Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

OSX and dsl... and other fun questions

Discussion in 'Mac' started by Peadur, Jun 2, 2001.

1. Peadur

Peadur Peasant

Market Rating:
    Could someone shed some light on how easy or hard it is to hook up to high speed internet (specifically SWB dsl) in x? I just got my copy, and will not be able to install it till next week, but was hoping to get a little feedback before I began formatting and redoing everything. Can it be done with software that's a part of x, or do you need third party utilities, or a hub or what?
    While I'm asking questions, what about programs like norton or tech tools pro? Is it unwise to play around with an os x partition with those since they were not designed for X? I know that X comes with defrag capability built in, but what about other damage and viruses?
    Lastly, but not leastly (errr...) I'm thinking that I'm gonna get a external firewire drive (as my wussy 10 gig hard drive on my iMac will no longer cut it), and was kicking around the idea of making this my OS 9 partition that X could access for classic. Will this work, or does the partition need to be on the same disk? Thanks for any tips.

2. Peadur

Peadur Peasant

Market Rating:
  3. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I think they have to be on the same partition (without doing some weird unix moding).

OS X has everything you need for any type of DSL connection. Just plug in the ethernet cable to your Mac. If it's a static IP then just put in the numbers that they tell you and you're set. If it's dynamic or uses PPPoe dialup or something you're covered too. OS X has the PPPoe stack built into it. All of this is in your system pref -> Network i think.

notes:
    1. For PPPoe many times they will give you software to install. you don't need it, just use OS X's built in PPPoe support.

2. Some ISPs will give you a USB DSL modem. If they do you're basically SOL unless they give you OS X specific software to support it. Ask them specifically if the modem plugs into your computer using RJ45 (ethernet). If it doesn't, request that type of modem and see if they can hook you up.

4. Peadur

Peadur Peasant

Market Rating:
    thx jake,
    somebody set you up the bomb
    fobonics translator: 'you tha bomb';-)

5. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    the os 9 you use for classic can be anywhere, you just have to select it in system preferences

6. Peadur

Peadur Peasant

Market Rating:
    ok, so I'm thinking I'm gonna partition my internal 10 gig as follows:
    1) a 500 mb partition for a swapfile
    2) a partition for 9.1 for classic mode
    3) the rest to osx.

so how big would you how are more experienced and wize in the ways of x recommend I make the classic partition? Anyone? Anyone?

buler?

I just read on a mac os X forum a recommendation for partitioning a hard drive in a 6(osx)/2 ratio. Sound good????

7. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    partition the os x drive for a virtual memory swap file. Speeds up os x quite nicely.

8. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    ....as in, creating an isolated partition that only contains the page file (swap file, whatever)? where do you go to specify a path to the page file?

9. Peadur

Peadur Peasant

Market Rating:
    there are good instructions on it on the link in the second post on this thread.

Hitometer: 53,555,246 since 1995