Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

rootkit

Discussion in 'PC Forum' started by Jakeman, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I got a rootkit somehow. Had to reinstall Windows. Fun stuff.

As part of my new preventative measures I decided to turn off javascript in my browser. It's so much better. It's like I'm surfing the internet of the 90's. No automated crap, annoying popups or redirects, just plain old inactive web pages. Of course it breaks some sites but I'm not gonna sweat it. It seems like all of the major sites have these old versions of their web pages that surface when you don't have javascript enabled.

Javascript is such a bastard child. It's horribly incompatible and highly exploitable yet everyone uses it.

:retard:

2. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Even better:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722

I just found this. It lets you allow javascript for trusted sites only. And you can disable javascript for different domains within the same page which basically kills all slutty ads.

3. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    Slutty ads are pretty wicked when you're the advertiser. But yeah, we're not the kind of people to actually click on them so block 'em all.

4. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    My system performance improved a ton (especially HD movie scrolling) when I disabled image and media previewing:

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/explorerexe-using-high-cpu/149713.html

But this breaks the default image preview app so you need to change the file associations on image file types.

5. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    And I finally fixed an explorer.exe crashing problem I have had for like 3 years. Often times after copying files between two open explorer windows my explorer would crash. It turned out to be a problem with file indexing. To fix it I simply right clicked my drives, got properties, and disabled the indexing service.

Hitometer: 53,857,330 since 1995