Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Stable...pfft

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gekko, Mar 10, 2001.

1. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    I am on my PC (too tired to realize it) and i decided to open up Norton Sytemworks. Since i reinstalled Windows back in January, i've had a file named Ddhelp crash 135 times!

It's a Windows System file too, and i can't just copy it off the CD to replace my current one. I'll have to reinstall the OS again. And last time i reinstalled it over 13 times before it worked at all. It would be nice if the Windows CD would have something where it detects corrupted Windows files and that crap, then fixes them. But does it? No, Microsoft makes it.

But wait, i reinstalled Windows in January, and now it's March. That means i only got around 3 full months off of this. Think about that, I'm averaging 2 crashes a day with only one file!

Damn, where's my G4?

2. zxcvbnm

zxcvbnm Peasant

Market Rating:
    What are you specs? I find it rather odd that you have so many crashes. My current install of windows is from the end of december, and I experience no crashes. The last one was at least 2 weeks ago, and that was due to trying to run old software that doesn't like a modern computer. I'm curious as to what you have done to your computer to make it crash twice a day.

3. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    PIII 600mhz
    8x DVD-ROM
    8x6x36 CD-RW
    37.5GB HD
    Zip 250MB internal
    ATI Radeon 64MB DDR
    Montego II A3D
    3COM v.90 winmodem
    some Intel ethernet card
    Other crap...running Windows Me

Made by Dell...one of the leaders :rolleyes:

4. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    I've only had to reinstall my OS once, and that was on my old computer because I resedited everything all up....Too much customization is a bad thing :D

5. zxcvbnm

zxcvbnm Peasant

Market Rating:
    Why can't you just recopy the broken file? Doing a search I found it (ddhelp) located in windows\system and windows\sysbckup. If all you need to fix is that file, then start up in safe mode and see if you can copy it from there. Have you installed any beta drivers or programs that mess with the system folder?

6. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    I can't reinstall the file. I don't have the copy of the original file. I said that in the first post.

7. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    ...out of my area of knowledge. At CompUSA we just tell the customer we'll need the restore disks to wipe and reload. :D

8. zxcvbnm

zxcvbnm Peasant

Market Rating:
    Zephor runs WinME. Ask him for the file.

9. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    It's a DirectX file. I tried installing the latest version of DirectX 8 and it froze (suprise suprise). Then i tried reinstalling WinME and that froze too.

I used DXDiag.exe and it said there were no problems with the DDhelp.exe file :wtf:

10. Grizzly

Grizzly Peasant

Market Rating:
    Startup disk, format c:, reinstall windows. Save yourself the hassle of searching for a random file.

And I agree with zxcvbnm, I have a Pentium2 400 running for 1 1/2 years, crash free. My Athlon 900 w/ an Asus A7V has been running crash free for 2 weeks (there were major BIOS problems with the A7V), and my newly upgraded w/ an Abit KT7A has been running crash free for 3 days (I bought it 7 days ago).

I just made a Duron 600@800 system for my Dad, running crash free for 12 hours (just assembled 3 days ago).

11. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    I reinstalled Windows well over 13 times, and i'm not going to do it again. It should work right the first time, it didn't. It's no longer my problem, but the problem of the shitty Microsoft programmers who i will soon capture and use as punching bags for PC users.

Sure...i would return it, it's still under warrenty damnit, but have you dealt with Dell before? Those guys are idiots. You can tell them you have a faulty part and you sit on the phone for 3 hours to prove it to them and finally they decide to stick you on with another support guy before they will replace the part.

12. zxcvbnm

zxcvbnm Peasant

Market Rating:
    How can you have installed Windows 13 times and still have it not work? I would think that if your computer is basicly going straight to hell fairly often, that would imply that you are doing something to mess up your install. I have not had an install just magically go bad. Its only after installing bad software that things go wrong.

13. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    Well knowing Windows freezes the first time you load it, it's obviously something that happened when Windows installed. It's nothing i did, it's why Macs kick ass.

14. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    possible hardware as the cause. But Macs still kick ass! hehe.

15. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    This is Grizzly

It seems that DaGoreMaster forgot to log out of all the macs in the lab.

I will try to convince Smack Down not to exploit this too much.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2001
  16. Grizzly

Grizzly Peasant

Market Rating:
    If your computer crashes while loading Windows for the first time, try booting into Safe Mode.

Your problems seem rather major. If your computer came that way, you should have returned it long ago.

I have had no problems I could not fix on a PC. I am surprised you have so many problems...

17. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    I just logged on, and what do I see? SOME IDIOT CHANGED MY SIG AND TITLE?!?!

That's it. from now on, I will flame anyone I suspect of being SmackDown.

SmackDown, you are lucky to be alive. I will see you tomorrow.

"you'll get knocked the Fk out! Cause your mouth's writing checks that your ass cant catch!"

18. zxcvbnm

zxcvbnm Peasant

Market Rating:
    ROOFLE!!

19. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    With a clean install of Windows 98 (i have to downgrade my PC), it appears to be working. Sweet! I get UT at last!

And now i can trade with myself on D2 also...and play all the PC games i own. This is great!

Then again...i have a G4 coming, so i won't enjoy it for long :)

20. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    make sure to hit the log out link at the bottom right of the forum home page when leaving the comp.

Hitometer: 53,830,851 since 1995