Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

star trek 12

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jakeman, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Time for a new thread to bash the upcoming movie.

Teaser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=diP-o_JxysA

Like most teasers, this one is a huge cum shot. It remains to be seen how good the sex is.

It looks like Abrams learned his lesson about one-dimensional villains:

http://geektyrant.com/news/2012/12/...trek-into-darkness-villain-john-harrison.html

That bodes well.

We still don't know what the plot is. Hopefully it's something worthy of the name Star Trek, unlike the previous movie.

2. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    Star Trek is "big idea" sci-fi. In order to have a successful Star Trek movie you first must have the right "big idea." Even the characters are basically archetypes as are its villains. So the question then becomes, what is "Into the Darknesses" big idea?

3. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    New trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRruvwaYW30

It's shaping up to be a good drama. The first teaser was pure action. The newest teaser is all about character drama and emotional depth.

Still no sign of space travel, discovery, moral and ethical ideals, sociopolitical commentary, or thinking. So far I see no sign of trek in this latest movie.

4. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    I think Star Wars is a better fit for him.

5. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Oh definitely.

6. SpocKirk

Market Rating:
  7. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    my review of ST12

1) Cold fusion reactions are not cold. "Cold" refers to low activation energy. The actual fusion reaction is highly exothermic. Using cold fusion to freeze a volcano makes no sense.

2) Why did the Enterprise hide under water? Would they not have been seen entering the atmosphere and entering the ocean? That civilization was obviously pre-telescope. Just keep the enterprise in high orbit. It wouldn't be seen from the surface.

3) The entire opening scene is a contradiction of the prime directive. They are essentially arguing about not interfering with an alien culture while interfering with an alien culture. They are trying to interfere secretly by stopping the volcano without them knowing, but stopping the volcano is already interference. Star Fleet captains (Kirk included) have violated the prime directive on numerous occasions so I have no problem with that fact of the matter. But it's a problem when you contradict yourself while trying to rationalize the action. It's like they are writing the story backwards, starting with action scenes and then filling in the blanks with nonsense.

4) I find it highly awkward that they re-promoted Kirk to captain again in ST12, under ridiculous circumstances just like they did in ST11. In ST11 Kirk stowed away, became first officer, and then trolled his way into the captain's chair by taunting Spock. Then in ST12 he was demoted to cadet, promoted again to first, and then given his command again by the very admiral that demoted him in the first place. The first time was a stretch but it was perhaps forgivable since they needed some way to establish Kirk as captain. But why do it a second time? It is as if strife and conflict are being used as an end in themselves. Very poor.

5) "Transwarp transporter" doesn't make sense. "Warp" is a measure of velocity. You don't say "light speed transporter." This movie uses "transwarp" to describe both engines and transporters. It's an engine technology, not a transporter technology.

6) Beaming from Earth to Kronos? Please. Beaming between planets in the same solar system in ST11 was already well in excess of the maximum transport range of 40,000 kilometers, saying nothing of beaming between two different solar systems. They are taking excessive liberties with technology in the new universe. This creates lots of problems. For example, you don't need star ships to travel anymore if you can just beam to your destination.

6) The "captain's oath" at the end of the movie was not an oath, it was the intro dialogue from the TV series. An oath is a factual statement or a promise, not a third person narrative like the intro dialogue. The dialogue that he recited was also awkward because it speaks to what Star Trek was before the reboot and it is implied that the new crew will now return to the old ways. I would welcome such a return but that sort of defeats the purpose of the reboot. This reboot universe is having an identity crisis.

7) The brief conversation with Spock Prime was very odd. Spock Prime basically says, "I can't tell you about the future, but now I will tell you about the future." It was self-contradictory and contributed nothing to the plot.

8) Khan's voice is like dark chocolate ice cream with walnuts. Yummy.

9) Lens flares are still there.

10) The new emotional Spock just isn't working out. He frequently demonstrates emotion and makes it clear that he understands emotion, but then he reverts to his logical persona which is oblivious to emotion. The oblivious Spock was always used as a mild source of comedy and they still use him as such, but the joke becomes confused when in the very next scene Spock is crying and talking openly about his emotions.

11) The end scene where Kirk dies in the core made me literally LOL. The entire scene was lifted from ST2 with many exact quotes. And Spock yelling "Khan" was just strange and also a ripoff. Directly copying that entire scene was obviously meant to appeal to trekkies who have seen ST2, but as a member of that target audience I have to say that the entire scene rang hollow and made me laugh. The fact that it was copied made it seem very fake which totally killed the emotional climax that it was meant to be. Imagine a Blade Runner remake where the ending scene is copied word for word but Deckard and Roy have switched places. It's just weird and fake and laughable if you have seen the original, and it certainly does not carry the same emotional weight.

12) The entire middle of the movie was actually very good, between the time that the Enterprise was sent to Kronos and when they warped back to Earth. The Khan story was good. The admiral's story was good. Using Khan's torpedos against him was a nice turn. I re-watched the movie a few times and explored a few possible plot holes in the middle of the movie, but I found everything to be in order. No problems except for the conversation with Spock Prime which I mentioned previously.

13) Khan and Admiral Marcus both had depth which was good (much better than Nero). Otherwise the characters were extremely weak just like in ST11. The Spock/Ohura relationship still has no basis beyond sympathy. I still do not like Vulcans being portrayed as closet humans with respect to their emotions because it takes away an important dimension of a now very one-dimensional crew. All of the other Enterprise crew members still have no depth to them.

14) Carol Marcus's little cock tease in the shuttle annoyed me personally because I hate it when women do that to me.

15) In ST11 reference was made to Nurse Chapel onboard the Enterprise, but in ST12 they said she left the Enterprise to become a nurse. Contradiction.

16) Khan is 5x stronger than humans. Vulcans are 3x stronger than humans. Since Khan has a 66% strength advantage I would have expected him to fare better in his fight with Spock. Spock is also half human which should have given Khan an even greater advantage.

17) It was a little too convenient that Scotty boarded the Admiral's ship, and that the Enterprise fell out of warp just 200,000 kilometers from Earth.

8. SpocKirk

Market Rating:
  9. SpocKirk

Market Rating:

Hitometer: 53,554,143 since 1995