Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

So, what's new everyone?

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by Moose, Aug 16, 2001.

1. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    Well, to be fair, their servers are head and shoulders above diablo in reliability. Plus, you've acutally got someone in the game to go to if you're having problems (most of the time). They do let you have the first month free, which was cool.

As for not signing up for a server account, it's that or nothing. There's no single player or lan play. This is a true MMORPG, so the only way you play is their servers. Their rules can be somewhat draconian at times too. No swearing. If you do, people can report you to the GMs. Now, usually they don't do much of anything. If it's particularly egregious (you're making a total ass out of yourself or saying racist stuff) they'll warn you. Cheating is really the only thing that will get you suspended or banned. I really haven't had any problems with anyone (well, a couple of people were being asses, so I called them on it then /ignored them).

2. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    Sparhawk, I will start a character on your end and figure out what to make so that I am in your local town. I am enjoying the game. I picked up the Ruins of Kunark (which also includes the normal version) for 15$ at EB in the local mall. I agree that paying to play is a bit much at times (b/c the 15$ game turns into one that is more expensive when you add in the monthly fee), but paying in larger chunks makes it cheaper. I think that 3 months (after the free one) was $23. So far the server is far better then Battle net in all ways. Still no lag deaths here. Somehow it appears that the lag occurs on both ends. Nice.

I have been thinking about starting an Druid or Pali. Maybe that is what I will start on your server so that when I start to play that charcter I can do it over there on your server. I think that the idea of playing a monk is cool too. We will see.

One hard thing that I am finding is that the economics are very different. For starters I am totally fresh. All items I am using I either made (tailoring skill) or have found. I still have trouble with $$$$ b/c spells are crazy expensive and when I hit certain lvls and the new spells open up to me I take advantage of it immediately.

My necro is hanging out in the east commons right now. Just doing scarabs, orcs, and cat creatures (lions, tigers, etc). I figure that after another 2 hours of play he will be lvl 9. I can't wait to reach 12. Supposedly my spells will rock. It is apparently a milestone age for a necro. We'll see.

So far it is worth it! The worst part is that when you start late, as I have, you really can't play with friends unless their characters are about the same age as yours since exp sharing doesn't happen if the lvl difference is more than 3 lvls. That part sucks.

3. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    And bears? Oh my!

Haha, sounds fun, I'll look into it. Unfortunately since I moved I can't go and try it at my friend's house.

--Haite

4. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:

Just make him a wood efl ranger and start in Kelethin. If you make him a wood elf, he can start in a number of places I think. If you make him a ranger, you won't get KOS as if you'd make him an inky (not sure if wood elves can be inkys).

Pally's are kinda hard because as they're a hybrid class, they don't really get the cool spells or the damage bonus that the other classes do.

That's for sure. It'll get better once you get rid of the damage cap past level 20. 1-19 I was doing 28-29 damage per hit. Once i got to 20, it shot up to 44-45 per hit.

After that, go to the east and west commonlands and start killing Kodiaks (watch out for the hill giants, werewolves, and griffins). If you find HQ bear pelts (fiarly rare sometimes, but I made good money off it), you can go to the trading center in the EC and sell them for 15pp apiece. The EC is the main trading center on every server. There's a tunnel in the southern border that leads to Northern Ro where the high levels gather to sell the uber items. People ususally SNAP up HQ pelts, as they can make weight reduction packs and sell them for a pretty penny.

5. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Every now and then in a computer geek's life, they have sudden revelations while reading either their words or those of someone else that permits them to see themselves from a non tech-savvy person's perspective. I have just had one such revelation while reading sparhawk's post, and I give it a geek factor of 10 :p. Not that I don't sound the same, but the number of acronyms and l33t abbreviations we use is baffling :D.

--Haite

6. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    I suppose I could type out moveable object and dark elf and high powered items for MoB, DE, and uber, but what would be the point? Everyone in the conversation is now conversant with the jargon, so typing everything out using completely stardard english verbiage is counterproductive, as it causes those reading to a) assume you're showing off by using big words when this is how you normally talk and b) waste time by reading 40+ characters rather than 9.

7. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    Ok, started a wood elf named Darelk. That is the correct spelling. I got sick of trying to make names and just went with this. I will check and see if you are on. It is 1:30 EST on Sunday.

8. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    I'll be on at 4:30pm est today.

9. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    Sorry, I had to take Dad to the walk in clinic. Took longer than I thought. I'm on now if you're available.

10. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    I'll be on tomorrow around 8:30pm your time.

11. angus_prune

angus_prune Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Everquest a pc only game,this is a mac board ,isn't it.

12. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    A lot of us have PC's and Macs, and, although we prefer the Mac, we use the PC for anything we'd want that isn't available on Mac only. Cross-platform capability is very convenient.

--Haite

13. angus_prune

Market Rating:
    Oh! as an afterthought.I've seen a mention of it working with VPC. Has anybody got it to work with VPC.

14. angus_prune

Market Rating:
    On the ball there Haite.So, will it work with VPC.

15. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    :laugh:

16. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Be flexible Auto...

--Haite

17. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    you know how there are lots of PC peeps that won't get a mac because 'macs suck'? we all hate those people right? that attitude can go both ways. it doesn't matter how you feel about one platform or the other, it's that people justify themselves with purely subjective, irrational, unsupported reasons (like 'macs suck'. what is that?). it's called self-imposed ignorance.

18. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    last time we looked into it. it would not.

VPC doesn't emulate enough VRAM. You can have a swanky vid card in your system, but VPC acts as though you only have a small amount (4mb IIRC).

just came to the sudden realization that I have a PC on the way. MY father-in-law's laptop is being shipped out to us. I'll need to look into things, but I might be able to get a new addition after all. IIRC EQ, doesn't have the highest system reqs...

19. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    ah gimme a break, if i had a use for a PC i'd own one. since i dont play tribes or cs, i have no need to clutter up my desk with another computer.

20. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    cs sucks, i'll give ya that. :D

Hitometer: 53,596,456 since 1995