It's just like a homeless person asking for money. Just try to ignore them if you don't want to deal with them.

8. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    No, no, no, God damnit, no!

Hell is not a firey ****ing furnace down in the core of the Earth. And heaven isn't a lovely ****ing cloud with a gate.

These are metaphors. Do you understand? METAPHORS. They are used to explain what we cannot comprehend.

And yeah, modern day catholicism, christianism, etc... are all ****ed up. They all think that Sunday is some special day and if you go to church on sunday while doing absolutely nothing else during the week you're somehow saved.

Church is only there to allow you to worship with others in safety. It's supposed to be a minor part of your relationship with God. As a follower of Christ you're supposed to constantly "talk" to God, meditate on his word, practice your faith, etc..

Practicing your faith is not handing out flyers trying to get people to come to church. Church is completely unnecessary for worship.

9. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    Exactly.

That's a general misconception. I've yet to hear any church actually say such at thing. Their common message for salvation is through Jesus and his sacrifice and not going showing up at church. It's sad how people have warped this somehow.

I would say that it is practicing your faith in a way. You are showing enough confidence in your faith to face the general public ridicule and attempt to help people by sharing something that has helped you. You by no means have to do this though. It's just what some people like to do. Church is unnecessary but it can often be helpful under various circumstances. People can believe in something and pray anywhere though. It's not like the Chinese Christians in China have many church buildings. It's the gathering together to support each other and discuss things that can be helpful now and then. Not the building.

10. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    I have a nasty ingrown toe nail. Anyways, last night I cut away a lot of the skin on the side and soaked it in hot water. Now we all now what that does. So this morning I lanced it and ooooh boy! I covered half my toe with pus.

So nasty, yet so erotic?

11. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    Puss is cool. :Beavis/Butthead laugh: :retard:

Had the same happen, minus the hot water.

12. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    I only wear socks now at school. Any other time I'm bare-foot. My feet are weird because they sweat or something when they get warm. So I have a wet and warm environment in my socks. Lots of bacteria hanging around, and the skin is much more sensitive due to the increased presence of water.

13. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Do you guys prefer to make your pancakes and french toast with oil or butter? Normally I use olive oil, but today I decided to use some butter in the pan and I think it worked better. Butter seems to keep the pancakes softer, while the oil makes them crisper on the outside.

14. aleldtritch

aleldtritch Peasant

Market Rating:

Alot of churches have 'programs' where, for example, you go to church on a friday 7 times a year, for 7 years, and you're guaranteed a spot in heaven.

15. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    don't catholics have that confession thing where you can confess your sins and have a clean slate until you sin again? that seems ridiculous to me. my grandmother is catholic. :shake:

i killed a man, i confess. woot! i'm saved again! :yeah:

16. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    i have problems with ingrown toe nails too, mostly just on my big toes. i have perfected my toe nail cutting strategy so that they rarely get infected... i am able to completely remove the ingrown nail on the side of my nail. i have to do this every couple months. one time i had my doctor numb my toes and take each ingrown part out by the root and then use some kind of killing agent to kill the nail bed where the ingrown part grows. two months later they grew back. doh! so now i just cut them myself.

17. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    I get minor ingrown stuff on the big toes but only very rarely. I cut the side too.

18. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    If catholics knew that they didn't have to go to church to be saved then the greedy priests wouldn't be getting their 200k a year salary from the offerings.

19. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    I know I'm supposed to cut my toenails straight across and leave a bit on the end, and I do that, but it doesn't matter. The nail will just cut the skin on the side and then get infected. It's only the left side of my left big toe. I've been getting them for like ten years now.

20. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    Ouch that's quite a lot. :eek: The last church that I went to only received about 100k/year and released detailed documentation to all members each year. People voted on what to spend the money on, (building, staff, events, missions, etc...) and people's salaries were carefully increased/decreased as needed. The church wasn't Catholic though. My grand parents were Catholic though so my mom would know more about that.

Right now my right thumb is healing from being ingrown. I had to be extra sure to wear proper gloves while doing dishes and other simular activities. Hurt a bit when playing games. :mad:

Dad: "Pain builds character."

Hitometer: 53,946,875 since 1995