Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Respec Firemane?

Discussion in 'Character Building' started by Lurk, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Build looks good although I'd probably put 1 pt in Improved Fire Blast for a quicker burst spell. Pyroblast only works with PoM so that's an iffy since no one will stand around for 6 seconds (unless you have full Netherwinds of course).

2. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    I'd still have PoM+Pyro, just no AP. Also, my sheep usually last long enough to get Pyro off if I do have to wind it up.

Still working on the full Netherwind. :D

3. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    PvP trinket pwns you.

And I've learned not to rely on sheep too much. Sometime they break way too early (i.e. in PvP vs rogue who would just vanish after sheep breaks).
    Like I said though, Pyro only works with PoM and that's once every 3 mins. I had that build for a while but I decided my points are more useful elsewhere.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  4. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Funny that I had never looked at your build, but yet I came up with an almost identical build that I might use if I switch to fire:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info...500505122010005050221330031500000000000000000

5. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Your build would be ideal vs hunters but most other classes will kill you easily. No impact means you can only root a warrior every 25 seconds, no stuns means it'll be harder to get range. Against fire mages with impact, the stun will disrupt your spells. Nothing to do against a warlock except hope that he doesn't have a succubus out (charm + death coil = win). Can't stop a priest from casting lesser heals and regular heals so eventually you'll be out-stamina'd. Lessens chance to beat a rogue since you can't stop him from sprinting at you, although blastwave could be your trump card. Pally/shamans/druids you can't stop their healing once you use up your CS. If you have impact you at least can spam scorch/fire blast and hope for an interrupt while your CS cools down.

I had the same build once except I went with Impact instead of Burning soul. Pretty much beat everyone except warlocks and hunters.

6. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Impact vs. Burning Soul vs. Arcane Focus vs. Imp. Arcane Missles. Hotly debated. All comes down to playstyle. Jake sheep last noticeably longer than mine because he has Arc. Focus, but I like the uninterruptability of Arc. Missles because I don't have Burning Soul. J's build works for him, so I say go for it.

I have 3/5 in Impact, 6% chance to stun. It's useful when it procs, but I don't count on it to happen when I PvP, it's just there to help out at times. It's not something to build a spec around. (It is satisfying to Impact a Warrior mid-intercept though.)

7. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    You'll notice that it procs a little more than it should if you spam scorch/fire blast. But it all depends on PvP or PvE. (I think it's more satisfying to Impact a healer when the healing spell is .1-.4 sec till completion).

8. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2006
  9. Ellusion

Ellusion MSC Knight

Market Rating:
    Then I suggest that you never roll a Paladin. =)

10. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
  11. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    You were there when I tried arcane for a short time. It's a spec made for 25-man raiding with a good shadow priest as a prereq IMO.

12. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:

Aye, and even then it's a build that requires some micro management of gems/pots/evoc/clearcasts. Well, you have to do that anyway, but with Fire or Frost builds there's some margin for error. With Arcane you have to keep yourself topped off as long as possible.

Not sure I'm going to do it yet, but thinking about it. The other 18 points are a question, I'm thinking 11 into Fire to get Pyroblast to go with PoM, and the other 7 somewhere in Arcane (probably Imp CS, Magic Attunement, Prismatic Cloak, and an extra point to throw anywhere).

The spell rotation as I understand it is Arcane Blast x2, Arcane Missles, and a Scorch if you need to wait out the AB debuff (which most do unless your latency is really good). Rinse and repeat.

13. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
  14. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
  15. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    According to blue posts in the mage forums, in the next patch (2.3), Arcane Meditation is being increased to 10/20/30% of mana regen to continue while casting (up from 5/10/15).

Nice change that makes Arcane builds a bit more manageable.

16. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    From what I've been reading, it seems that an Arcane Missles spam is the new DPS king, if you have two items:

1. A meta-socket helm with a Mystical Skyfire Diamond (MSD) in it.

2. The Lightning Capacitor (TLC)

This is based on the change to the MSD that allows it to proc off of every Arcane Missle in the channel. TLC is icing on the cake, but from the numbers I've read on the EJ forums it's upwards of a 7% DPS increase over not having it.

Anything that increases your passive spell haste and spell damage only helps, as one might expect.

Plus it's a lot less micromanagement than the ABx2 > AM > Scorch rotation, as you don't have to try to time the start of your new cycle to coincide with the dropping of the AB debuff.

I don't have a TLC, but I do have a MSD helm. I am intrigued.

17. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Mana-wise it's very consuming, but the dps is really high. My personal dps is about 1200 on average without having the convience of being in the SP/Dranei Shaman group. The mana problems can be compensated with timely use of mana pots, mana gems, and evocation. Also I use mage armor for regen.

Basically, the build is centered around having T5+ gear. Otherwise you go OOM too often and the damage can't be sustained for raiding. Even with my present gear, I usually end up with 2k mana after boss fights and sometimes I just scorch at the end because of mana problems.

18. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Yeah it's definitely a gear-dependent build, but even in pre-T5 gear it's doable from what I've read, IF you have a SP/Shaman/JoW. I don't necessarily like being that dependent on the raid makeup, but on the other hand isn't that what the raid is for?

It may all be moot anyway, since in 2.3:

19. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    That is one of my main deterrents for going arcane. I would feel like a burden, and often there is no shadow priest to spare. Don't even get me started on the problem of lazy jowers. Arcane is for raiding mages who are in a solid progression guild IMO. It is not for lesser raid environments.

Some arcane mages claim they can last fine without class synergies to help their mana pool. What they do is implement a spell rotation which does less damage in order to conserve mana, and that defeats the purpose of going arcane which is to increase your dps. Don't bother with arcane unless you have the raid support to sustain pure arcane nuking IMO.

I tend to be the odd man out when it comes to raid makeup because they know I can last on my own as a raiding frost build. I like that I am flexible. They usually give the shadow priests to the healers.

20. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    You are probably correct.

I like Fire too much to abandon it. I know it too well at this point to try to re-learn a new spec.

Hitometer: 53,855,203 since 1995