Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

setting up OS9 G3 imac as home server

Discussion in 'Help Forum' started by hootowl, Apr 21, 2002.

1. hootowl

hootowl Peasant

Market Rating:
    anybody here have any info on setting up a mac as home server for a personal web site? i'm trying to go through zoneedit.com,downloaded and installed all necessary software. problem happens when i boot up with the "DynDNS background PPC " extension turned on, i get an error "exception of class, out of bounds, exception was not handled, application must shut down". i also get a bus error followed by crash. i'm running a 233mhz imac w/ 192mb of ram.i've tried all there versions. any suggestions?

2. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    If you only want to use it as a server then I'd suggest using os x. The GUI would be a bit on the slow side on that machine, but it would be MUCH MUCH better for serving sites and files.

3. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    ideally you want to be running OS X for web hosting. it has everything you need.

i've never tried hosting on OS 9 so i can't really help you. i'm not familiar with that error either. "exception of class"? i have no idea what that means. maybe it's talking about IP classes?

4. hootowl

hootowl Peasant

Market Rating:
    anybody know which firmware update i'll need to install OSX on my imac?
    also, my cd-rom is broke on my i-mac, i do have an external cd-rw drive hooked up, u must start up from install cd to install but it won't recognize drive when i boot up. i'm networked to a new G4, any way i can boot up from network?

5. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    The OS X installer updates your firmware I believe. Don't know about booting from network though... hmmz0r... You could from a hard driver for sure, but I don't know about CD-ROM...

--Haite

6. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    i'm not sure about a network install. try sharing the imac's hard drive and pulling up the share on your g4, then run the OS X installer from the finder on the g4 and select the iMac drive as the destination disk. maybe? i dunno, never done that before. ;)

ideally you should get the CDROM fixed. those things are expensive out of warranty though. i don't have my price lists in front of me but i'm gonna guess at least $200 for the drive (plus labor).

7. hootowl

hootowl Peasant

Market Rating:
    i did, don't work.lol i seen drives for $100, gonna have to order it i guess
    i can't seem to find any other way to install

8. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    they aren't very hard to install either. you might be able to do it yourself and save on labor. there are like 5 screws, and a few cables you have to get around. the slot loading iMacs are harder.

9. hootowl

hootowl Peasant

Market Rating:
    ok..i replaced cd-rom drive and installed OSX and updated. downloaded necessary items for ZoneEdit.com(DynDNS background application). it seems to work fine on my G4, but when i open it on my imac, i still get "An exception of class,OutOfBoundsException was not handled, The application must shut down". what am i doing wrong?

10. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    is there a tech support phone number for that program?

11. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Sounds like it's running in classic.

12. hootowl

hootowl Peasant

Market Rating:
    is there a different DNS service i could use. i'm not to familiar with setting that up, that is why ZoneEdit sounded so nice. don't have to manually update ip address when it changes. i'm also running through an smc barricade router which feeds 3 computers. any help would be greatly appreciated

13. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    I use http://www.no-ip.com

They also have a client that dynamically updates your ip address.

14. hootowl

hootowl Peasant

Market Rating:
    well i checked out no-ip. unfortunately, the client for auto update is the same one that i'm having problems with.what have i gotten myself into? lol.

15. hootowl

hootowl Peasant

Market Rating:
    ok...i decided not to have auto update of ip. when i transfer my site folder to the server and type the ip address in my browser, it says i don't have permission to access index.html. help me!!!!!!

Hitometer: 53,939,477 since 1995