Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

New talents and skills

Discussion in 'Character Building' started by Scorpion, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Jakeman likes this.
  2. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Ahhhh, very interesting.

First blush opinions of talent trees:

Arcane-
    Arcane Potency, Prismatic Cloak, and Mind Mastery all seem very nice.

Empowered Arcane Missles = meh

I like the additions to the Arcane Tree overall, but seriously, Improved Blink? WTF? Um, how about just fix Blink so it works, that'll be fine with me.

Fire-
    Blazing Speed - ROFL@rogues and warriors, stick Crippling Poison and Hamstring up your ass. (Okay so it's only a 10% chance, but still.)

Molten Fury - Depending on what "wounded" means, this could be the Best. Talent. Ever.

Empowered Fireball - I like this, although you'd have to have a lot of plus damage for it to really shine.

Dragon's Breath - interesting, would want to experiment with it

Burnout = meh

Playing with Fire - apropos name, not sure what sane mage would take this talent.

Frost -

Ice Floes - pretty cool, anything that reduces the wait for Ice Block is good

Arctic Winds - not bad either, even more survivabilty for Frost

Empowered Frostbolt - I like the fire version better, but still this is not bad

Water Elemental - we'll see, will be hard to balance this I think. How do you make him worth 41 points but not make him TOO tough? Still pissy about this being Frost only.

3. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    And first blush opinion of Spells:

Arcane Blast - we needed another offensive Arcane Spell, this has a bit of a built in Arcane Power + ToA effect built in. Interesting.

Invisibility - I'm glad it's returning, but boy were they careful with it. Still, in conjunction with a stealthed friend to spot and target for you, this could be quite powerful. (/assist FTW) The interesting question is, will enemy Warlocks' Detect Greater Invisibility help you or hurt you? And I'm curious about what would happen during a wipe. Assuming I had the full 8 seconds to fade away, would I drop out of combat?

Spellsteal - Very, very cool.

Molten Armor - Very, very hot.

Ice Lance - Wow, if this stacks with Shatter? Ouchies.

4. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Upon first reading this, it sounds like a passive ability that give +30% damage if the target does not have full life (wounded). That can't possibly be correct, it would be stupidly imbalanced.

edit - I have read that wounded = 20% life (like execute)

5. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    I thought the same thing upon reading it, I was like "My God, that's a little overpowered."

20% makes sense, although Clothies under 20% usually get 1-shot anyway.

6. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Jebus, as if Warlocks weren't enough of a bitch:

Lrn2Frost, I guess.

And how about this beauty (emphasis added):

Spell Steal FTW. Smart locks will "protect" this with cheesy buffs like Underwater Breathing.

7. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Update on Invisibility, duration is 20 seconds. Not sure if that's 20 seconds after the 8 second fade time or if the mage will only have 12 seconds of full invisibility.

Soooo, I get either 12 or 20 seconds of full invisibility on a 5 minute cooldown, but can't see any targets unless they can also see me. Hmmmm.

I was trying to defend the spell a little bit on the WoW mage forums, but really I'm more like, "What's the point?"

I can envision some very very situational uses for it in PvP, a clever mage might pull off a surprise flag grab or node cap. May be useable an escape tactic if the odds look bad and you have sufficient distance to run and fade out. (Instant cast so you could cast it while moving away.)

In PvE it's a potential wipe protector, and you could possibly sneak by a tricky spot or two.

I understand the imbalance of an invisible mage who could nuke with impunity from 41 yards, but this seems more of a magician's trick than anything else. I don't hate it by any means, but neither am I salivating over it.

8. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yes fire is getting the bone while frost and arcane is getting the lion's share of improvements. What I've heard is Ice Lance does stack with Shatter.
    Although Dragon's Breath seem good at first, if you crit with it and ignite procs, they will break out almost immediate not to mention that if there's any dot on the target, they will break out (kinda like a mage's gouge).

Plus dmg won't be a problem since everyone expects 3k dmg non-crit to be the norm in expansion (first dungeon will drop items equivalent to tier 3s and it's only a 5 man dungeon).

The water elemental is a mage's version of a VW. So basically a mage's tank when you solo.

Molten Armor basically is pointless since you can't stack it with Ice Armor or mage armor. In a raid you'll probably be using Mage Armor and PvP-wise Ice Armor is better

I just saw the Paladin's talents. Good luck on trying to kill a pally now.

9. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Look at the rogue talent and skill. Looks anti-caster to me (especailly Cloak of Shadows)

10. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    I agree that Mage Armor will still be used in raids, but considering we've yet to see Molten Armor action I think it's hard to say that Ice Armor is better in PvP. Ice Armor's slow effect almost always gets resisted at level 60, and an additional 560 armor does little to stop a Tier 2/3 wielding Warrior or Rogue.

Critical strikes are the big reason mages get 2-shot. Anything that lessens their frequency is okay in my book. Would be interesting to know whether the fire damage from Molten Armor procs Impact. Doubtful, but it would be cool.

I agree that Arcane and Frost got better improvements (but don't sell Molten Fury short, it's the mage's Execute). The top tier Arcane talents are very nice, and while I am skeptical that a Water Elemental will be able to tank like a Voidwalker, it's still cool. (It remains to be seen whether the WE is even controllable like a Voidwalker). Dragon's Breath does seem lame for a 41-point talent, but Fire always did have the lamest top tier talents anyway. I'd still like to see it in action before passing final judgement.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  11. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    True story. Did you notice the new silence effect on Garrote? Boy I can hardly wait for that.

12. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    silence on garrote? cool! too bad no rogue in their right mind would use garrote over ambush on a cloth wearer.

13. Fujin

Fujin MSC Knight

Market Rating:
  14. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Perhaps not, but Ambush better kill me.

15. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Empowered frostbolt is weak. I currently have just over 500 bonus spell damage which is really high. 5% of 500 is 25, so I would only get 25 more damage from 5 talent points with my current gear.

Empowered fireball ain't that great either. But that arcane talent that converts int to damage... that is good.

16. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Yeah at first glance I thought the Empowered stuff was decent, but when you do the math...not so much.

Fire tree needs work.

I'll probably be going deep Arcane myself, unless the Water Elemental is so good that I can't pass it up. I hope Scorpion is right about it being like a Voidwalker, but I have a feeling it's going to be a watered down version (pun intended). Not that Voidwalkers scare anybody in PvP anyway, I rofl @ locks who have them out.

I have doubts as to whether we'll be able to command it like a traditional pet. I fear it will be like the pets that come from items like Barov's Peasant Caller and Ancient Cornerstone Grimoire; easy to kill and not at all controllable. The 30 second cooldown would seem to indicate that as well.

All that said, release is still a few months away, a lot of these could be changing.

17. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Although it is worth noting that if you've gone deep enough to get Empowered Fireball, you'll likely also have Fire Power and Molten Fury, and maybe even Playing with Fire if you like to live dangerously. That's a lot of percentage buffs multiplying together. Looking at the talent in a vacuum is not necessarily a fair evaluation.

18. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I seriously doubt the water elemental will be uncontrollable. It's a class pet, not a trinket pet.

19. Jakeman

Market Rating:
  20. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    At least it's a 41 point talent. I can live with that since they have to give up other trees to get it. It's not the travesty of a pet (Felhunter) getting for gold what a player class (Mage) has to spend 17 points in its least popular tree for.

I've never played a hunter so I know jack sh*t about them, but it seems I might like Readiness better than Silencing Shot anyway.

Hitometer: 53,594,250 since 1995