Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Respec Firemane?

Discussion in 'Character Building' started by Lurk, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Currently everyone's favorite red-headed mage is 30/21 Fire/Arcane. I've been considering a respec to 31/20 Arc/Fire, as follows:

Pros: Arcane Power for greater burst DPS, good for quick AoE killing and frying horde in BGs (WTFBBQPWNEDLOLZ!11).

Cons: Lower average DPS with the loss of Fire Power, fewer critical strikes on fire spells with the loss of Critical Mass. Somewhat compensated by the addition of Arcane Instability. (Although Agarwaen may consider loss of DPS a plus for me.)

Thoughts?

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I think that arcane tree is the same as mine, except I got arcane focus instead of improved missiles. I really like that arcane tree as a foundation for anything.

I tried a 31 arcane / 20 fire build and didn't like it. Not much experience with it, so I can't really say.

No fire stun? Some fire mages argue that stun and ignite are the staples of the fire tree.

3. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    I've noticed you never use Arc. Missles at close quarters. I like the uninterruptible Missles when I'm out of kiting options. But I admit my kiting skills, especially in PvP, need practice. I'm working on the 360-degree flip camera insta-cast while running from an opponent.

Yes, that's Impact. Actually until recently I didn't have it, my latest tweak was dropping Improved Flame Strike and Blast Wave to get Impact. It only procs 10% of the time, but it's useful when it does. Blast Wave was nice too, but the 45 second cooldown made it less practical than Impact, IMO, especially since I didn't have Combustion.

4. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    As an aside, I note that level 70 will make a 31/30 build possible, allowing for Arcane Power AND Fire Power (assuming they don't restructure or reduce the talent points given for 61-70). I could jack some people up with an Arcane + Fire Powered Pyroblast.

Of course, if they add another tier of talents I may want one of those instead.

5. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    They're definitely gonna add another tier otherwise you'll see 31/30 builds only. Maybe new tier will allow access to new spells seeing how they separate access to spells right now (Ice Block, Blastwave, Pyroblast, Barrier).

6. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    41 point trees in the expansion.

7. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Welcome to my world :p

8. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    noooo

9. Calendryll

Calendryll MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    For certain, hunters have had to learn this trick from the begining. No kiting = dead.

10. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    I haven't needed it much in PvE to tell the truth, most mobs are dead before they get in melee range. But yeah, in PvP ya gotta master it.

I've been practicing it on Twilight Avengers in Silithus. Works well with Fire Blast, but I can't seem to land Cone of Cold with it.

11. Autolycus

Market Rating:
    i've never seen anyone try this, only time i ever get nailed with CoC is while frozen. they'll take a step in to hit me with it and usually slip into melee range for a second (oops!) hello mortal strike!

12. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    I'm not sure I'd actually try it in BG, I was just practicing casting my instants while jump-spinning and wanted to see if CoC would work. Fire Blast is better to practice with anyway since it's LOS, it won't go off if I screw up the timing.

For a fire mage, CoC is really only for the slowing effect or for getting that final sliver of health off of an enemy. Frost mages like to Shatter frozen enemies with CoC.

Auto, what do the best PvP mages do that give you fits? (And transfer your toon to Hyjal please so I can practice against you.)

13. Autolycus

Market Rating:
    honestly? there's a pretty simple formula they all seem to follow:

Talisman of Ephemeral Power > Zandalarian Hero Charm > Arcane Power > Frost Bolt > Cone of Cold > you're dead.

with cooldowns on the first three abilities being 1.5m 2m and 3m it's reproducible pretty much every encounter although not always at full potency. with all three abilities activated, frost bolt crits over 4000 arent unheard of and over 2000 are very common.

Fire mages havent really hurt me too much lately, but there used to be a very irritating little gnome fire mage who also based his build around arcane power. his combo was faster than the ice mage ultra-frost bolt formula, but not really as effective. he'd activate arcane power > fireball > fireblast > PoM Pyroblast > and top it off with a blast wave if you're still standing.

14. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Well, for the sake of argument let's pretend I don't have a ToEP or ZHC. :rolleyes:

I was thinking more of techniques.

Can't have Arcane Power and Blast Wave.

15. Autolycus

Market Rating:
    o_O well then what the hell explodes in a circle that isnt blast wave, or alternately.. what surrounds you with lightning effects that isnt arcane power? :p

16. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Well the exploding circle is in fact Blast Wave, and there's nothing else that looks like that. Perhaps ToEP or ZHC have an effect similar to AP when activated? I seem to have misplaced mine, so I can't check...

17. dcwilson26

dcwilson26 MSC Knight

Market Rating:
    Will this respec make it easier for me to hold aggro? :P

18. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Possibly, I'll lose +7% to Fire Spells, subtracting the 10% that Fire Power gives and adding the 3% that Arcane Instability gives.

But then, it's you, so I can't say for certain. :p

19. Autolycus

Market Rating:
    ZHC might have that graphic now that i think about it, i'm pretty sure ToEP is a few red rings like the stargate teleporters

20. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Because I'm always tinkering, and I'm slightly disgruntled about the reduced overall dps with the 31 arcane build, I'm considering going back to 30F/21A, with some minor tweaks to what I had before:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info...050505122010005350221300031500000000000000000

AP's burst has come in quite handy to bust up lame horde turtling in the WSG graveyard, but overall I like relying on cooldowns as little as possible.

Hitometer: 53,586,131 since 1995