Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Open or Closed, you guys vote.

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by Jakeman, Jul 4, 2000.

1. Jade~Mist

Jade~Mist Peasant

Market Rating:
    Open
    I may be running on 33.6, but like most people I don't trust b.net. And it is handy to have backed-up characters, so if you do run into a pesky PK or hacker online, you can go back and fix your character.
    Is there a way to transfer my PC characters to the Mac? I don't mind starting over, but my Sorceress is rocking.

------------------
    Jade~Mist, Sister Sorceress

2. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Hmm... The PC version uses .key and .mp0 extensions. If the info is stored the same way you might be able too. I'm hoping for that too since I've got a level 23 sorceress and a level 13 barbarian on a PC.

------------------
    By reading the above post you agree that your soul is mine.

3. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    I vote closed. How do we war with other clans if our characters aren't on Battle net? =). It's a bit insular as well, isn't it? Doesn't open mean we'd only be playing in rings of our own making?

4. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sparhawk:
    I vote closed. How do we war with other clans if our characters aren't on Battle net? =). It's a bit insular as well, isn't it? Doesn't open mean we'd only be playing in rings of our own making?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does it matter? When I'm on Bnet I'd rather play with people in our clan than someone else and you can do that with open characters.

------------------
    By reading the above post you agree that your soul is mine.

5. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Actually you have it confused. Closed characters don't play on battle.net, only open ones do. For the closed characters Blizzard has realms (closed battle.net). Open characters still play on battle.net (open battle.net) the same way Diablo 1 chars do.

6. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jakeman:
    Actually you have it confused. Closed characters don't play on battle.net, only open ones do. For the closed characters Blizzard has realms (closed battle.net). Open characters still play on battle.net (open battle.net) the same way Diablo 1 chars do.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, I see. I thought the open characters didnt' play on Battle.net at all (I thought private hosting. Shoulda read the manual).

------------------
    I say we nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

7. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cowofwar:
    Does it matter? When I'm on Bnet I'd rather play with people in our clan than someone else and you can do that with open characters.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, but it's nice to have someone (or two) to have your back when you're in the wilderness with all those bad ol' put..er, pc users. [​IMG]

------------------
    I say we nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

8. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Actually, just so I don't give the wrong impression of open chars... I've heard that with open chars all the serving is done from the comp of the person hosting, not from the battle.net servers. So you have to have a really good computer to host effectively. But that's just what I heard. I know in Diablo 1 the serving is done from the battle.net servers so the host can leave and the game still goes. I don't see why Blizzard would change this with D2. Like I said, I just heard this.

9. Rustam

Rustam Peasant

Market Rating:
    1: Closed

I plan on enjoying D2 two ways: solo and on b.net with the clan. If the servers wipe my character on b.net, I won't cry about it; the only thing that would ruin my enjoyment of net play would be CHEATING. Saying that there will be no cheating because it's against clan rules is a bit optimistic, don't you think?

-Rustam

10. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    not really optimistic. More of a policy enforcable by removal from the clan if broken. Cheating is not the main issue though. People in the clan who don't live near the US East Coast server will get screwed with major lag if their char is closed. That means a good portion of the clan would not have an enjoyable playing experience.

11. Martyn Tallanvor

Martyn Tallanvor Peasant

Market Rating:
    i have to vote open because i dont want my char lost due to there stupid server crashing!

12. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    I think open. It would be nice to play solo and on b-net with the same character.

13. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Current Results:

1. Closed Character! = 9
    2. Open Character! = 11

This is a close one. At this point I wouldn't feel comfortable declaring either one the winner since it would mean half the clan wouldn't get what they want. We'll let this one go up until the last minute before Mac Diablo 2 comes out.

I don't think doing a combination of open and closed characters is an option since it would literally divide the clan in half (open can't play with closed and vice versa). I was thinking about letting people create their character on different realms depending on which is closest. Yet again, this would divide the clan even more so (4 divisions, one for each realm). This is a tough situation.

14. olon97

olon97 Peasant

Market Rating:
    I vote 1 - Closed I don't know what 200+ members will translate into in terms of joinable games at the times I'm playing, so I'd like to have the option of just joining a no-password game without having to deal with cheaters.

This is assuming that Blizzard has their act in order with their servers by the time the Mac version is shipped. I would rather play in open and get to play than theoretically have a closed character I can only access half the time.

Also, I thought I read somewhere that you could clone a closed character to the open system (although obviously not the other way around). If this is true, then going initially with closed characters leaves open the extreme option of migrating en masse to the open system. I would even consider cloning a closed character just to play for the fun of it, realizing that I wouldn't actually keep any experience or items from that playing session when I go back to the closed charater.

15. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Blizzard once said you could clone a closed char like that, but now in their official FAQ it says you CANNOT do that. It's permanently on their servers no matter what you do. You can't even touch your character file.

16. ASSASSIN

ASSASSIN Peasant

Market Rating:
    closed

17. Rul

Rul Peasant

Market Rating:
    I AM SO FOR OPEN CHARECTORS! If battle net crashes and we have closed charectors then our charector hit the dirt 6 feet under.. THAT WOULD REALLY SUCK! If we make an agreement not to cheat then we wont have to worry about cheating in our clan.K! [​IMG] sorry I get a little worked up over my opinions(the right ones).. [​IMG]

------------------
    ....ITS COMING...CANT HOLD .... GOT TO REALES IT... AAAAHAAAH!(mac_Rul smiling politly)!

18. Azrael

Azrael Peasant

Market Rating:
    After reading all the above responces, I vote open

19. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Current:

1. Closed: 11
    2. Open: 13

20. Jade~Mist

Jade~Mist Peasant

Market Rating:
    I've already voted open, but was thinking of something. Why is everyone concerned with cheating? I for one joined this clan because of the rules against cheating, so for me, I shouldn't even have to ask if anyone else here would cheat. I assume everyone here is on the level and that is what I would want in return. If we can't trust each other, then what. As for the others out there on b.net, well, I don't plan on playing public games. Only clan games or with friends I know. So that should fix that problem. I like the idea of open characters, more flexiblity in them, being able to play offline, online, and tcp/ip
    Anyway, just wanted to voice that. It's just my opinion.

------------------
    "The magic is in the blood, it flows from the heart. Every time you use it, part of yourself goes with it. Only when you are prepared to give of yourself and receive nothing back will the magic work for you"

Hitometer: 53,853,293 since 1995