Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

shatter annoys me

Discussion in 'Character Building' started by Jakeman, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I have been deep frost with no shatter for a long time. My dps is already uber without shatter, but having it couldn't hurt. Yet I can't seem to incorporate shatter into my play style without it annoying the hell out of me.

1) Shatter is not that great in groups because the frozen enemies always get broken free by damage from other people before you can have a chance to proc shatter off of it. And of course there are many mobs that cannot be frozen at all. The only time when shatter is 100% useful is when you are soloing something.

2) I always feel the need to do shatter setups even when they are not appropriate. If I am not maximizing my abilities then I am wasting them. It's like a compulsion that interferes with my normal nuking where I just relax and mush a button. When I am dpsing for hours in any activity it gets tiring to spend my focus on constant setups, only to be annoyed when I lose maximization to problems like #1 (above).

3) Shatter is difficult to use in combination with the water elemental. In the presence of a shatter setup you can't have your water elemental attacking because he breaks the setup before you can use it. The water ele does not benefit from your talents, so he cannot proc shatter himself. The usefulness of the water ele is diminished considerably without his main attack... he becomes just another frost nova with a 3 minute cooldown. Shatter and the water ele are almost mutually exclusive talents in a way. Sure you can use the water ele's frost nova to setup shatter, but you have to stop what you are doing to summon him and cast his targetted frost nova, during which time you lose dps... it really is an inconvenient and micromanaged setup that isn't even needed for most mobs where the mage's more-easily-casted self frost nova is more than enough.

In conclusion, I don't like shatter because it isn't group friendly, it requires constant setups, and it doesn't agree with the water elemental which I have come to like very much.

2. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    I've always thought of Shatter as more of a PvP talent.

Oh and by the way, lrn2fire.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2007
  3. Calendryll

Calendryll MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    The new fire talents are awesome in pvp. Mages bitch about hunters but I get killed just as fast by mages, depending on who gets the first jump. I'm gonna hate to see you guys at level 70.

4. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I kill fast unless you get the first jump... then I kill you nice and slow. I love frost survivability with water ele.

Hitometer: 53,595,093 since 1995