Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

OS X: To buy, or not to buy...

Discussion in 'Mac' started by Sacrilego, Apr 3, 2001.

1. Sacrilego

Sacrilego Peasant

Market Rating:
    on various numbers of macworld and cnet there are tons of articles such as "10 reasons for and 10 reasons against OS X". is it really worth buying? i heard that it may give problems to my hermstedt webshuttle cuz the control panel would be outdated on OS X and wouldnt work as a result. i've also heard that CLassic experiences frequent crashes as well... To buy, or not to buy.... this is my problem.... deep... ehhmm .whatever

2. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    I don't have nearly all the experience with it as many others here, but my take on it is this:

It is very well designed and thought out, and it's bad reviews are not actually Apple's fault, in my opinion, but rather the lack of software available. I believe that if many industry standard applications such as the Microsoft Office and Adobe Photoshop were already carbonized then no one would have nearly as many complaints. As it stands I boot off of OS 9.1 80% of the time I start my computer, this is just because of the software. I would actually prefer the OS X environment, but that can't be helped.

--Haite

3. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    The problems w/ the speed, performance, etc are because everyone is running it stock out of the box. No tweaking has been done as yet. There's about 6 months of really good optimization that everyone needs to do to make it better. I don't know about you, but I don't run my OS 9 partition stock, it's got all sorts of tweaks and utils installed. Plus, of course, IE sucks. I'm writing this on Omniweb, which is pretty darn cool. _I_ think it's worth buying, maybe not at the $190 price point, but certainly worth buying.

4. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    :wtf: $190?

I got mine for $99.99!

--Haite

5. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I like it, it just needs more native apps.

6. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    $190 Canadian. That's like t'ree fitty in USD... :D

Ie $100 USD = $150 Canadian. Shipping was $20 (2nd day fedex) so that's $170. Then there's 7% GST and PST (Federal and Provincial sales taxes). Comes to $193.80.

7. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    If you are really Jonesin' that hard to have it, then go ahead. Just don't expect to use it much right now, other than to familiarize yourself with it and see how pretty it is and maybe do some surfing. OS X will probably not be ready become your primary OS until 6-12 months from now. As far as the media goes, keep in mind that anyone bashing it is very likely a mindless Windoze sheep who believes anything that they read and probably has never even given Mac OS a try. The Mac sites pretty much love OS X from what I've read, they are just telling people to expect an OS that is not yet mature. Don't think of it as a version 10.0 of the old Mac OS, in reality it is a version 1.0 of a completely new OS, and will need some time to grow.

8. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    I got the Apple education discount. $69 US bay-beeee. :hump:

9. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    My school won't let me buy through them :mad:.

--Haite

10. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    You suck. Heh! :D Razzafraggin educational discount...

11. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    If you're still in HS, you're screwed unless the school or someone in the faculty will buy it for you. If you are in college or grad school though, you are allowed to buy one computer and two software titles per academic year with the discount, as long as your school shows up in the list on Apple's site. (Like mine. :D) You don't need to go through your school if that's the case, just go to Apple Store site and get it.

Hitometer: 53,594,170 since 1995