Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

ok - I'm thinking

Discussion in 'PC Forum' started by Elbereth, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    I've never bought a PC, and the only one I ever owned was given to me (by Intel!) So I need advice. I found this bundle - does it suck? It is $1179.

Antec 16xx or Coolermaster Centurion 5 or Cavalier Chassis with Vantec Stealth 520 Watt Power Supply
    Asus A8N-E Motherboard
    Audio 7.1 (8 channel), Gigabit Network
    AMD Athlon64 Model XP3500+ 939pin Retail CPU 2.2Ghz 512k Cache
    Kingston Memory, 1gb PC3200 (1 matched pair 512mb modules for boards' dual-channel capability)
    Seagate Hard Drive, 200gb Serial ATA 7200RPM
    Sony DVD
    Sony dw-d22a DVD +RW -RW
    Sony Floppy Drive
    USB/Flash Memory Card Reader
    ATI/Saphire X700 128mb PCI-Express 8x Video Adapter or Nvidia based 6600GT 128mb - please specify at order time
    On-board 10/100/1000 Network connector

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    That is a very decent system. If it were me I would probably upgrade the video card to a $500 model (ATI X800 or nVidia 6800GT), but that is just icing.

3. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Downgrade the processor and upgrade the video card. The differenece between the 3000+ and the 3500+ isn't as much as between two video card generations. You can just overclock the difference.

4. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Interesting combo, I would imagine you'd probably hit about the same price building it yourself.

The thing about it is what cow said - I personally would change a few things while still keeping it at the same price point.

Lower the processor a bit, raise the video card, check out the best mobo (I hear that MSI makes the best AMD motherboards), get a simple and elegant case (those ones sounds like they light up like the Vegas strip), and although it's relatively unknown, I'd highly recommend the Seasonic Super Silencer line of power supplies. The big brand name PSU's are all noisy hot junk, and this little start-up makes super high quality, efficient, and quiet units that I have nothing but love for.

Oh, and buy everything at www.newegg.com - you won't regret it.

5. Calendryll

Calendryll MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    The motherboard on that system is fine- Asus is great, its what i use and i have never had problems with them. A little more pricey than others but worth it in my mind. I'm with the rest on the graphics card though- ive got a 128 and i am ready to upgrade already. Nice system though! Even if you dont want to change anything it is still a great little setup.

6. Elbereth

Market Rating:
    Thanks all for the advice. I'll look at the better video card options.

7. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    8x PCI-Express seems like a bit lacking, since AGP goes to 8x as well. If you're going PCI-Express, get a system that utilizes the full 16x bus speed.

just my two cents.

8. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    I have an Asus P4C800-E board and I love it. But I read that MSI had the best performing models for AMD and they're so inexpensive without sacrificing quality.

It definitely is a great buy overall. I guess what it comes down to is the changes I'd make are just personal taste.

9. Elbereth

Market Rating:
    OK then, what am I missing now? I have a monitor. :D

• LITE-ON Black IDE DVD Burner Model SOHW-1673S BK - Retail
    • Lian Li PC-60BPlus Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
    • SONY Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Windows 98SE/ ME/ 2000/ XP - OEM
    • Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS 160GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA II Hard Drive - OEM (2)
    • ABIT AN8-ULTRA Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
    • CREATIVE Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS 70SB035000000 8 (7.1) Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail
    • SeaSonic S12-600 ATX12V 600W Power Supply - Retail
    • CORSAIR XMS 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model CMX512-3200C2PT - (2)
    • Microsoft Windows XP Professional With Service Pack 2 - OEM or Windows 64?
    • AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3500BPBOX - Retail
    • ASUS EN7800GTX/2DHTV/256 Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail *

10. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Don't bother with windows 64.

Save your money and pirate corporate sp2. I mean what.

What's with the power supply? Never heard of them and it looks overkill. Go for a more reasonable well known brand.

11. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    It's the brand that Haite recommended.

12. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    My bad, but 600 watts is still overkill.

ps boom tisk boom tisk

13. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Seasonic is very good. 600W is more than you'd probably use, but on the same coin their PSU's are cheaper than bigger brands. I have a 400 or 450 W model from them and it's so much value for money. They're quiet - like Pentium 1 computer quiet. Quiet like when heat dissipated wasn't a concern. I'd never buy another Antec or Thermaltake piece of over-hyped gaming-lingo-ridden garbage that's just a heat-producing hunk of junk with a giant squeaky fan. Seasonic is to Thermaltake what the Pentium M is to the Pentium 4 - way more efficient.

14. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    I believe strongly in my power supply. :p

15. Elbereth

Market Rating:
    I noticed.

The price difference between the 430 and the 600 wasn't that much.

16. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    I just looked over those specs in detail - wow. That computer is going to be a beast. I've never tried an nVidia card but I'm thinking about it depending on how the ATI offering in September goes down (next gen Radeon). I wanna hear what you think of your card after you have everything up and running.

Oh, and Microsoft is closing access to Windows Update to people that have illegal copies. It's not worth it. A lot of pirated discs have problems with them. I just bought a legal copy of XP Pro with SP2 a few months ago and reformatted my computer; the whole process is a little easier and more morally comfortable. An OEM copy from Newegg only costs about $140.

17. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    I bought windows for its true, fair value.

18. Elbereth

Market Rating:
    I should be ordering in a week or so - so I'll let you know then. I hope this thing goes together easily - I've never done this.

:nod:

19. ckmonster

ckmonster Peasant

Market Rating:
    SLI

I'd personnaly get a SLI board for duel graphics card (and i did). nForce4 boards are good. and wait a lil while till the nVidia 7 series drops in price

Jakeman likes this.
  20. Calendryll

Calendryll MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    For a good SLI config it's going to cost a load. But if you have the money.....it is sweet.

Hitometer: 53,840,874 since 1995