Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

overclocking bad

Discussion in 'PC Forum' started by Jakeman, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050412-4804.html

Of course this isn't an end-all argument against overclocking. I think the moral of the story is that you shouldn't dick around unless you know what you are doing and you know how to fix the product yourself if something goes wrong.

As a support person, I really hate it when unknowledgeable people hack my product the death, come to me with these weird problems, and then refuse to accept the fact that their hacks might be causing the problems (which is usually the case). They expect me to troubleshoot using hacked software instead of the default software which reduces my troubleshooting to the level of shotgun (random guesses instead of systematic isolation). My shotgun can be fairly accurate at times, but it's the principle of it all that annoys me.

2. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    I have to say this thought. Its not really overclocking that makes Windows look bad. Thats just an easy scapegoat. Sure, sometimes you can push your product too far (in the case of my last video card) but usually things like that only fail due to flaws in the hardware. Part of the problem is the fact that Microsoft's OS isn't the most stable software by nature. Heck I can't leave my default clocked, Microsoft approved drivered, plain jane Pentium four on for more than a few days by itself, a.k.a. no user input, without it rebooting or crashing itself. Now don't get me wrong, those computer companies passing off old product as new by overclocking it are bad and should be shut down, but I'll be damned if I sit by and let people think that Microsoft's OS would run perfectly if you didn't overclock. Thats a crock of BS the size of Bill Gates bank acount.

3. Calendryll

Calendryll MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    What version of windows are you running? I have win xp pro and its never crashed on me. My pc is up and running almost 24/7. Not to say i havent had problems here and there but it is usually through mistakes on my part. I am not defending Gates though so please dont take it that way. I agree with your view on what they call new product.

4. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    Win XP Pro, with all the latest fixes and everything, the newest ATI drivers, the newest motherboard drivers, everything

5. Calendryll

Market Rating:
    Damn, that sucks. I know Windows isnt the most stable OS but hey, its all we got. lol. Kinda like that crappy car i have.

6. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Mine works fine. 24/7/365.

7. Baseera

Baseera MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    heh, we overclock here in the lab all the time. :) I almost never have a problem with the flavor of windows I use (it's not on the market yet) but I also have a great big chiller connected directly to the cpu that I can lower to -10C.

I'd be very angry if I had found out someone sold me an overclocked computer. But then again. I wouldn't buy a PC. I'd buy a mac. :nod:

8. Kaeric

Kaeric Peasant

Market Rating:
    Where do you work, Bas?

9. Calendryll

Market Rating:
    I like to play a lot of games so a mac isnt really compatible with my lifestyle.

10. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Hopefully that will change. Maybe people will realize how bad Windows is and switch to the Mac OS. We'll just have to wait another decade or two for this to happen. But then again, so many stupid people in the U.S. or perhaps I should say, so many people that don't know jack about computers except maybe using them just like my parents. When I told them that they have a virus on their computer, they tell me to remove the parts that got infected (????) as though I could fix it by just removing some hardware. Yet they ebay all the time.

11. Baseera

Baseera MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    Intel - in the lab testing the new parts under development.

I was thinking about coming in on a weekend and making a sweet setup and trying to run WoW on it to see the specs. The worst we do here is quake.

12. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Ironically my overlocked and customized pc is totally stable with month long uptimes while my old G3 b/w likes to hard freeze up around once a day even though I haven't done anything other than install os x and some apps like ms office.

13. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:

14. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    micro$haft LOL

Hitometer: 53,849,170 since 1995