Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

star trek 11

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jakeman, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    My thread on the startrek.com forum actually turned into a decent discussion, although it was somewhat distracted. It immediately turned into something of a dictionary argument about what it is to be Vulcan instead of their impact on the new Trek universe. Strangely, and also expectedly given how polarized the topic became, people were making the case that Vulcans are emotional and they lie. That's pretty crazy.

:confused:

2. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    Does Star Trek: Enterprise count as canon? From what I remember, the Vulcans lied.

3. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Enterprise was generally awful, save a few episodes. It took a direction that I would not consider to be Trek. I also think it was heavily 9-11 influenced.

A lot of people in that thread are arguing canon. I am loyal to TNG more than any other series so that is my source for canon, but everyone likes different series.

Spock is a very poor example when arguing what it is to be Vulcan because he is half human. In the latest movie Spock decided to side with his humanity which is valid but, I would argue, very unfortunate for the Trek universe since our chief Vulcan representative now amounts to a human with pointy ears. The logical perspective that Spock always provided has now been compromised. That is my main complaint. The crew is very one-dimensional now.

_____

As a side note... I really hope they don't use Spock prime anymore. I can see his character turning into a continuing bad plot device whereby JJ Abrams uses him to introduce any technology he wants into his universe. The freak range warp speed transporters were pulled straight out of his ass, and I can imagine far more ridiculous tech lying in wait for the purpose of cheap thrills.

4. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
  5. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    :wave2:

:rofl:

6. Wiezzen

Wiezzen Peasant

Market Rating:
  7. Jakeman

Market Rating:
  8. SpocKirk

Market Rating:
  9. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    It's weird. I think the joke was in all of the lens flares and camera effects, but I didn't even notice them the first time I watched it. I had to read the youtube comments before I noticed those effects. I think my brain has a noise filter that cuts down to the raw substance of everything.

My initial reaction was simply, "ok, so they cut out all of the character and plot development leaving only the action scenes."

10. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    The crew in star trek 11 doesn't seem to have any real desire to go out into space. There is no sense of wonder and awe at exploring the unknowns of space which is an overarching theme that is constant throughout most of star trek (except DS9).

The only two characters who have any semblance of motivation are Kirk and Spock. Kirk is there out of a sense of duty and ego after having been goaded by Pike. Spock is also there out of ego after his little spat with the Vulcan science academy. I suppose ego is better than no reason at all.

11. SpocKirk

Market Rating:
  12. Jakeman

Market Rating:

Hitometer: 53,810,985 since 1995