Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Open or Closed, you guys vote.

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by Jakeman, Jul 4, 2000.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    You guys take a vote. Open or closed characters. I'll list all the pros and cons that I know of.

Closed chars:
    Pros: no cheating. less lag and no modem speed requirements on the computer hosting (so I hear) since the realms take care of the "serving". character is stored on the realms making them accessable from any computer with D2 installed and internet (so I've been told). Can participate in the ladder system. Have option to play hardcore mode (but we probably wouldn't use hardcore for the clan).

Cons: must be online to play character. no single player offline mode (no beefing up your character on your own time). Can only play with others on your realm. Cannot play with open characters. We would all need to create our chars on the same realm (US East) which could have performance effects for those living around the world from the server. Battle.net realms are very buggy right now and I know people that have lost characters on the realms. Cannot transfer char to open character, it must ALWAYS stay on the realm.

Open chars:
    Pros: offline single player mode. can play with ANY other open chars around the world. Not dependant on realm status as it uses "open" battle.net. You have an actual "tangible" character file on your HD that you can backup or move to other computers as you wish. You can do LAN games with without loggin onto battle.net.

Cons: Cheating is potentially just as prevalent as in Diablo 1 (however, if you're just playing with clan members then cheating won't be an issue as it is against the rules of the clan). Cannot play with closed characters. Cannot participate in ladders and hardcore modes, etc. The computer hosting the game needs to have a fat connection and tons of RAM, etc to even think about hosting a game with more than 4 players.

If anyone knows of any other pros and cons that should be listed here please post them. Please vote either 1 or 2. thanx

1. Closed Characters!
    2. Open Characters!

(I am currently undecided on this issue. I keep changing my mind) [​IMG]

------------------
    lamo mac boy

2. Dark_Warrior

Dark_Warrior Peasant

Market Rating:
    i think i'm going to vote closed....1....but i might change my mind....proably by tommorrow

3. Demon_T

Demon_T Peasant

Market Rating:
    Living in the UK I would have to vote 2 as I am very worried about lots of lag as a result of using a distant server (I also would like to play single player offline with my character)

------------------
    The Pope?
    how many divisions does HE have?

4. Hells Fire

Hells Fire Peasant

Market Rating:
    I think 1 would be better beacuse we don't need so much ram.

5. Mendel

Mendel Peasant

Market Rating:
  6. Keeksy

Keeksy Peasant

Market Rating:
    Although choosing choice 1 would eliminate cheating, and online play would be smoother, I'm going to have to cast my vote for 2. I would be extremely pissed if I lost my level 38 Necromancer when Blizzard's servers went down. I also don't care that much for hardcore mode, and would like to be able to play games in multiple realms. But I have a question, why can't we use both? [​IMG]

------------------
    Constipated from anticipation

[This message has been edited by Keeksy (edited 07-04-2000).]

7. Dark_Warrior

Dark_Warrior Peasant

Market Rating:
    like i told you to expect.....i'm revising my vote. i think i'm going to go for 2. i've done a lot of thinking about this, and i just don't think it's worth losing a character that i've spent a lot of time on cuz blizzard's server crashed

8. mud

mud Peasant

Market Rating:
    how about 21?

we could gave closed charceters for ladders and such, and not to leave out people that dont live nearby we can have open characters.

------------------
    mud
    The water and dirt stuff

[This message has been edited by mud (edited 07-05-2000).]

9. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    having both open and closed for the clan wouldn't work. Open chars can't play with closed chars and vice versa. They would be totally separate entities. So if we are going to be a clan then we need to decide on one or the other.

10. mud

mud Peasant

Market Rating:
    Then closed, 1. Even though there wont be guild halls they said they might put them in a exspansion rihgt? and dont guild halls have to be closed?

------------------
    mud
    The water and dirt stuff

11. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Whatever you decide is fine with me. I'll just go with the flow. I've got an open level 23 sorceress in Act 3, Scene 2 and an open level 13 barbarian in Act 2, Scene 1 right now. I have a total of 0 closed characters so it looks like I'll have to create one if necessary.
    I'm more or less indifferent to this decision.

------------------
    By reading the above post you agree that your soul is mine.

12. Wonder_Bread

Wonder_Bread Peasant

Market Rating:
    I go for two this way I could have it backed because it really sucks if server crashes. Also I might have to change file types, really easy but I could use my friends PC and then use the character on my Mac. Also I trust the memebers of the clan to keep their word so I don't think cheating will be a problem

13. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    results so far:

Closed (1) = 4
    Open (2) = 5

this is close...

14. Muskie

Muskie Peasant

Market Rating:
    I vote closed. The main reason for closed characters was to prevent cheating while playing online. Not to take advantage of this seems silly. I plan to play with people not just in this clan, as most of my friends own PC's so if they got into this game naturally I'd want to play with them too.

I think the odds of blizzards server crashing and them losing your character for ever and ever and ever are pretty small. Whereas I doubt most people here back up their own system everyday which any good sys admin should do. So if their local hard drive goes kaput maybe they'd wished their character was saved somewhere else. Then again everyone should keep in mind it's only a game.

15. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Actually, I vote open. I really want to play with my characters online with other clan members.

------------------
    By reading the above post you agree that your soul is mine.

16. Jakeman

Market Rating:
  17. Wran

Wran Peasant

Market Rating:
    I vote for closed. I don't like the cheating in Diablo 1, and it seems more fun to be on the ladders, and be an official clan when it happens.

Wran

18. TalosDragonFire

TalosDragonFire Peasant

Market Rating:
  19. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    Open

I'm not really concerned about cheating. I only plan on playing with Clan members. Really bad diablo experiences on b.net before have tought me to always back up my character.

Doing otherwise is just wasting my time.

The _only_ thing making me even think closed are the massive requirements for a 4+ player game.

20. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I'm gonna have to vote open. Everyone I talk to says to go open. Battle.net is, and always has been, not very stable. No one trusts battle.net with their character file. Plus the single player "beefing your character" sessions are very nice. I like the idea of being able to back up my own character and be able to go back to a previous backup if I, for example, put a skill point into the wrong skill or something like that. Closed chars are very limited in that they only reside on the server, and they can only play people in their realm.

My biggest concern and reason for voting open is for the sake of our members that are on the opposite side of the world from the US East Coast server. The lag they would experience would be constant and unchanging. For example, if I lived in China, I wouldn't want my character file to be permanently stored on a US server half way around the world from me. Especially since I would never be able to convert it to open or make copies of it myself. But that's me.

Results now:

1. Closed = 7
    2. Open = 8

Hitometer: 53,852,860 since 1995