Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

promoting a web site

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by dapork, Jun 13, 2001.

1. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    i made a sie with angelfire, can someone tell me the best way to promote this site so that people can search for it on the web

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    you have to register with search engines. I registered with all of them but the only one that listed me was yahoo. That's where I get most of my "unique" visitors.

or you can spam various populated forums with news about your web site. :D

3. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    get a domain so people don't think your site is shit.
    get a real web host without banners so people don't think you site is shit.
    get content so people don't think your site is shit.

4. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    Reciprocal links. Find websites that have audiences that are like yours and trade links with them. You might also want to register with DMOZ, which is the open directory database project. Their link database is used by a bunch of different search engines, including Netscape. Banner exchanges are less useful, as the ratio of you to them is very low for advertising.

Search Engines: Yahoo (6 to 8 weeks), Altavista, Northern Light, Google (though Yahoo uses Google's database, so only register with one or they'll dump your link), Mamma, AOL, MSNi, Lycos (they may use Dmoz, I'm not sure), Jeeves, and About.com.

Newsgroups. Articles in various websites (ie like Jake did w/ this puppy on MGL). Word of mouth.

That's all I can think of for now. There's more, but that should give you a start.

Hitometer: 53,596,467 since 1995