Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

New Web Server

Discussion in 'News' started by Jakeman, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    The domain will be along shortly. In the meantime I have posted a link to the IP address on the old server.

I also updated the forum software during the move. There shouldn't be any changes on the front end. Everything should be exactly as it was before. If you encounter any site problems please let me know... I had to update several of my customizations after the upgrade.

2. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Moved servers again. I couldn't justify the cost of a dedicated server anymore. So I got a shared server with ASO. Saves me money. :D

3. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    ASO's pretty awesome. It's kind of a shame their VPS couldn't deliver the performance we needed on airsoftcanada.com or we'd be with them now.

4. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    That has been my experience with VPS servers too. Because of the more strict partitioning of resources on VPS servers you tend to get more consistent but less performance.

5. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    It drove me to optimize the hell out of the configuration, but nothing I did made it speedy by any measure. We're on a dedicated server now with iweb.com, in Quebec, which is great considering our demographic. C2D, 4GB RAM, 2x250GB in RAID1 for about 120CAD/month. It's able to run the forum without any sort of optimization, but I applied the tricks I learned on the VPS and the thing is unbelievably snappy. It's optimized so well that we've got enough power left over to run five Left4Dead servers on it as well.

Hitometer: 53,850,992 since 1995