Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Patch 2.3 Mage Changes

Discussion in 'Game Help' started by Lurk, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    That's what Hypothermia was created for in the first place. It's also why Detect Magic is being removed.

Like I've said many times, it's a PvE game balanced around PvP, and most of the post-BC changes have been to balance arena play.

2. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Other 2.3 changes that affect mages but are not mage specific (my comments in parentheses):

Players no longer gain the moving AOE radius bonus if they are jumping. (not even sure what this means exactly, but jumping while AoEing is going to be a hard habit for me to break)

Client spell cast requests are now sent to the server even if your player is already casting another spell. This eliminates the need for /stopcasting in macros to compensate for latency. (I'm curious to see how this is going to work. Can I queue up a second fireball right after I start casting the first one?)

Gnome: Escape Artist cooldown increased to 1 min, 45 sec. (not specific to gnome mages, but worth noting)

Dropping the Flag in a battleground will now result in a debuff that will not allow you to pick up the flag again for 3 seconds. (more a nerf to rogues than Frost mages, and personally I think it's about time)

Players will now be able to cast spells for free in the Battleground before it begins. (woot)

Players will now be able to cast spells for free for a few seconds after being resurrected by a Spirit Guide in the Battleground. (woot again)

Duration of wizard and mana oils created by enchanters has been increased. (nice)

A new skyfire meta gem recipe can be obtained from the Coilskar Siren of Shadowmoon Valley. This new meta gem increases critical strike rating and critical strike damage with spells. (could be good if you have a meta helm)

Mystical Skyfire Diamond: A cooldown has been added to this item's effect, but the chance for it to trigger has been increased. (This is a fix IMO. As it is now it adds about 17% DPS to Arcane Missle spam, a ridiculous amount for a single item proc to affect a single spell. Easy to see why it was changed.)

Shiffar's Nexus-Horn: Many spells and abilities can now trigger this item that were unable to before. (Not sure if this affects mages or not. I have and like this trinket.)

Corpses that belong to someone in your party, but that you cannot loot will say in the corpse mouseover who has loot rights on that corpse. This will help skinners who want to know who to talk to in order to skin their corpse, as well as master looters when special loot drops on a normal monster. Everyone will then see that there is a monster that the master looter has loot rights on. (Not a mage change, but I like this. If we were still running MC we would know who to yell at to LOOT THE ****ING HOUND! lol)

3. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Nice. Yes it means you can queue up. That means that if you have 1 second of latency with a 3 second nuke, that you can now get two nukes off in 6 seconds flat instead of 7 seconds. That will be a substantial dps increase for all but those with extremely low latency. It also means that the dps freak who used the stopcasting trick to squeeze out more dps can relax a little because they don't have to time each nuke anymore.

4. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Yeah this is an awesome change. I don't /stopcast, my latency is rarely above 110 ms anyway. I don't think the extra 0.1 seconds I'd gain from using Quartz and macros would be worth the hassle. I have a pretty good feel for my lag by now and can time successive casts pretty well anyway. Now I won't even have to, I'll just queue up my next cast at the beginning.

5. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Some skills are over-powered in PvP and Arena so having nerf Ice Block is a good thing especially since Frost Mage pretty much dominate most every class PvP wise. 2v2 or 3v3 Arena with a pally + frost mage vs a team without a priest is almost a guaranteed win.

6. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Apparently it doesn't quite work like a spell queue. Based on what I've read, on PTR you still can't send the command for the next cast until the 1.5 sec GCD is up. On spells with cast times longer than 1.5 seconds it functions something like a spell queue because you still have some castbar left when the GCD expires. But for 1.5 second spells it's not working out right, they seem to be getting no benefit.

It appears to be going something like this:

1. Cast 1.5 second spell. Since there's no active castbar, the GCD starts immediately. The spell actually starts casting x milliseconds later (x = latency).

2. GCD expires x milliseconds before your castbar finishes, allowing you to "queue up" the next 1.5 second spell. Since there is an active castbar, the client does not allow the next spell to cast, and the GCD does not begin. Server recognizes the next cast and sends the message to the client to begin casting the moment the current spell ends, effectively synchronizing the GCD and the castbar.

3. Next spell casts client-side, GCD and castbar begin simultaneously. There is no buffer in which to "queue" the next spell, you have to wait until the castbar finishes. This means at the end of it you're back to square one. You're still going to have to wait x milliseconds before your third spell will cast.

What's worse, /stopcasting will no longer help you, because the GCD and castbar are synchronized. If you /stopcast you will cancel your current cast on both client AND server, because the lag "buffer" is gone.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  7. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Hypothermia rolled back to 30 seconds. Trainable Iceblock on the horizon, although probably not for 2.3.

8. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    trainable ice block made me say loud angry things at my monitor.

9. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Gotta admit it's about time. When mages are pigeonholed into one spec to even be remotely viable in one level of arena (5v5), there's an issue. This will help make all mages more viable in all levels of arena.

For me, I look at it as a DPS boost on certain fights. I can IB out of stuns and keep dishing out the pain.

10. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Trainable or not, at least iceblock isn't as bad as pally bubbles where they can still cast and attack while immune. But you have to consider the synergy of a trainable iceblock when combined with other builds that currently can't have iceblock. PoM pyro mages will have an insane counter-punch on tap for anyone who CCs. And AP PoM AOE zerging might not be so suicidal anymore. The synergy with those arcane buffs is scary because it makes the huge nukes and burnouts more accessible and survivable. I don't think it would synergize as well with tier 9 fire, but it would still be a nice addition.

I would actually consider PvE arcane or fire again if IB becomes trainable. I still have my spellfire gear banked.

11. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    2.3.2 Changes

Oooooh... Icy Veins...

12. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I saw that a few days ago. I am not a big fan of spell haste or shatter, but I will still get that talent for the haste because it's a damage increase. I would have preferred interruption resistance, a new frost nuke, or some more base damage / crit.

A lot of nonfrost mages will be able to get that as a haste buff since it's only a tier 3 talent.

Melee pvpers are gonna be QQing hardcore when shatter mages pop that buff for an easy frostbite proc off of their ice armor. You could actually have a AP + PoM + pyro + 4/5 shatter mage with icy veins making for easy pyro + shatter setups off of the ice armor proc.

13. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    The only melee that would be affected they most would be feral druids and pallys. Smart warriors (???) would reflect mage spells right back at them and rogues would use CoS or time a vanish to be invulnerable.

With the change I might start to do arena with my mage although my rogue is doing quite good. But then again, by the time the patch comes, my shaman would already be really geared for PvP/arena.

14. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    I'm not an big arena guy, but as I understand it even Frost mages use Molten Armor for the reduced chance to receive a critical strike.

Maybe with Icy Veins they'll start using Ice Armor, although that seems to be a convoluted (and unreliable) set up for a Shatter. You'd be saving Icy Veins for when a melee gets on you, which of course you want to avoid if you can. Seems like it would be more valuable for burning down a healer quickly when an arena battle starts, especially if it stacks with AP and trinkets.

In PvE of course it's a straight up DPS buff. I'm 10/48/3 and seriously considering giving up Clearcasting to get it.

15. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yes a lot of mages use Molten for arena (especially if they put points in Impact). Frost Armor is useless in Arena cause rogues that get up that close use cloak of shadows to not get stunned or rooted. Usually I hit sprint (improved talented) to get out of any root effects get to them. I usually anticipate a blink so I'd gouge and they'll be disoriented at their blink spot giving me time to get there and beat on them. Then it'll just be hemo + SS spam while AR is up. If it's a Frostie and he IB, I usually vanish or try to get out of combat by not attacking so I can stealth again. If I do vanish, I make sure to hit Prep so I get all my cooldowns back for another pounding.

Oh and garrotte works a lot better than ambush vs clothie/casters since there's no way of 2-shotting like pre-TBC. Garrote + Shiv with crippling usually makes Frostie IB right away or risk going down to half hp or worse. Any other mage build usually means near death by the time they get away.

16. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Yes, any decently geared rogue is going to all but kill me before I can break the stunlock. My only chance is to break them out of stealth before they hit me, which is a hit or miss proposition, and even then they can Vanish or CloS or Blind or any combo of the three. Mages are very difficult to play well in PvP, as evidenced by their lack of showing on arena ladders. We don't have the margin for error that other classes do. Only in 5v5 do mages have much success, and even there they are mostly a support/CC class.

17. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Main reason my mage is strictly for raiding and my rogue is for arena.

Hitometer: 53,846,729 since 1995