Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

New talents and skills

Discussion in 'Character Building' started by Scorpion, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    Readiness + the hunter Trinket from ZG = scary stuff.

2. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    From the screenshots one of my guildies posted of BC items, I'd say that this talent will be a really big factor. There are a lot of people with 600+ in +dmg gear right now and 800 is rare but not impossible. However, in BC 1500+ is gonna be the norm from some of the items I've seen (and those are blues) and 2000+ won't be unheard of.

I thought the same about the Empowered talents and wondered why it was that far down the tree until I realized that from rank 10 to rank 11 frost got a good boost but Rank 11 to Rank 12 fire is only about 50-75 dmg and it seems that the higher ranks get less and less bonus. What this means is that gear and talents will be the big upgrades while spell ranks are just minor upgrades. Also judging from the blues and arena items, don't be surprise to see mages with 7000-8000 hp.

3. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Readiness is really the weakest of the three 41-point talents. Rogues get the same thing at 31 points, and we really don't have that many cooldowns to begin with.

That said the way beta is right now, Hunters are currently the "best" class in the game.

I'm not really expecting so since 3 out of the 4 cooldowns the ZG trinket resets are 10 seconds or less already. Maybe 3 multi-shots in a row could make for big burst damage, but in BC that's probably not even enough burst to kill a decked out level 70 cloth class.

4. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Hmm like I said I don't know much about hunters. If they all start speccing Silencing Shot I guess my world just got a little worse.

As far as not being able to kill a "decked out level 70 cloth class" well I guess we'll see about that. It all depends on how our damage mitigation / HP scales relative to the other classes' gear. I admit I haven't looked much at what's coming out of the beta.

5. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
  6. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Empowered Frostbolt is really nice. 10% gear dmg + 5% crit is sweet.
    Fire will still be #1 single target dps though with Empowered Fireball giving 20% gear dmg. Stack that with 13% extra dmg from talents and 9% crit = GG. We might see 7-8k crits with ignite to boot.

7. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Regarding water elemental woes...

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=34975977&sid=1

...and I was told:

And there was great rejoicing.

8. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Arcane tree changes:

Hmmm, Arcane is looking kinda interesting, it's making me at least reconsider sticking with deep Fire come the expansion. Kalgan has stated that properly specced, Arcane Missles is intended to be the single target DPS leader among all mage spells (at the cost of mana efficiency).

Source: https://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=34925124&pageNo=1&sid=1#0

9. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I play with the new mage trees every night. My dilemma is always between arcane mana talents (lasting power) and more frost crit (damage). Last night I managed to come up with a build that has both:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info...000000000000000000000000535323310235010011050

The main compromise is 1/5 in Winter's Chill (would love to have 5/5). The idea is that for long fights it would still stack to 5. An additional point (2/5) would be more reliable stacking, but I can't find any to spare.

I also gave up water elemental. Based on current information, its main use is for additional frost nova setups (2 additional setups per 3 minutes based on the duration of the pet and the cooldown of its frost nova). Its primary attack doesn't do much damage, and it is reported to have only 1700 life.

10. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I did some theorycrafting tonight and found that Arcane Meditation currently gives me 9.1 mana per 2 seconds while casting. That comes out to 273 mana per minute which is basically one free frostbolt per minute of solid casting. This calculated benefit is pretty low since my gear favors int, stam, and damage over spirit and mana regen. For this reason, I may cannibalize Arcane Meditation to put more points into Winter's Chill for maximum crittage.

oops, those numbers were actually with a spirit buff. Without any foreign buffs I am getting 7.6 mana per 2 seconds = 228 mana per minute. It is still approximately one free frostbolt per minute (which costs 246 mana).

Last edited: Nov 18, 2006

Hitometer: 53,851,014 since 1995