Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Question

Discussion in 'Character Building' started by Alteren, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Alteren

Alteren MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    Well, I did a bit more messing around thatn I would like, but I've ended up with a mage :-). His name is Neretla (Alteren backwards). I'm having SO MUCH fun with him.

I've been looking at the specs on the forums, and there's actually a guide with some levelign up specs that I like.

My goals, for endgame, are never goign to be large-scale rading. I'll be doing mostly 5-10 man and PVP.

I'm in a tiny little guild with some buddies from when I first played (I'll sign up for MSC events if you guys need help and would take me :-). Sorry about not actually being in MSC.), and the other mage is a fire spec. I figured it might be a good idea for me to do something in the Frost area as I couldn't think of a better way to pick between fire and Frosts.

Given what I've said I'll be doing, do you guys have any suggestions for a build that might work for me?

Thanks.

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
  3. Alteren

Market Rating:
    Thanks Jaden. You do raiding sometimes, but it seems like that spec fits my needs :-).

I picked frost because my buddy is fire. I know both are pretty well balanced (obviously have different purposes). Is there any reason I'd realy want to do fire instead of frost? Is leveling up with fire maybe the better choice (then I'd respec to Frost at 60)?

Thanks again. I'll work on leveling up as quickly as I can so I can maybe join you guys for some things.

4. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Fire is the single target dps king, but frost can also have good dps. I like frost because of the survivability.

5. Alteren

Market Rating:
    I like frost for what I'll do at 60. I was just wondering if fire might level more quickly, but it seems like the difference isn't anything terribly noticeable from what you are saying.

Thanks again :-)

6. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Yup like I told you in game, level with fire. Your best DPS talent at your current level is Improved Fireball. You can always respec later if you want to go Frost.

Firemane's build (which will probably be tweaked slightly soon):

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info...000000000000555212002000305005150003102301000

I can do good DPS with either school. I've grown so accustomed to Ice Block now I don't know if I could go back to being Fire/Arcane.

The likely tweak will be to drop Impact (which I have for Sartura, an encounter I no longer see) and pick up Pyro, Blast Wave, and either Imp Scorch or Master of Elements.

7. Alteren

Market Rating:
    Thanks :-). I 'll admit that I haven't thought all that much about a Fire/Frost or a Frost/Fire. I kind of like some of the utility in arcane, but I have some time before I'm goign to try to set myself in a level 60 build :-)

8. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    If you're talking about leveling fast go Frost build. Many quests requires that you have to kill certain amounts of mobs and with a blizzard spec'd frost mage, you can aoe grind in maybe 1-2 pulls. Also there's a lot of aoe spots that's great for blizzard grinding. You can kill groups of 5-8 mobs that are 1-2 lvls below you at lvl 30-39 and can possibly kill 12-25 (depending on how you pull) at lvl 40+ when you have a mount. Talents you need for this type of lvling are Permafrost and Imp. Blizzard although Frost Channeling helps since blizzard uses a lot of mana. Killing 5-8 mobs at a time is equivalent to completing a quest and you can do this every 2 minutes so it's like completing a quest every 2 min.

9. Alteren

Market Rating:
    Well, this little guy sis already half way through level 21 (I had a weekend where I was the only one home, all my work was done, and my GF was doing stuff with her family. Even without that, it's going much quicker than my warrior ever did.).

Anyway, I've specced fire so far. I like it for the single target DPS. I'm not sure if I really ahve the right mind to AOE farm. I'm not quite sure how the strategy works anyway. Freeze them in place then blizzard i'd guess, but, knowing me, I'd probably get kill somewhere in the process :-).

As of right now, I think I'm still going to go with fire and then respect to Frost at 60, and then I guess everyoen may get the free opportunity to respec again once the expansion hits.

Long story short, I like frost in the long run, but I like fire better for leveling. Is there any serious reason that fire is bad for leveling that should make me consider respeccing now?

10. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Fire is good for leveling but not the best. Reason being (if you haven't noticed yet) is that fire is very mana extensive. You have to sit and drink every 2-4 mobs you kill depending on their level relating to yours. With frost you can just gather a group up and kill them all at once and since mobs are usually really close to each other, it's not hard to gather 5+ mobs (hint: use your wand to pull the first few and run to the rest). Once you get a mount, it's not really hard to pull 10+ at once. It does take practice to get use to though unlike single target pulling. Great thing about frost is you have a trump card every 5 mins in the form of Ice Block. Ice Barrier also comes in handy since it's on a 30 second cooldown and lasts 1 min.

Fire is single target killers whereas frost is multi-target killers as well as survivability. In the time it takes a fire mage to kill 3 mobs, a frost mage would kill double that amount so essentially making frost a better choice to level with. But everyone have their preferences. Some people like to see big numbers and some like to see the screen fill up with numbers.

11. Fujin

Fujin MSC Knight

Market Rating:
    Scorpion for President!

12. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    I bet I can keep pace with you going Fire. Blizzard farming at lower levels doesn't outkill single target Fire pulling as much as you think it does. Like you said, it's a play style thing. I'm much more efficient in both mana and time with Fire, but that's my style.

13. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I personally do tons of single target frost farming. A 1k / 2k frostbolt with all mana talents can kill pretty good with minimal downtime.

14. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  15. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
  16. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    I've seen those videos before, and tried that method myself. I never said I can AoE that well as a Fire mage. I said I can level at the same rate as a Blizzard mage, to level 60 in the same days played (or less).

No spec is "best," you need to get that idea in your head. It's whatever spec works for you.

17. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    So you're saying you can go from 1-60 in less than 10 playing days? How long did it take you to go from 50-60? Took me about 2 playing days grinding at about 100k xp per hour.

It'll be interesting but let's see who can get to 70 first. Just take a screenshot of when you start at 60 and when you reach 70 with /played.

18. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    Link me a guide and I might have a reason to play WoW again. I got really bored with the level grind.

19. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    I didn't keep track of 50-60 because I don't stroke myself that way. But I can tell you that Firemane was the first toon I leveled past 10 (2nd toon overall, first was a warlock I abandoned very early on) and I leveled her to 60 in 14 days played, and that's without knowing where quests and mobs were, not to mention learning how to play both in general and as a mage. I could obliterate that today. I have no doubt I could easily knock the extra 4 days off and then some. You are not special.

You're making an awfully big assumption that you will be able to Blizzard farm your way through Outland. I personally plan on being inside the dungeons instead of watching paint dry, but you spend your play time how you want.

20. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    That's my play time and stats. I have better items but they need enchanting (ZG enchants) so I don't use them. I'm still pretty weak (4th in mage damage). I usually only do about 60-70% of what the best mage in my guild can do. The dagger I'm holding on the 2nd pic is Midnight Haze . I still need spell-power enchant on it and a good off-hand.

73 days 23 hours 35 min - 62 days 11 hours 28 min = 11 days 12 hours 7 min and that also includes leveling up all my professions to 300 at the same time and raising money for my mounts.

Attached Files:

Hitometer: 53,550,113 since 1995