Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

OS X and OS 9 (long)

Discussion in 'Mac' started by Keeksy, Dec 21, 2001.

1. Keeksy

Keeksy Peasant

Market Rating:
    Over the past year, there has been a lot of debate over the merits of OS X. Last summer, while Steve Jobs and a few select fanatics where touting Apple's newest OS as the greatest single thing that had ever happened for the Mac platform, most users remained unimpressed. Complaints were numerous and ranged from subtile things like GUI annoyances to more serious problems including speed issues and broken features. Of course what keep most people away from OS X was not a flaw in the operating system itself, but rather its lack of 3rd party support as OS X native programs have only recent begun to ship in masse.

Now that we are up to version 10.1.2 however, most of the initial issues with the operating system itself have been resolved, and just about every mac developer is showing full support for the new OS. While thousands of Mac users have switched to OS X, a significant percent have not. Speed still appears to be an issue, except the same users who prefer OS 9 are the same ones who own the oldest machines.

While Apple claims OS X will run on any Mac with a G3 and 128MB of RAM, most experts will tell you unless you have better than a 500MHz CPU and 256MB of RAM, don't bother with OS X. This angers many Mac users, but we must understand that OS X is a next generation operating system not meant to run on previous generation hardware. This is the price we must pay for a legacy free OS. It is simply not possible to support both old and new hardware without sacrifising functionality on either side. Apple made the choice to drop legacy support, so it would be free to make its OS as future proof as possible. OS X, after all, is based on the core technology that will drive Macs for the next decade. It would be foolish then, to target that technology towards a three year old machine.

I know this makes some of you angry, but atleast try to understand where Apple is coming from. Many of the features that Apple chose to include in OS X are just too demanding for old hardware. I think once the operating system matures and developers begin to harness more of its power, people will finally understand why Apple did what they did. In the mean time, if you are already in love with OS X, that's great. Just understand that many people have to reason to be impressed yet. Be patient and be civil. Change is never easy, so if you still use OS 9, I'm sure you have your reasons, and I will no longer bug you. :)

I hope you're ****ing happy cow! :mad: ;)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2001
  2. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Whats an "Oh ES 9"?

3. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Keeksy, I refuse to read your post until you add some paragraphs.

4. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
  5. powerhouse

powerhouse Peasant

Market Rating:
    I thought Apple had some kind of emulation for classic apps. Was I on crack when I heard that, or does it exist but is useless for the most part?

6. Keeksy

Keeksy Peasant

Market Rating:
    No, Classic works very well. It's just that apps running in Classic have no way of using OS X's most powerful features. Also, remember that emulation is slower than the actual thing being emulated. Running applications in Classic is slower than running them native in OS 9 or the Carbon/Cocoa version in OS X. Despite OS X's aesthetic appeal, there is no point in using it if your favorite applications aren't native. If you do a lot of work in Photoshop, don't switch to OS X yet. Although Classic is nice for some things, it will slow you down if you want to be productive. :( OS X is the future however, and eventually people will run out of excusses not to upgrade. It hasn't happened yet, and it probably won't happen for another year, but everyone will want to switch. Until then, there is nothing wrong with using OS 9, and OS 9 users understand that some of us are already in love. Don't flame our OS of choice and we won't flame yours. We can all flame M$ instead. :)

7. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    Expert here: I have a 333MHz iMac with 256MB RAM and OS X runs perfectly, so :p

8. powerhouse

powerhouse Peasant

Market Rating:
    It sounds like you're contradicting yourself there...

Last edited: Dec 23, 2001
  9. Grizzly

Grizzly Peasant

Market Rating:
    I declare today pick on Keeksy day!

Oh wait, that's everyday.... :p

10. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Powerhouse is always Keeksy's biggest critic :p.

--Haite

11. Keeksy

Keeksy Peasant

Market Rating:
    Classic works great. I used Word 98 and still use Photoshop all the time in OS X. I say Classic works great because it does a great job "emulating" OS 9. Classic is stable and compatable with most OS 9 applications, but because you're emulating the enviroment your apps are running in, there's a slight performance hit. This may not bother you if you're Word processing or doing small Photoshop jobs, but it will certainly hinder your work flow if you're using Premiere to convert DV footage into a Photoshop file, so you can do some amature rotoscoping and apply gaussian blurs to 3000 frames at once. If you wanna do stuff like that, you gotta reboot. I use Classic for all my none time critical jobs in OS 9. It's great for that! Anything that saves you the trouble of rebooting is great in my book. I'd drop Classic in a heart beat if I could however. Classic is major resource hog, and I'd prefer it if I didn't have to allocate memory to Premiere by hand, or have to reboot the whole enviroment when Illistrator freezes. :( I like Classic only because I still need OS 9. If I didn't, I drop it like a bad habit. :)

BTW... I don't mind the fact that powerhouse picks on me. He's one of the few people here who actually reads what I write. Can't get anything by him though. :p I always have to be on my toes. :mad:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2001
  12. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Classic's fine. Don't use your old bloated classic system. Install a new classic partition with no extensions. Runs supah fast

13. Keeksy

Keeksy Peasant

Market Rating:
    Except you need Extensions to use most OS 9 apps.

14. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    No you don't.

15. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    yes you do

16. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Don't need any for photoshop. Don't need any for fireworks. Don't need any for Internet Explorer, don't need any for any other classic program that I've run. They all run fine even though I installed them onto my other classic partition. They all work with the base os 9 extensions.

17. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    :rolleyes:

try disabling all extensions.

18. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    :rolleyes:

The fact that you have the base os 9 extensions is a given. Nothing works without them.

19. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    exactly what keeksy said.. most everything requires extensions. it is not given that the base extensions are not extensions. :wtf:

pwned! say uncle! :D

20. powerhouse

powerhouse Peasant

Market Rating:
    How do you convert DV footage into a photoshop file? Do you mean just a single frame?

More people might read what you say if you broke up the text and were a little less wordy. =D

Hitometer: 53,597,625 since 1995