Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

PC IE is fast!

Discussion in 'Mac' started by Jakeman, Apr 15, 2001.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    This PC I just built renders web sites instantaneously. It's insane. These forums load every page (no matter the size) within no more than 1 second with IE on my PC. Wut up? Why can't M$ make a decent mac version of IE. The mac version is slow to begin with, plus it totally bogs after long time use. The PC version is like soooo much better. :mad:

2. Paganor

Paganor Peasant

Market Rating:
    why did you build a pc anyways??????

3. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    To play games with you dink. :p

4. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I built it so I can have the best of both worlds. Now I have a high end PC and a high end Mac. Well, I'm gonna have to get a dual 733 when those come out.

I may not like PCs but it sure is convenient having both platforms to work with. I'm compatible with everything now. I always had a low end celeron HP, but I decided to upgrade because it suckzored.

5. zxcvbnm

zxcvbnm Peasant

Market Rating:
    What are the specs?

6. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Lian-li PC60 brushed aluminum case, 1GHz P3, Asus CUSL2-C mobo (i815EB chipset), 384MB PC150 RAM, 30GB 7200 RPM Maxtor HD, 350W Enermax variable fan speed power supply (stealth quiet), Sound Blaster X-Gamer 5.1 sound card, 64MB Prophet 2MX (until we get the Prophet 3 cards at CompUSA), 10/100 Linksys NIC, Creative Labs 12x DVD, Rounded floppy and UDMA cables, Windows 2000 Professional. I think that's everything.

I've got it running at 1125MHz with a 150MHz fsb (up from 133MHz) syncronis with the RAM which is overclocked to 150MHz (what it's certified to do). I had it at 1200MHz 160 fsb but it would crash after like 1 hour of Quake, so I clocked it down to a safer speed. The heatsink actually runs cold right now, weird eh? I haven't touched the core voltage because I don't want to risk damaging the processor or anything. So far the system seems rock solid. It Quakes like a champ. It seems like Windows 2000 Pro is the only decent Windows OS. All their consumer operating systems suck (9x, Me).

7. zxcvbnm

zxcvbnm Peasant

Market Rating:
    Very nice rig. For games though I would suggest 98SE, which is supposed to be faster, and is stable if you know what you are doing.

8. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    Stable if you know what you're doing. Ahh...is that what PC users say? LOL

Hell, why doesn't Linux introduce a new open-source kernel. Have it crash a bunch, get sick of trying to fix it, and tell the people "Ya, it's stable if you know what you're doing." Then under his breath say "re-write the kernel so it actually works."

I mean, for a consumer OS they shouldn't have to mess with the System.ini file to get something to work properly. Hack up any OS enough and it can be stable, but you shouldn't have to touch it. Why do the consumers have to fix something, isn't that the developers job?

9. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    true.

10. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Jakeman, git yo ass over to my house and build me a computer. The Dell p.o.s. beside me blows harder than a slut on east hastings.

11. zxcvbnm

zxcvbnm Peasant

Market Rating:
    gekko:
    But I have never had to rewrite the kernel or mess with System.ini to get anything working. Maybe I am simply lucky or have quality parts, but I have never had the kind of problems I always hear about from people that are complaining about their system.

I've never had unexplainable crashes except when messing with AGP fast writes in my bios. I don't have random crashes when running IE or other programs. Whenever I hear about people having all these problems I always wonder what they are doing to cause such things to happen.

Personally, I think complaints of instability and slowness arise more from bad system maintainence rather than direct problems with the OS. A friend of mine wondered why I was outscoring him in 3DMark 2k1 by 200-300 points despite his having a faster system. I ask him to press ctrl-alt-del to see what he has running, and he has so many programs running he has to scroll to see them all. Close all of them and update his drivers, and boom, he is outscoring me like he should be.

The problems of having too many programs running and having old drivers are not hte fault of the OS, but of the user. And even if the MS added features to OS that allowed it to autocheck for new drivers and shut down unnecesary programs, you would have people bitching about how MS was spying on you or was removing options from the user.

12. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    Jakeman, get away from 2000. It has problems with legacy games, some even refuse to run at all. Stick with 98. Trust me, I know.

13. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    nah, I like 2000. I don't play any old games. Plus I play most all my games on my Mac. Of course, games with no Mac version I will play on my PC (Tribes 2 for example, awesome game btw!). Both my PC and Mac are going to LAN parties from now on. One as a dedicated server, one as the client.

Cow, it isn't that hard to build a PC. You just get all the components, plug in all the cables, make sure the mobo power cable is plugged in as well as all the drive power cables, boot off a floppy the first time, and load Winblows from there. Voila! :)

14. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Cough. Are you suggesting that I don't know how to build a computer? :wtf:

15. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    If you want, you can come over to my house and build me a computer. I won't charge you for labor or parts.

16. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    hehe. No cow, I'm not suggesting that... but your previous post did. :p

"Jakeman, git yo ass over to my house and build me a computer. The Dell p.o.s. beside me blows harder than a slut on east hastings."

17. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    I can't afford any parts right now, nor do I have all those skillz and experience that you must have. I've made one for my friend, but it wasn't with nice super quality parts like yours.
    I was suggesting that you come over (for free), bring me parts (for free), and build me a computer (for free). That way I could hold you liable for things that don't work :evil:

18. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    Make sure you get SR1 for Win2K, as +GHz machines have hard drive corruption problems w/ Win2K. Seems w2k shuts down too fast and doesn't write out the buffer data to the hard drive.

19. zxcvbnm

zxcvbnm Peasant

Market Rating:
    Jakeman, what is your name in Tribes 2? I go as paradigmic.

20. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I've only played single player Tribes 2. I go by Jakeman, of course. :cool:

I got the service pack one immediately, along with a slew of other updates from the web. I love dsl with software update programs. :D

Hitometer: 53,592,992 since 1995