Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

OSX and classic layer

Discussion in 'Mac' started by Moose, Feb 1, 2001.

1. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    This has come up before but I still haven't found any rock solid info to satisfy my needs. So here it is again. When you buy OSX will it come with OS 9? Is this a "buy two OS" situation or buy X get 9?

I am still looking for a definate answer!

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I don't think there is a definate answer to that yet. But I was reading somewhere that rumors are indicating that OS 9.5 will ship bundled with OS X 1.0. OS 9.5 is supposed to be a major revision to the Classic OS that will serve as a transition over to OS X.

3. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    If they're going to bundle 9.5 with os x then I'd pay a bit extra.

DON'T DOWNLOAD OS X!!!! GIVE APPLE YOUR SUPPORT!!!

Anyways, I hear Steve stripped out a bunch of features from 9.1 in preparation for 9.5. It'd make sense to ship them together because there are many programs that won't be carbonized or cocoaed.

4. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    I am going to buy OS X a month or so after it's release. I am a little leary as to how stable it will be. Actually that is a total lie, I fear the change. I also fear that things will not run as well in 9 (classic) as they do now. I have so much stuff that is for classic only. It hurts! But I have faith.

5. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    KAPAM!!!

Right off the apple website, top right hand corner.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/

That dispells the os 9.5 myth.

6. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    Nice! I hope that it will operate with 9.5, assuming it is out not too long after X is released.

7. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    well, somehow i got airport running under OS X. guess there's some kind of phantom extension or something in the 4k17 build. i havent tried any classic apps yet because of the whole no 3D support for Radeon, oh well... thats why i partitioned my drive and kept 9.1

8. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Airport support is implemented into 4k17

9. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Moose

I feared OS X for a long time too. Even when I got the beta and was playing with it for a while I was fearful. I didn't like the beta that much. But many of the features that were missing from the beta were added to OS X at MacWorld. And now that I've used the beta more I like it a lot. It's soooooo much better. It DOES take some getting used to, but once you get used to it you'll never look back.

note: the performance increase was very noticable when I upgraded my RAM from 192 to 320. This is obviously an OS that likes lots of RAM.

10. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    I will keep that in mind. I need to pick up another 128 MB while it is cheap. I have 320 now with one open slot. So I figure what the hell. I have plastic to plop it on!

11. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    at http://www.macosrumors.com they say that the newest builds on a fast machine can run comfortably with 96 megs of RAM. 64 if you push it.

Everything has been optimized. 10 second boot up with a fast machine and hard-drive, much less disk spinning icon occurances. :D :D :D :D :D

Hitometer: 53,855,134 since 1995