Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Religion again

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DunAzrael, May 12, 2003.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    who gives a **** :p

2. mrdoomsday

mrdoomsday Peasant

Market Rating:
    i know. Im just trying to get the feelign across that its kinda of both it seems. If the universe keeps expanding and we cant travel faster than normal light. We would never be able to reach the end. No matter how hard we tried we'd never get there. It would seem infinite b/c it keeps expanding. Yet technicaly its not infinite b/c it just keeps getting bigger.

3. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    All I can say is, nobody should follow religion of any kind, because the only way to pick is to follow the advice of some biased evangelist. If you had never heard of Methodism you would probably never become one, and if (right now) you believe that the only religion to follow is the Methodist faith, then if you WEREN'T, you'd be doomed.

It reminds me of the "hell: exothermic or endothermic" e-mail joke that's been going around. Some religions state that all others go to hell, and since there are more than one religion like this, thatn everyone must be bound for hell. I disagree and say that we all just lose consciousness and go into a hole in the ground (or get cremated, but that's besides the point)

4. mrdoomsday

mrdoomsday Peasant

Market Rating:
    how about this:
    The universe at any current moment is infinite. The universe a moment ago is not. Since NOTHING can be bigger than the universe, The current size of the universe must be the definition of infinite? B/c at that moment it is the biggest obtainably size or value. Thus infinite.

5. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
  6. mrdoomsday

mrdoomsday Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yes I read that. I read the WHOLE site.
    But its not proven to be true really.
    People need to see this from different perspectives. Personaly i think infinite has to two definitions, with each being right at the same time. like a quantum state.

7. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    Nope. Infinite means "not finite" or "unlimited", so while the biggest thing out there is the universe, it can still get bigger and is therefore not "infinite".

8. mrdoomsday

mrdoomsday Peasant

Market Rating:
    We cannot fill the infinite with finite things. From the webstie.
    But the universe we have right now is not filled with material things. A lot of the universe is filled with? nothing! just plain empty unfilled space. I dont see how something thats not phyisicaly "there "can't be infinite.

9. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    It's not what makes up the universe at all, it's the nature of the universe itself. If it's expanding, then by definition it can't be infinite.

10. mrdoomsday

mrdoomsday Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yes but at that one precise moment it is the definition of infinite. How can "infinite" fit into a finite universe. The universe keeps growing, therefore unlimited.

11. mrdoomsday

mrdoomsday Peasant

Market Rating:
    you could have a infinite universe filled with nothing. Which is not of finite quality. you can have an infinite ammout of nothing. Its not "growing" or getting bigger. Its just there.

12. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    open your minds, guys. You are all ignoring eachother's points, no matter how good they are. In order to debate you must be open to be convinced of the opposite position. Even if you aren't convinced, conveying that you are trying to understand an opponent's viewpoint is important in making your own point. It's just like saying sorry even if it wasn't your fault.

jesus it's like a Larry King debate in here.

13. mrdoomsday

mrdoomsday Peasant

Market Rating:
    yeh but this kind of debate kicks ass!
    in case you cant tell im really into this stuff!

Im open to everyones opinion. I just like to voice my opinions louder :-D

thats the beauty of this. Since none of this is "true" yet. We can see how other people view the universe with each having a possible chance of being right. It opens you to becoming smarter. It pushes you the think more. I like it when someone gives me a statement that would prove me wrong. and then i have to think of a way to defend my previous statement.

haite-It's not what makes up the universe at all, it's the nature of the universe itself. If it's expanding, then by definition it can't be infinite.

But then how did infinite come to be? it had to expand from something. It hasnt always been.

14. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    nah. more like a Zen council methinks

but really, infinity is impossible to attain... like asking what's the biggest number. I therefore consider trying to get there a moot point and thinking about it only hurts my head.

And I do agree, the universe CAN be used as the definintion of inifinte merely on the basis that it is the sum of everything physical that exists, and is therfore the largest thing in existence. Nothing can get larger, so being as large as the universe is as impossible as being infinite and for all intents and purposes they are one and the same.

15. mrdoomsday

mrdoomsday Peasant

Market Rating:
    And thats what i mean by "infinite" having to different definitions and both being true at the same time.
    see jakeman me and halleck are open

16. kraahl

kraahl Peasant

Market Rating:
    This is what I think. First of all we must define "universe", is the universe everything that exists?
    I believe that "our" universe is finite, but that there are a infinite number of universes.

17. kraahl

kraahl Peasant

Market Rating:
    Think about this. Natture strives to even things out. Osmosis etc. etc. Hot to cold etc. etc.
    Communism thinks all people should be equal. Me and my friends call it $-osmosis. Therefore communism are in line with nature, something capitalism is not.
    Therefore Communism is right. I´m playing mind games again.
    I hope I´m not irritating you to much.

18. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    meh. But communism doesn't work in big countries, becuase corrupt officials can get too powerful. It's most ideal for a small country such as Sweden :nod:

19. mrdoomsday

mrdoomsday Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yeh. There really never has been a true example of communism anywhere that engel and marxist created. And it always goes to the shitter unless of course you go tank on protesters ass like in china.
    But there semi commie-capitalism

20. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    That's a law of thermodynamics, entropy. Everything in the universe goes from order into chaos. Or is it the other way around? Rats.

Hitometer: 53,943,798 since 1995