Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

study concludes alcohol most harmful drug

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jakeman, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I have been saying this for years (as many of you well know). My arguments are rejected by 100% of my peers.

As the article notes, alcohol is mostly harmful to others (as opposed to the individual user).

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/01/alcohol.harm/index.html?hpt=C1

2. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    It is not surprising at all, really. Alcohol always gets overlooked, simply because it's legal.

The thing is, people enjoy altered states of mind, always have, always will. They will find ways to achieve this, whether legally or not. And so, with alcohol legal, people will continue to make excuses for it, because it really is a powerful drug.

3. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    I wonder if it would have the same results if heroin was as widely used as alcohol. My "friends" are still in the rebellious and immature phase when they think getting drunk regularly is cool. Most of them use their drunkenness as an excuse to be as rude and destructive and stupid as they can. Only one or two know when to stop, the rest just drink until they throw up. I am sick of it.

4. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Good point.

Also, how the drug is used may be an important factor. Alcohol is a social drug which increases its potential to harm other people.

5. smack

smack Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Sensationalized news title.

"Study: Alcohol 'most harmful drug,' followed by crack and heroin."

Should be:
    "Study: Alcohol 'most indirectly harmful drug,' followed by crack and heroin."

When it comes to drugs most people don't define "harm" as excluding the user.

But yeah, opioids make people withdrawn.

SpocKirk has a good point. Look at China's past problem with opium. I wouldn't trade the current state of things for that.

The word "drug" is a problem. It's an abstraction that stops people from understanding. The cloud computing of the "drug" world.

Hitometer: 53,850,351 since 1995