Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

So, what's new everyone?

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by Moose, Aug 16, 2001.

1. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    That should work. Expect to hear from me at about 8:45. The dogs will go to obedience class from 7:30 to 8:30, but we usually get out a few minutes early. I have a character all set. I even leveled him to clvl 3. I was surprised how much easier it was to get to lvl 3 with a ranger. It was tough with the necromancier. That and sharing exp with your pet when the pet makes the final blow sucks. I can tell him to back off but it only works if the target flees. If it stays and fights so will the pet.

I am using the lvl 8 pet spell. Works well. With a rusty sythe he will double attack about 40% of the time and hit each time for about 15 points of damage. It is nice b/c creatures the /con yellow are still doable with little impact on me. I think that I will hit clvl 10 in about 1.5 hours of play. Level 12 here I come! I look forward to the doors that will open at that level!

2. BudIcePenguin

BudIcePenguin Peasant

Market Rating:
    hey everybody! I'm back for now with some good news and bad news. GOOD NEWS: I FINALLY GOT d2 EX PACK (i'm a poor boy this is a really good thing for me so don't make me feel more jealous with a level 93 druid and 86 assassin ok?) AND I'm using a G4 which runs the game much much faster now (no osx yet but i'll work on it) BAD NEWS: my connect is about 45k/sec as opposed to my old cable. Cable and sattelite are not offered in the area, neither is DSL. The phone company should be out here sometime within the next month to install ISDN but it's very very expensive over here and the service sucks. They took 2 weeks to figure out the lines are suitable for it even though theres a )(&(*&^&%&*%&)(* ISDN BOX ALREADY HERE!!! and of course I'm as annoying as always! thats whats new in my life.

Oh ya, England is beautiful but the services suck, people drive on the wrong side, and every call is charged, as is public television.

3. BudIcePenguin

BudIcePenguin Peasant

Market Rating:
    :topic::spam: I know I know

4. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    Ouch, well if it makes you feel any better I am still on 56K dial-up. Pretty much sucks!

5. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    Hehe. I tried a yellow a while back. Not a good idea if you're a melee only. Fwap! Er, where was my body again? =) If you want to start up another character later on Vazaelle, I'll help you out with cash and power-levelling.

I went into Crushbone with Kandrak last night and spent 8 hours collecting Crushbone belts. I figure I should be able to get my ranger to 8 or 9 in about 10 minutes... Hehe.

Oh, I also started a Barbarian on Luclin to reciprocate. I must say, Halas really sucks. Snow ont he ground, dark all the time, twisty. Jeez. :D

6. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    yellow?

I don't understand the terminology, but I want to.

7. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    What that means is when you /con a creature (consider attacking it) it will display a message in a color. So if I see a bear and click on it to target it and then type /con a message will appear in my text area indicating how risk an opponent it is. So for example, the yellow we are talking about would say something like "your enemy scowls at you -- looks like quite a gamble". This tells you that fighting this creature is gonna hurt, possibly resulting in death and having to find your body, but the bright side is that it will be worth more exp.

So a red, which will ask you what you would like your tombstone to say would be worth lots of exp if you can kill it. Then:

A yellow worth more exp since it is a higher level (think championish) of the creature type, then:

White/Black about equal to your lvl - still full exp but it is the base amount, then:

Blue, which will tell you that it looks like you have the upper hand, still worth exp, but less then the base amount, finally:

Green, kill for the sake of killing b/c it is not worth any exp. You may so this to get bone chips (to make pets if you are a necro) or to get drops suck as pelts to use when tailoring or a few coins or a rusty weapon to sell or give to a pet.

It is a good system.

Sparhawk, are you selling the pelts to get exp? I know I have heard people selling things like wine and such to the same person tio gain a few lvls, is that the plan? I wouldn't mind doing that to my necro. I am thinking of starting that Ranger on your server. I think that a Ranger would be an interesting character. I will be looking in to it. So maybe a power lvling session is in order in the future!

I won't say a yellow is an easy target for a necro but in many ways it is. I first cast a spell light siphon strength at my target. This causes the target to dish out less damage. Then hit is with a DoT (damage over time) spell like clinging darkness (which slows the target down and does damage). By this time the target is really close, so I tell my pet to "kill" the target. I am out of harms way so I cast a spell like poison bolt which is another DoT spell with a DD (damage delt on impact, then over time). Now I attack so that I can take some damage and let my pet recover a little. Then, after I take a beating, I step back (and hope the creature is not aggro, meaning it WANTS to get only me) and cast a few life taps to recover and then get back into it and start calling my pet off so I can make the final blow to get the full exp. If the pet does the kill I get just over 1/2 the exp. If I kill it I get the full deal. So there are some big advantages to having pets!

8. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    There's four official levels of difficulty. When you click on a monster (from a distance, mind you. No good doing this from point blank range), it returns two pieces of info. a) the monster's level in comparison to yours and b) the toughness of the monster.

The progression is Green (go ahead and whack it), Blue (should be okay), White/black (color depends on which view you have open, tougher, on a par with you), yellow (woah, better think about this and make sure you have backup or full health and spells), and Red (you're gonna die). There's also one unofficial color above that, Brown. As in, holy shit, that Giant is running after my ass <whack, 100 points> help! <whack, 150 points> HEEEELP! <whack, 125 points> MEEEEEEE! <whack, he steps on you, you die>.

There's a problem with the system, though. It doesn't take into acocunt magical abilities. So, if you start whacking on a guy that's blue to you, thinking he's okay, and it turns out he's a caster (magician, necro, etc), he's said to be 'under conned'. He's actually yellow. Can get messy. There's a guy in one area I went after, he was green to me. Turned out he was a caster. Ow. Cast fear on me, I started running (no control, it does this at random), and he started backstabbing me for 75 points a hit. <You have died. Loading...>

9. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:

Not sell, it's a quest. You turn in the belts to a guy in the dwarf city and he gives you experience and a piece of crappy armor. Ok for a newbie. As for the power levelling session, I'm up for that. I'll drop 10 plat or so on you so you can get the basic equipment and we can group so I can power level you through crushbone...

I use the spell flash of light, which blinds the target and reduces his defenses. The only problem with this is the program recognizes that I've made the monster easier by doing this and thus downgrades the toughness, thus the experience. So if I whack a white and use FoL on it, I only get the exp I would for a blue. That's not good, as the white hits for more damage more often that the blue does. I didn't realize this until a while ago, as I noticed my fighting skills seemed to be stuck for some reason (dodge, offense and defense werent't advancing with my levelling. I was at 102 when everything else was at 130). Messy.

10. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    It is funny you mention the "under-coning" issue. I was on over the weekend and decided that I was strong enough to explore all of the Nektulous Forest. Well I ran into some inate halflings that /con'd blue so I thought "what the hell" tank the pet in an see what happens. Well, there were 3, I could only see one from my position, so my pull brought them all. They started casting all sorts of stuff at me. The first, which really sucked was roots. So here I am standing still, taking damage, then the screen has a red tint to it and the message says "you are burning". About 2 seconds later the "you have died, loading...." screen is up. I think that all the bodies in the area should have tipped me off. That sucked.

Who do you give the crushbone pelts to to get exp for them?

11. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    :suspect: this game is really starting to look interesting... hmm.. i'll just wait for Neverwinter Nights

12. BudIcePenguin

BudIcePenguin Peasant

Market Rating:
    Quote: Moose:Ouch, well if it makes you feel any better I am still on 56K dial-up. Pretty much sucks!

Moose, I recently found out I can only get a 56k. In my area, that IS the fastest thing. there IS no cable, ISDN is twice the cost and 5 times the trouble for only 64k. No DSL, no satellite, hell I probably couldn't even get connected fast if I ran an eithernet cable directly to the friggin ISP! It might take another 6 weeks just for them to consider plugging in the cable!

13. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    I lived in England 3 years, in the north-east in between Durham and Sunderland. What area did you move to Bud, and are you in the service, or just a civilian job? Not to dishearten you, but a) most of Europe is about two years behind the States as far as Internet technology is concerned (broadband and the like), and b) I didn't meet many friendly people there...

--Haite

14. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    Hehe, you went into Nektulos Forest?!? You do know it's a DE sanctuary for Innorkuk, the God of Hate don't you? (or some junk). Minimum of level 30 before even THINKING of going in there. Messy. Sorta like me going into Lesser Faydark in the dead of night with my level 8. Oooh, not a good idea. Level 45 Brownie wizard, KOS to everyone. Zblat. <loading> Corpse run.... TWO brownie wizards. <loading> Two brownie wizards and a ghast. <loading> Sigh...

You go into South Kaladim and give them two at a time to Canloe...something in the bottom of the Warrior Guild. Have to be careful as there's two guys, one in each corner of the basement hallway. I don't remember which side it is. Check with www.everlore.com.

15. BudIcePenguin

BudIcePenguin Peasant

Market Rating:
    Replying to Haite: I'm living in a place by Ascot and Windsor called Virginia Water. Civilian job, thank god temporary. And so far I've noticed many people are stuck up, but I've met a few friendly people. I live by a shop that sells both fish & chips, and chinese food.

16. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Ah, the memories. Stopping by the "chippy" when you're just going out with friends can be nice, I liked the fish and chips. I'd recommend staying away from Pub food, the British aren't known for their cuisine (not to offend the British guy [argh, why can I never remember his name? I wanna say Fantom_Gazer but I thought he was someone else]). If you want good foreign food (Italian or whatnot), then find a restaraunt owned by a family that's come from that country, they can cook their own food :).

--Haite

17. BudIcePenguin

BudIcePenguin Peasant

Market Rating:
    I've heard that "English food" is about the worst you can get... thank goodness there's an italian place nearby. And there's a Mexican restaurant, with VERY few items remotely spicy. There's a warning symbol next to everything with their "hot" sauce, which is about mild in the midwest. Strangely enough, there are 3 pubs and 3 wine shops close enough to make night runs, but the wine shops close at 5...

Hitometer: 53,595,972 since 1995