Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

opinions on cataclysm?

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by Jakeman, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    It looks crappy to me. My initial impressions of the 4.0 patch include:

- lots of new skins and interfaces but very few functional changes such that the confusion hardly seems worth it
    - only a few superficial new features, mostly tweaks and refinements without much in the way of cause (change for change's sake)
    - removed features (e.g. talent reduction)
    - further homogenization of classes and therefore even less diversity in the gameplay (e.g. the removal of hybrid specs)
    - rigid talent speccing, no longer allows much in the way of creative speccing.
    - lots of ricey shit in the HUD
    - added bloat to glyph system
    - dragon ball z power inflation

Of course once cataclysm hits then the entire world will be reskinned, no doubt without much in the way of functional changes (see first item in list).

The game is stale. Blizzard is just trying to dress it up with this expansion.

2. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    We have little experience thus far with the changes in 4.0 leading in to Cataclysm. This is what I've experienced so far.

And just to let you know, my main is a level 80 Restoration/Elemental Shaman, so I'm coming at this from the perspective of a healer.

The good I've noticed.

Keep in mind, I haven't played every single class, nor have experience with every single class, but I'm a person who likes variety, so I try as much as I can...

Warlocks now have 3 distinct play styles. Affliction plays very different from Demonology which plays very different from Destruction. The problem I always had playing a pure dps class, that is a class that did three varieties of dps was, that it didn't provide enough variety. My Warlock was my first ever toon, and I abandoned him, because he didn't provide enough of a variety of play style that, say, a Shaman has (healing, caster dps, melee dps). Blizzard has made me like Warlocks again.

The Death Knight dedicated blood tanking tree is a huge improvement.

And speaking of Death Knights and Warlocks, I really do like the way that actions bars light up now when certain abilities proc (like Rime for Frost DKs). I never used an add-on where this feature was available, so if Blizzard stole this from a third-party, I apologize to you third-party guy.

The bad:

At least for now, the DPS has been buffed too much, and the tanks have been nerfed too much. I was in RS-25 last night, and our Boomkins were pulling aggro after 2 casts. And we were using marks and single target dps on the trash and they still shot straight to the top of the threat meters.

DPSing as healers. I have no idea what Blizzard is thinking here, but they seem to be trying to force healers to dps to either buff their heals (as in the case of resto shaman's focused insight ability) or as a mana efficiency tool (as in telluric currents ability for resto shamans). I fail to see where I'd actually implement this in anything other than over-geared heroics. And at that point who cares?

Moving crap around for no reason. You are right here. What's the point in moving our tabs around? There's no functional reason for it (like adding a profession tab in the spells and abilities window) or moving the pets and mounts tabs from the character pane to the spells and abilities pane. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but there was no reason to change it. Oh, and I still can't figure out where they moved my social tab, or my friends list.

I'm most looking forward to the new under water zones and the flying everywhere finally. I don't mind the re-skinning of old Azeroth for that reason.

I'm willing to give Cata a shot, but if Diablo III holds my attention enough, I'll probably quit WoW shortly after that is released.

3. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    I was wondering this, even though I don't play WoW.

How are the new races?

The new TRON game came out on the same day, so while I was waiting in line at the midnight release for it, I asked everyone in line if they were getting TRON as if I didn't know they were all waiting for WoW. Hilarity ensued. It turned out I was the only one waiting for TRON :(

4. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I didn't buy cata. I am continuing to play at level 80.

The new races look neat and have cool dances.

I have heard really good things about the new content. Lots of phasing is being used in the new content. The underwater zone is supposed to be really cool. And everything is much more difficult, ala 1.0. Noobs are crying.

5. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    I'll let you know as soon as I get a functioning computer that can play it...

6. Wiezzen

Wiezzen Peasant

Market Rating:
    The biggest annoyance I've come across in Cataclysm is how every item in your inventory takes damage when you die. It's upsetting to me because I liked to carry my 2 additional sets of armor for different specs around with me at all times. If that wasn't bad enough, I didnt have any room in my bank to store my additional armor.

Hitometer: 53,812,031 since 1995