Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Problems with Mac OS X 10.1.5

Discussion in 'Help Forum' started by Rae, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Rae

Rae Peasant

Market Rating:
    It used to be that everytime I unplugged my computer (shutdown and everything properly) that I would have to reinstall OS X and everything when I started up again. Now...some downloads are messing up my OS. I'm really not sure what the problem is, but is anyone having the same?

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    why is that? what are the symptoms?

3. Rae

Rae Peasant

Market Rating:
    Well...I don't know why it's happening, but I had some problem about a month ago when I was trying to install something (forgot what it was) and when it asked me what disk to install it on, all the disks (including my hard drive ) were dimmed. It said this was because Mac OS X installed in different languages or something. I don't know. And then, just a few days ago, I was trying to change the theme of my computer. I downloaded Duality 3.1 and tried to change the theme to DSX, and it made all of my windows and menus transparant. I fooled around with it for a while, but whenever I would open a file, the window was completely white. The pull down menus were transparant, and the dock icons did not work, neither did the menus from the dock (if you click and hold on a dock icon). I played around with it for a while and tried to figure out something, but it came down to me having to erase the entire harddrive and reinstall everything (via software restore). It has all been really frusterating.

PS: Some themes on Duality worked for me, but I do NOT suggest using the DSX theme! It will most likely mess your computer up, BIG TIME!

4. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    i have never used duality.

were all installers showing dimmed disk icons? some things require authentication to install... there will be a little question mark icon in the window. click that, login and then it will let you procede.

different languages? hmm, what language are you using? OS X comes with several language packs, perhaps the software you were installing didn't like the language you were using.

it's hard to be certain of anything at this point. i'm just guessing based on the information you have provided. :)

5. Rae

Rae Peasant

Market Rating:
    Not all of the installers were doing that...and I already authenticated the install...I clicked the question mark and put in my password as an admin, and they were still dimmed. I'm using english, I think that happened because I was trying to install OS X 10.1.5 (the combo update from 10.1) and I think it means that it's already installed.

6. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    ohhhhh... i know what the problem is. that is a problem that many people have. you need to manually download and install some security update before it will let you manually install the 10.1.5 updater (or the updater through software update).

linkage for you:

http://kbase.info.apple.com/cgi-bin...query?searchMode=Expert&type=id&val=KC.122011

notice the security update links. follow those

7. Rae

Rae Peasant

Market Rating:
    Already did that. No more problems so far...

Hitometer: 53,943,674 since 1995