Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Reviving the ? o' the day!

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by DunAzrael, Jul 7, 2001.

1. DunAzrael

DunAzrael Peasant

Market Rating:
    For us older members and mods, I was looking back through our history and found my old ? of the day thing that I never commited to. so here you go!

What is the second law of thermodynamics?

2. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    Going out on a limb here, been a while since my science classes. :)

Isn't it something along the lines of "heat flows from a hot body to a cool one"
    Which pretty much means that you cannot completely convert heat into useful energy.

Isn't this also the law the prevents you from building a perpetual motion machine?

3. DunAzrael

DunAzrael Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yes, that is pretty much the answer I was looking for not exclusive to hot and cold though, mainly energy and its diffusion. The second law says that energy tends to flow from where it is localized or concentrated to where it is spread out or diffused -- and it’s in that energy flow that things get messed up-- That fits hurricanes and car crashes and explosives.

You eat concentrated energy in the form of molecules of food . You spontaneously oxidize them, a "downhill process", and while their energy is spreading out or diffusing inside you as per the second law, you use some of that energy to NON-spontaneously push some of your molecules "uphill" energy-wise to make one of your
    energy reservoir molecules, ATP-(see footnote), (plus thousands of other substances).

At the same time, according to the second law, you have to lose some of that energy in the food molecules being oxidized as ENTROPY and that’s why your body is warm. (Every time you make an "uphill" compound by using energy from a "downhill" process, you have to spread out a little "downhill" as entropy.) ATP molecules are the major energy source in your body, used as the fuel for many processes of living. When you talk or breathe, you take ATP and change it to ADP(see footnote) to release energy – a "downhill" directional process dictated by the second law – and use the energy released in that spontaneous process to work muscles for breathing and thinking and speaking (while losing some as waste heat, entropy).

(ATP- Adenine Tri Phosphate)
    (ADP-Adenine Di Phosphate)

Sorry for the lengthy def, I was on a roll.

Stay tuned for more ?'s of the day!!!!!
    7/7/01 Azrael

4. Eupfhoria

Eupfhoria Peasant

Market Rating:
    spiffy (puts two thumbs up with a yellow background, then ducks to avoid a copyright infringment.)

Hitometer: 53,595,594 since 1995