Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

PvE = PvP

Discussion in 'Character Building' started by Scorpion, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    The new Honor system pretty much turned all the servers into more of a PvP environment except that you can't get ganked. I couldn't find any Strath, Scholo, BRD/BRS raids yesterday at all(except for maybe a few people). Everyone is busy raiding horde towns to get their Honor points. I realized that I might not be able to take part in any of these unless I get more RAM for my PC. Blizz really screwed up this time cause you probably need 1G RAM to participate in these raids. I could hardly see anything yesterday with my 256M RAM. I just know that there were hordes around me and I just casted randomly hoping that I hit something. When I died, I got the message 3 mins after I was killed because the timer shows '3 minutes until release'. If Blizz really wanted this, they need to fix their system so that when there are 100+ people in an area it wouldn't cause lag or it would be like an area with 10-15 people. It took me 5 sec to move one step yesterday and sometimes I just freeze and can't do anything whatsoever. I don't think I'll see any Strath, Scholo, BRD/BRS raid any time soon since everyone is caught up in this new Honor system raiding.

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
  3. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Yeah, 256 just doesn't get it done. Even simply adding a 512 to get to 768 will help immensely. I'm playing this on my girlfriend's comp, she only had 256 to start. After my first gryphon flight looked like a series of stills I went and picked up a 512 and popped it in. HUGE difference. I read somewhere that 1 GB is the optimum, but I didn't have the bucks for 1024 all at once. I haven't been in a packed auction house or seen a huge PvP raid yet, so I'm sure I'll want more at some point, but this was a small investment for a big performance boost. Now I just have to work on her graphics card...

Not surprising. The Honor System is the new fad. Once the novelty wears off you'll probably be seeing more PvE.

4. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    I have a gig, and a 256 meg video card, and I still get pauses to load in IF or on big raids, but after the initial pause there's no slowdown. In fact, I think Blizzard optimized a lot of the environments in the last patch, and without even looking at a FPS counter the game just feels smoother.

5. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    Is anyone going to try to play the Arena for items? That sounds ripe for people to go in and form teams to beat out any competition.

6. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I want to know what kind of items are in there. They would have to be really good for me to sit there waiting for 3 hours.

7. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    Ideally, you wouldn't - you'd mess around until 2:40ish, then take a gryphon to Booty Bay and get to the arena at 2:50. Who in their right mind would acually stay there for three hours at a time?

8. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    STV arena chest items have been pretty much STV level blue items (35-40)

9. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Just checked my hardware. My PC has 512MB DDR SDRAM and 256 L2 cache and 128MB graphics. Got cache and RAM mixed up. I was still lagging horribly anyhow so I might have to get another 512MB and maybe upgrade the graphics.

10. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    I have been hoping this since the system went live. On Eradar it is getting progrssively worse, granted that is a pvp server, but that is where my playing time is focused.

Anyway, if you choose to go on a pvp server for any reason be aware that leveling has become almost impossible due to ganking. There is no need to worry about whether the quest giver is there or not since you will spend >75% of your time dead. I am currently switching mains from a 56.8 hunter to a druid who is sitting at 80% to 38. I normally would crank out through STV at this level since it has a grand number of quests and can hold out to level 45ish. That is all but impossible now, gankfest is an understatement.

11. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I have been saying this from the beginning... if you want to PvP then join a PvE server and wait for Battlegrounds. All other PvP implementations will eventually reduce down to rampant ganking and you will hate it. Now many PvPers are complaining about rampant ganking, and many such people I know have quit the game because they got so frustrated... or bored in the case of the gankers.

Unmoderated PvP is bad. Battlegrounds promises to be the moderator.

12. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    Ya, in the beginning there was no real problem. I started on that server from the first day. Ya, you would get a drive by every now and then, there was no "true" motivation to grief, being on a pvp was no problem and in fact it added an element of excitement since you never knew what the night had in store.

No, it is just the opposite.... I am patiently waiting for battlegrounds. If that does not change what is happening I will be off the pvp server. It is just not fun to have a pair of peeps 10 levels over you camp you for the four kills before the next pair arrives.

Hitometer: 53,936,244 since 1995