Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

pali advice

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by dapork, Feb 6, 2001.

1. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    i'm lvl 37 hammerdin, i got to nightmare (with some help) but i cant even handle the first level, even though some people say at lvl 37 i should be able to...
    i'm using a rare divine scepter, goldskin, tarn, wall of eyeless, and magefist... my strength is 105, my dex 65 or 70, my vit in the seventies. so can someone tell me why i can't handle it?

2. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    Sounds like you don't have enough defense. You need some good armor to survive, plus a good blocking shield. I've got some 490 Chaos Armor you can have if you're on West. 121 Str, so I can't use it (i'm about 40 str too short). You should be able to do well on nightmare, I just turned lvl 40 and I'm on Act 1 Hell. 38/39 should be in the Far Oasis/Maggot Hole (whatever it's called) area killing things easily. Lost City is a bit tougher.

[Edited by Sparhawk on 02-05-2001 at 08:00 PM]

3. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    i'm actually on useast, should i trade goldskin for an armor? which one?
    but without it my resist are really low.

4. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    Go back to regular/Hell and work through it until you come up with enough to make a 3D shield, then trade.

5. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    i have a 3d shield and sigons guard, if i dont use wall of eyeless though, i won't be able to use blessed hammer as much.

6. olon97

olon97 Peasant

Market Rating:
    You'll never get enough defence to make much of a difference at higher levels. A good hammerdin can walk around in rare studded leather. More important is knowing how to stay just out of melee range.

Getting your resists up is important. I'd say trading the 3D shield in for Eyeless is worth it in any situation where you're at risk (LEBs, elemental archers, fire attacks in act 1 ETC). Areas with no elemental attacks, switch back to the eyeless or sigons.

Skills you should get if you don't have them already: redemption (just 1 point is fine) and holy shield (enough to get a decent duration - 4-6).

Hope that helps,
    Olon
    (clevel 77 Hammerdin US East)

7. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    If you're a lvl 37 hammerdin, you should be able to easily survive if you've built you charachter correctly.....

You're equipement sounds OK...but I would trade in the Tarn for a better defensive helm with resists.

What lvl are your BH and Conc Skills at??? They should be fairly high by lvl 37, at least 10 each...and more with skill modifiers.

What kinda scepter is the rare divine? What mods does it have?? Does it have a +2 Skills and +skills to BH or Conc?

Do you have faster cast rate stuff??? What ammie do you have?

8. BrakShow

BrakShow Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yes blocking on the shield will help. I am level 37 and can do most of act 2 easily, the arcane sanctuary in a 6+ person game seems to be whooping my ass though. Anyway, dump that wall and use one of your tower shields, 3d would be my suggestion. There are many ways to handle a mana problem, but only one way to get blocking. Use the shield for what it is meant to do and get the one that is best. Handle the mana problem with Frostburns or magefist. I use frosts. I use a helmet with two perfect skulls for mana regen. Even with mana helping items I still find I need to charge now and then with my high damage scepter to leech back some mana and life. Plus having this kind of skill helps a lot in tight areas where hammers just don't fly. Unless your scepter has signifigant + to skills you should just get a high damage 1 handed weapon and leech some life/mana. There isn't a unique in the game that I can't just go toe to toe with because I leech life as I hit him and he hits me. Then when life is up to full I let 5 or 6 hammers fly as he crushes me then switch back to beating on him to increase my life. If you are a pure hammerdin then I suppose all this advice is useless. In that case just get some good unique gloves to aasist with the mana problem and start using a shield that can block for you.

9. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    i'm trying to be a full hammerdin, i use magefist, can i trade those for frostburns? should i? my weapon is a rare divine scepter (soul crack) i got from my nightmare imbue, it has:
    29-60 damage; replenish life +5; cold resist 6%; lightning resist 11%; +102 to attack rating; +4 to dexterity; +2 to resist lightning. can i get a better one with that? my rings are grim grip and blood whorl(fast cast). my amulit is bone scarab. my boots are imp nails light plated boots. my other stuff is written above...
    my blessed hammer is lvl 7 with tarn, my concentration lvl 8. i'm using lenymo sash.
    so what stuff should i get, what should i use to trade for it? and what else should i do?

10. ogopogo

ogopogo Peasant

Market Rating:
    Sounds like u need a way way better sceptor than that, i used to have a +1, fastest cast hammer with +2 to con, but i gave it to mikey. Well my adivise would be to get a better sceptor(Even a +2 magical one should be fine) and as for ur skills..only 7 and 8? Where did u spent your other skill points on? Saving skill points are essential in playing a paladin.

11. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    ok, but what should i do about dying easily?
    are my stuff and stats alright for act 3?

12. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    You should try to buy a magical (blue) scepter with a +2 to all paladin skills and some added skills to BH or Conc...

You have to max out BH and Conc as fast as possible...to 20 and above with skill modifiers.

[Edited by Gilgamesh on 02-06-2001 at 08:49 PM]

13. ogopogo

ogopogo Peasant

Market Rating:
    Well....by looking at ur stats i am guessing that you don't have enough mana. If you are going to be a pure hammerdin you shouldn't really waste any points in dex, and just get the st up so that you can wear a -40% chaos/ or ornate plate, most other stuff you have are pretty good

14. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    someone told me i can use goldskin all the way through hell, he said he did, that i just need to get my holy shield to lvl 10, should i do that first or first max conc and hammer. and i dont think u can buy a scepter with +2 to all pali skills, wouldnt that be a rare?

15. ogopogo

ogopogo Peasant

Market Rating:
    Well actually there's +2 magical sceptors u can buy in hell act3, they don't cost alot of money but it takes a long time to find one(The sell screen change whenever u go out and back into town so u have to do that for a few hours to actually find a good +2 sceptors)

16. BrakShow

BrakShow Peasant

Market Rating:
    You could get by with goldskins, your problem sounds like you are not doing enough damage and don't have enough mana to keep doing that damage. So the monsters a hangin around kickin you butt instead of dying. A good shield should keep you from getting hit, as much as you are with that wall. And adding a couple hundred defense isn't really going to help very much. Put points in energy. And put every skill point into BH until it is maxed. Then concentration, then holy shield if you want. Frostburns gives a HUGE boost to mana pool, and larger mana pool means more mana regenerated faster. Frostburns are better for characters who don't have enough mana. Once you get somewhat sufficient mana switch bach to magefists for the fastest cast. For now you might want to go back to the previous act to level so you can get your skills up, and/or look for more + skills items. You should be able to buy a magical paly scepter that has + to BH and + to conc if you run back and forth enough.

If you really like to play a paly and want him to kick ass you might consider starting a new one. Ogo is right, I am the same clvl as you and have 18 in BH and 16 in Conc (or is it the other way around) So most enemies are dying before they get a chance to do much damage. Adding only to prerequisites and saving skill points until level 18 is essential so you can boost BH and conc at the same time every level after 18.

17. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    You can buy a +2 Magical scepter in any difficulty...

i bought a magical scepter in Act III normal Diff with the following stats: +2 Skills, +1 Bh, +3 Conc +10 mana for about 75,000 gold.

it has since gone the way of donation, but I'll keep a look out.

Just keep going to the guys in each act that sell the scepters..., magical type.

18. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    ok... i'll do that. but do all of u think i should really start a new char, this one took me a while to make. couldn't i just stay in the act b4 for a while to get my hammer and conc up?

19. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    Hey... you gotta do what you feel is best, but by lvl 37, you should be able to kick ass in ACt I Nightmare...

It won't take too long if you plough through Normal mode... plus you already have some decent stuff to donate to yourself to get your newbie Pally up to snuff...

Once you get BH & Conc skills available, put all points into it. Save some

20. BrakShow

BrakShow Peasant

Market Rating:
    It is certainly possible to keep leveling up in previous acts and finding a scepter to help until you get your skills up. However since you get minimal experience for killing monsters more than 5 levels different from you levleing in previous acts is a very difficult way to catch up. See this for details.
    http://www.battle.net/diablo2/basics/experience.shtml
    A new hammerdin built up in the ideal way is kinda tough in the first couple acts because you are using skills that only have one point in them and are only pre-reqs for the BH & conc. But once you get to clvl 18 things should become very easy for you because by level 24 you'd have 7 in BH and 7 in conc. by clvl 30, 13 in each, without +skills items,etc. I couldn't survive the early acts without putting two points into might, but that is the only skill other than charge that got more more than one point in the early going. And that is because I did not intend on being a pure hammerdin. You don't have to start over but if you are intending on being a pure hammerdin, you are way behind the 8-ball on skills and it will be very difficult to catch up. Like Gil says ploughing through normal difficulty isn't too tough. BTW, if you are on West and decide to start over, I have a nice sword that I could loan you that'll help you melee your way though those first few acts till you get your BH/conc combo. I won't be able to get on till sometime next week but you probably won't have enough strength to use the sword till then anyway. Who knows, it's a -20% req. war sword maybe you could use it right away? Anyway, /w *BrakShow mid-next week if you want the loaner sword.

Hitometer: 53,596,730 since 1995