Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

star trek 11

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jakeman, Jul 27, 2007.

1. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    I think JJ Abrams is the fanbois' flavor of the month Director/Producer.

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0796366/usercomments

A new user review on imdb:

Very discouraging. This person clearly shares my values when it comes to the star trek universe. If this review is accurate then my suspicions about the movie are confirmed.

He basically says the movie is for dumb ****s (in so many words). I tend not to get that personal in my criticisms, but I must admit to sharing that opinion of recent star trek movies and series increasingly since Gene died.

:cry:

3. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    There is a space for intelligent sci-fi: Children of Men is a prime example and the two upcoming movies "The Road" and "9" both look interesting and intelligent. The kiss of death is broadening the audience. I'm always for challenging the audience and trusting in their intelligence. I mean, sci-fi doesn't have to be 2001 (high extreme of inaccessibility) or Judge Dredd (the lowest common demoninator).

Hollywood is leary of making slow developing, intelligent, challenging sci-fi movies. I mean, look what they did with Alien 3 (a movie originally written by a brilliant sci-fi writer (script not used, because Ripley would have spent the majority of the movie in a coma) and directed by David Fincher for godssake!). It apparently got so bad, that David Fincher walked out of the production and it was edited without him.

4. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I am dismayed to find that the above-quoted user review seems to have been removed. The only thing I can figure is that when I last saw that review it was being rated down quite heavily (most people didn't find it "useful"). Maybe they remove reviews that are found not to be useful. Though I'm not sure how that review could be considered any more or less useful than the others.

All of the remaining reviews are virtually identical. They are all worshiping this movie as being amazing, thrilling, stunning, etc. It reads like a movie cover quoting select reviews.

I smell astroturfing.

5. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Recently movies have had reviews that don't fit them at all. It's as though Hollywood is paying people for reviews and trying to get rid of the reviews that are actually useful. Just look at the reviews for Dragonball Evolution. I don't know how that movie ever got a C rating but every review I've read (except for maybe 4) says that it sucked and they all gave it an F. Only a handful gave it an A+ for some unknown reason but most people already know that it's garbage.

6. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    Have you read "Pattern Recognition?" Not far off, I'm sure.

And Jake, like I said, JJ Abrams is Fanboi flavor of the month.

7. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0796366/usercomments

There are plenty of positive reviews to go around, but they all seem to ignore my star trek values. The positive reviews all like to cite superficial aspects of the movie, saying nothing of the substance. It's the negative reviews that share my values. Here is another one from IMDB:

This review is also being rated down.

And another review which isn't quite so scathing but pretty much confirms my expectations:

That is my expectation... that this will be a decent movie in its own right but not at all worthy of the name, Star Trek.

8. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Both of the reviews I quoted in my previous post have now been removed from IMDB.

**** this.

9. Jakeman

Market Rating:
  10. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Just for gee wiz, to see if they get deleted:

Not encouraging.

This next one has lots of spoilers. Do not read below this if you don't want to spoil the movie.

I am highly suspect of the use of an alternate universe in the plot. Historically almost every trek episode that has used an alternate universe has been epic fail. The alternate universe concept is often abused as a means to legitimize shitty plots.

11. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    Going to see it in about three hours. I'll report back at some point.

12. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I am interested to know what you think of it.

I'm not gonna see it in the theater. I can't risk supporting something that I expect will deeply offend my trek sensibilities. I am going to stick to my original plan:

I'll report back at some point. ;)

13. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    I'm watching the 9:30pm showing at Galaxy. I'll let you know.

14. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    For what it's worth, at the time of this posting the movie has a 94% positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes, with 128 out of 136 reviewers giving it a positive review. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_trek_11/

15. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
  16. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    My thoughts:
    Alternate universe is a cop-out, but good story overall without dumbing it down to attract new people. Pretty accessible, although there are lots of inside jokes. Discovering the characters and how they fit into the classic roles is fun for the fan.

They overplayed the sex in the previews, since that is the only scene and it is as long as it is in the preview. Just classic Kirk flirting.

17. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    Rotten Tomatoes is a pretty horrible rating to go off of. Every single reviewer can give it a 6/10 and it'll get a 100% rating on RT. It's much more useful if you actually read the reviews, and if you do, you find things like http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090506/REVIEWS/905069997 and http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/cinema/2009/05/18/090518crci_cinema_lane

The most disappointing part of the film was everybody else giggling knowingly at obvious wisecracks to commonly stereotyped occurrences, like the fourth away team member who will of course be killed post haste.

I actually had very high hopes for it up until the "space jump." Then I started getting angry. It's an entertaining movie, but it is no Star Trek and it isn't for anyone who likes their scifi to have at least a little bit of technological/scientific coherency.

18. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    That would drive me crazy.

19. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    I did read Ebert's review, as I usually do. He's been doing it a long time, he's a good writer, and his opinion on movies generally echoes my own.

For the most part he liked it, although of course he also noted the flaws in the science.

I think the negative reviewer I linked earlier hit it on the head when he said they were trying to broaden Trek's audience, as they did with the very first Trek movie (which by the way, sucked). I don't think that's a bad goal, but of course to do that you risk alienating the people who feel the Trek universe belongs to them and is somehow sacrosanct.

Anyway, I thought Insurrection and Nemesis were steaming piles of dogshit, so this movie has nowhere to go but up in my opinion.

20. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Oh and by the way RT also reports the average rating, which right now is at 8.1/10. I disagree with your saying it's a horrible measure. RT and Metacritic are currently the two most commonly accepted barometers of a movie's overall reception. Metacritic currently scores the movie at 84 out of 100, based on 35 reviews.

Hitometer: 53,586,182 since 1995