Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

PvP grind

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by Jakeman, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    The stories I've heard are that Rank 14 cannot be achieved without insane amounts of time, and you can't do anything else in game or miss a day or you won't progress through the highest ranks. J says there are "casual" GMs, I doubt they're being entirely truthful about how "little" they played.

Progress will be much slower if you play with PUGs, because to max your honor/time you must win most of your matches, and as quickly as possible. This is especially true for Hyjal Alliance and any faction that outnumbers the other by a wide margin. (Longer queue times and more competition for honor.)

It's true that certain players make their own choice to abandon their lives to make GM/HW, but it is still symptomatic of a flawed system.

My suggestions for fixing it:

1. Diminished returns and/or ceilings on honor points obtainable per week. Can vary by rank. Once past a certain point it's not worth it to continue until the next period.

2. Smaller decay penalty, or no decay at all once you obtain a certain amount of honor for the week. Alternatively, increase the decay interval to monthly instead of weekly. That will give players with an off week time to make it up while still allowing what honor they did gain in a slow week to count for something. As it is, if I only play a few BGs a week, my time is completely wasted when that honor is wiped out on Tuesday.

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    By "casual" pvper I meant they don't have group support, not that they don't put in insane amounts of time:

The significance here is that the individual can reach GM.

3. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Point taken, but I'm still skeptical. In that case I doubt they've been entirely truthful about how "individual" their effort was.

It sounds like to make the jump to Ranks 13 and 14 you have to make top 10 or even top 5 on the server, and do it every week for a number of weeks. I've heard that means upwards of 250k honor per week on Hyjal, but I don't know for sure. I don't see how that's possible if you're running PUGs who are lucky to win versus people who are running premade groups that steamroll. The honor disparity between winning and losing is huge, not even accounting for the fact that steamrollers can play many more matches than PUGs. One thing is for sure, turtling will NOT be a successful GM strategy. Better to lose quickly and requeue.

The possible exception on Hyjal Alliance is Kat, who made GM largely in PUGs. But her character was reportedly being played 24/7 by several people who were known to AFK out of losing matches so as not to waste the time. She made her push way before leaving a match had any kind of penalty. Either way, one toon being played by several people doesn't constitute doing it individually in my book.

It seems like there may be a vacuum at the top now with a lot of players making GM/HW, so maybe it'll get easier. But I still don't think it can be done without help.

That said, if J or Cal or anyone in MSC wants to go for it, I'll help as much as I can.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  4. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    To Jaden: Remember the toon known as Maace on my server and how he did it. Easy GM/HW but you're gonna be hated by the whole server. ;)

5. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    how did he do it?

6. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I recall something about not joining the raid and waiting for other players to weaken a player and die, then taking the kill for full honor, and using scripts to autojoin games 24/7 without ever contributing.

7. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    so he'd autojoin a game, and use an anti-afk mod, praying that people would win matches while he was asleep?

haha. that's an abuse of the system for sure, but he avoided a big part of the grind I suppose.

8. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Might not work so well in WSG but in AB and AV it works since you get honor for the score and not the kills. Just look at the results at the end of a game and you'll see that you always get some points win or lose. Now with the multiple queues it would be a lot easier. Just autojoin all 3 and prioritize AV > AB > WSG.

9. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Once again, I want to apologize for being generally unavailable because of my PVPing.

I made Commander (rank 11) today. This site estimates I will reach Field Marshal (rank 13) in about 9 weeks. That will probably be my stopping point, but we'll see.

10. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    Congrats. :bowdown:

11. Chanta

Chanta MSC Knight

Market Rating:
    Grats J!! :yipee:

12. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I just made rank 12. I will probably stop here because:

1) I don't need the last 3 pvp epics.
    2) Grinding rank 13 will take 10+ weeks according to that page.

Now I will grind my AB to exalted (probably 2 more weeks). However, I can now afford to take breaks to do other stuff since rep doesn't decay.

13. Calendryll

Calendryll MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    Congrats, I know that was hard work.

14. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    12 is where i quit too, it was impossible to raid from 7-1 every night, go to class, eat, and still get the 700k-1m CP i needed per week

15. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Ok I got AB exalted. I am done with PvP now.

16. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    I'm AB+, too.

Hitometer: 53,813,434 since 1995