Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

OS X Questions

Discussion in 'Mac' started by gekko, Apr 4, 2001.

1. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    I just recieved OS X when it shipped on the 23rd. I debated over installing it on my PB because i'm too lazy to backup my data. I did it anyway, cause i wanted to play. Now i have questions:

1) Why the hell can't in import favorites in IE5.1? Or even export in IE5?

2) Why isn't QT5 accepting my pro registration?

3) How can i choose what OS to boot up as without booting the OS, then selecting the other one and restarting?

4) How did Jobs make the genie thing go slow?

5) 10.0.1 was fake right? Or non-official?

Thanx.

2. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    Screw #2, it's working.

3. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    1) Because.

2) It should.

3) Hold down option on startup.

4) Hold down option

5) Fake, official will be released in about a week with twice the optimizations.

4. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    ok.. for #3 holding option only works if you partitioned your drive. otherwise just use the startup disk control panel/preference pane to switch between the X and 9.1 system folders

5. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    you CAN import your favorites. Go into your classic system folder - > preferences -> Explorer (i think) - > there will be a favorites file in there. Copy that to some place that's easy to find. Then you bring up your favorites in IE 5.1 for OS X and go to File and Import Favorites - > find the favorites file. I think that's how I did it.

6. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    Umm...

#3 isn't working for reasons that you said. When i get my G4 do you think i should partion that HD so i can choose? If so, what size should OS 9 be? Just big enough for the OS, or big enough for all my apps too?

#4 doesn't work.

7. Autolycus

Market Rating:
    the partition only needs to be big enough for the 9.1 system, i'll probably be using a separate 2GB drive or something like that...

also, your computer is going to be delayed for quite some time if you plan on keeping that GeForce3 in it.. i'd get a radeon and wait until december and order a Radeon II (at least, thats what i did..)

8. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    With the rumors of it shipping on April 5th or next week, i won't cancel now. Not that dumb.

9. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    WHAT?!?!

There are people who don't install X onto it's own partition!?!?!??!

10. Autolycus

Market Rating:
    HAHAHA april 5th? yeah right.. well, good luck waiting. too bad Radeon II is going to smack down the GeForce3

11. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    #2) It's case sensitive, I think. All the letters have to be uppercase...

12. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Now that it's the official release why wouldn't you install X on the same partition? I did and there aren't any conceivable problems. :rolleyes:

--Haite

13. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Ok, maybe you like sifting through Unix folder hierachy to find all your programs, but I like to leave all that unix crap on one partition and put all my games and apps on the other partition which is catagorized logically.

ie :

hard drive -->
    (Apps, Games, My stuff, System) -->
    sub folders like D2, Quake 3, MS word, blah blah

Easy to find stuff

14. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    And why the hell would i cancel?

Let's see...
    • Gekko's been waiting 6 weeks, another won't hurt. Auto is a millionaire who can't stand living without the latest technology and would rather have his G4 now and buy a GF3 later, then a Radeon II.
    • The Geforce3 is worth waiting for.
    • Knowing tons of new games are coming out and are being developed for the GF3, it's gonna look better than it will with Radeon II.
    • I'll be waiting a couple weeks for a kick-ass video card while you get a worse one and wait 6 months with the hopes that it doesn't get delayed.
    • There is not a delay on the cards yet. Have you heard that Apple won't get them in soon? No. So why would i cancel now?
    • The PC cards are scheduled for next week. Macs will be out at the same time.

15. Autolycus

Market Rating:
    hey, its fine if you feel like waiting for the GeForce3 im just saying that it'll be close to may before you see it. (and YES apple DID tell me that)

dont go bashing products you dont know anything about either.. the Radeon II will have all the programmable features of the GF3 and then some..

16. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    I'm waiting until Apple actually says something, and not some paper bag :D

I'll cancel, but then if it ships next week i'd feel stupid now wouldn't i?

I'll give Apple a call tomorrow. If they can't give me a date i'll throw in a cheesy Radeon.

But still, as good as the Radeon II is, i think the GF3 will be better. Of course new models by then, big deal. The fact is Nvidia is dominating the PC market, and most games are being developed for PCs. So then they program all that crap with the GF3 and will Radeon II read it? I doubt it. My guess is GF3 will have some programmable stuff as will Radeon II. If Radeon II actually reads all of the GF3 code and then also anything programmed for the Radeon II, i'd be suprised. I love the Radeon, i have the 64MB in my PC. But i don't think waiting for the Radeon II is YOUR best bet. But you're rich and can afford a $600 GF3 when it comes out too :D

As for me, we'll see tomorrow. I want my G4, and i want it by my B-day. My b-day is in 6 days!

17. Autolycus

Market Rating:
    hehe.. look for some Radeon II specs on the web somewhere.. you'll change your mind real quick :D

18. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    I just called the Apple Store to change my order. They said my machine will "more than likely" ship next week, with GF3 card. So i left it.

I also tried to change shipping but it's too late. I'm stuck with UPS, but there is a chance it may go FedEx. PLEASE go FedEx. FedEx shipped my Apple Care crap and DVD-Rs which got here in 4 days with ground shipping. UPS shipped OS X and it took 10 days and traveled back and forth around the country.

Let's all pray for my G4 to come in one piece next week.

19. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    Oh and COWWW... its not OPTION... its SHIFT... SHIFT I TELL YOU... :wtf: and it works with shift so don't go there :p

20. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yep, shift works. w00t!

Hitometer: 53,555,763 since 1995