Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Next WoW expansion

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by Lurk, Aug 2, 2007.

1. ColdHeat

ColdHeat MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    Yea i dont know about the hero classes but i have a feeling blizz woulnt do somthing that could ruin the game. Just have to wait and see how it works out.

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Lots of info on the front page of this site - http://www.mmo-champion.com/

It sounds like engineers are gonna get gyrocopters at some point.

3. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Improved Frostbolt/Fireball are the only cast time improvements I'm aware of that bring about a reduction in damage coefficients. VERY inconsistent (and some would argue unfair) implementation.

I'm wary of this as well. If the only "hero" aspect of this class is that he starts at a high level then maybe it's not so bad. The incentive to roll one is the uniqueness, not necessarily the superiority.

If they truly want to balance this game then start by getting rid of instanced PvP and the associated rewards. Nearly every class change of late has been to balance arena play. A PvE game balanced around PvP doesn't work.

4. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    That doesn't happen for "cast time" talents for any other class? Weird. They obviously did it to nerf mage dps. The nerf might be deserved, but if the implementation is inconsistent then they should probably rework it.

Hmm, without that nerf I would have another 115 spell damage on my primary nuke. :scratchc:

5. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Yes, this was a deliberate nerf to mage DPS. The so-called "10% damage tax" is one of the biggest complaints from mages. The talents still improve your overall DPS, but not as much as they used to.

I have a hard time seeing how it's deserved, for any reason other than the devs don't want mages to easily out-DPS the other caster classes (read: Warlocks, the class played by most of the devs, or so the mage forums would have you believe.) They've never really justified the change.

6. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    With my dps I am in no position to complain. I am always #1. At best I have been matched by two rogues (Rugge and some one in Lethality, starts with an S I think), one shaman (Sheep from Casual), and one warlock (Nitemare from Casual) that I can recall. I also came across an awesome fire mage recently who matched me (Madcapp from Lethality), but that falls under mage dps.

I don't understand the dps complaints from mages.

ps - I claim this thread for mages :king:

7. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    All threads are mage threads.

Anyway, I'm usually at or near the top as well, and it's always other mages there with me. This is in KZ and Gruul's. SSC and TK:E may be different experiences, I personally don't know and probably never will. Lately I've been resetting my personal meter before every boss fight, since I've found it's way too easy to inflate on trash, and trash doesn't matter anyway. Even so I'm still at or near the top on most fights, except for certain encounters that are not caster DPS friendly.

The problem with the 10% tax is that being a percentage, it scales, so it actually nerfs you more the better your gear gets. I could envision a scenario for post-KZ mages being gimped relative to the other classes due to this, but like I said I have no personal experience.

8. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    The thing that has always irked me about this game is inaccessible content. I can only access all of the content if I join a guild like Casual, but that's not my play style so my access is restricted. And even Casual doesn't see everything... for example, they never finished Naxx. In Diablo 2 you could solo the main boss of the game if you were good. I miss that.

The raid content in WotLK looks to be more of the same.

edit - for great justice

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  9. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Amazingly you haven't been flamed yet, at least not as of 7:20 AM EDT. I guess the hardcore raiders are still asleep, heh.

Waiting for a, "I'm a raider so I deserve to see more content than you" post, followed by "u r prolly not in a raid gild cuz u suck nub, QQ more and l2p", followed by someone laughing at your armory page.

10. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    I was thinking about this since you mentioned D2.

IIRC, the difficulty of D2 was ramped up based on the number of players in the game, as was the chance to for the boss to drop uber loot. It seems a reasonable solution to do the same with WoW.

For example:

5-man, easy, 0 to 1% chance to drop 1 epic.
    10-man, medium, 10% chance to drop 1-2 epics.
    25-man, hard, 100% chance to drop 2 epics.

Bosses in 25-man would scale up accordingly, and have some tricks up their sleeves that they don't in 5-man, similar to the way heroic difficulty is now compared to normal.

That way everyone gets to see the content according to their own playstyle, and everyone is happy. At this late date it doesn't seem too likely they'll implement something like this, but it's food for thought.

11. Calendryll

Calendryll MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:

This was my main problem with this game. It's also why I'm having a hard time making it back in with you guys. I'm having a tough time justifying the amount of playtime I was putting in and not really getting anywhere. I loved the guild, loved the people, hated the inordinate amount of time I spent doing nothing. I may take the plunge again though and just fart around with everyone for a while longer. Does anyone even miss me? /cry

12. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    That's why you burned out... you played for progress and then got frustrated when you hit one of Blizzard's progression throttles. It seems like no one plays this game just for fun. Instead people treat it like a job and stress over progression only to have their accomplishments devalued by a content patch at which point they get sick of the game and burn out. It's really unhealthy.

I am talking about content, not progression (unless you want to call it content progression). It's fun fighting the big bosses from the lore of the game. I just want to be able to access areas that are largely inaccessible for most players. I have 334 days of play time and there is lots of stuff I have never seen because it's inaccessible.

13. dcwilson26

dcwilson26 MSC Knight

Market Rating:
    Of course we all miss you Cal! I have found myself doing lots of heroics lately for the epic drops and badges that drop off of bosses which you can trade for more epic stuff. There's a lot more 5-man stuff to do than before the patch so I've been keeping myself busy.

14. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    It seems the devs agree.. somewhat...

Source: http://www.mmo-gamer.com/?p=218

15. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Nah, that is just making it another hard raid instance that you can only access with a raid guild. That is no different.

16. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Well that's why I said they agree "somewhat." But at least Casual will be able to finish it then. :p

Hitometer: 53,842,727 since 1995