Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

path of exile

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jakeman, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    This game is Diablo 3.

You all know me... I am a critical person and hate most games. But I like this one very much. I currently have a lvl 69 marauder.

http://www.pathofexile.com/

- free to download
    - free to play
    - microtransaction model for things like extra stash tabs and cosmetics.
    - windows only. They say they will investigate mac support.
    - currently open beta, but there will be no character wipe from now to gold.

The gameplay is all there. I will save you the detailed analysis and just say that it compares to D2 in terms of difficulty, diversity, and fun.

Some interesting features include:

1) The currency system. There is no gold or standard "money" currency. Rather everything is barter using various kinds of orbs. The orbs themselves have intrinsic value unlike most money. Orbs can be consumed to create good items. So the money of the game is actually consumable.

2) The skill tree is one huge graph that is shared by all classes of the game. The difference between classes is that they have different starting points. Here is my planned skill tree:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...A9kiMz2BLeu907cRYJ9VQULvtpKyMBs5nDzgc52oeIPA=

3) Skill gems. The previously linked skill tree is all passives. The real skills such as attacks are granted through skill gems that you socket into your items. Multiple sockets can be linked to allow you to add "support" gems to augment other skills. This allows you to create interesting combinations.

4) Hardcore mode. When you die your character is converted to softcore. Genius.

2. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    I have a friend who told me about this and I also saw a web article about it. I don't have a lot of time, but I might use some of it to play; it sounds good.

3. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I have a lvl 78 marauder now. My only complaint so far is the end game map system. They have a system where you need to find maps (random drop) to access high-level end game areas, and you spend currency on the maps to improve them. But the balance is such that you constantly run out of high-level maps and have to start over at a lower level, and you have to spend most of your wealth augmenting the maps you get.

To use a D2 analogy, it would be like having to spend one SOJ to run Baal, and there is a high probability that you won't be able to run Baal again. It's more likely it will force you to go back and run previous act bosses many times before letting you pay to run Baal again.

The system is designed to be a money-sink to prevent inflation, but it's really annoying and not fun.

Other than that it's an awesome game.

4. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    That would be incredibly annoying.

I'm still holding out hope that Elder Scrolls Online will be worth playing.

Hitometer: 53,597,624 since 1995