Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

PC800 RAM

Discussion in 'Mac' started by SpocKirk, May 1, 2001.

1. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    I saw this in an ad for Alienware comps, I was wondering if it was a typo. The high end comp comes with PC800 RAM, the low end ones come with PC133 RAM.

2. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    PC 800 is the RDRAM that comes with Pentium 4's. It's an 800 MHz bus, which is nice, but we all know how the Athlon rips the pants off the P4.

--Haite

3. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    PC800 RDRAM, PC2100 DDRRAM. It doesn't mean it's that much faster at all, more like an extra 5% performance. It simply opens the way for faster system buses and faster processors in the future.

4. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Current processors are too slow to take advantage of the new high speed DDR sdram.

5. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    It is nice that we are getting memory technology that the CPU's have to catch up with instead of the other way around

6. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Darn tootin'

7. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    DDR PCs suck ass right now. I've been working on TONS of DDR T-bird/P4 systems that have bad mobos (more like first generation mobo technology that has inherant bugs and issues), bad DDR sticks, etc. Mostly Compaqs and HPs.

We have a 1.4gig P4 with Rambus as our main tech machine on the PC side (a 450 Cube is our Mac tech machine). That P4 sucks so much ass it's not even funny. The damn thing can't even toggle mp3 music without skipping. We've had to restore it like 20 times.

Stick with SDRAM for now guys. I'm sure that when Apple comes out with a DDR system it will be a stable implementation, but beware of PC implementations right now. Besides, DDR and Rambus offer very little performance benefit right now.

Hitometer: 53,596,403 since 1995