Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

New PC or laptop?

Discussion in 'PC Forum' started by Scorpion, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    I'm contemplating whether I should buy a new PC or a laptop. My current PC is really crappy: 433 Mhz Celeron, 256 DRAM, RageII graphics card, 8 Gb Hard Disk(yes WoW would take up half of it's space), Windows 98. In other words, it's so outdated that there's no compatible stuff out there to upgrade it. Even the motherboard won't accept a Radeon 9700.

So I need some opinions on what I should get. On one hand, if I were to go PC I would have better graphics, more memory, etc. However, I would be limited to only being able to play at home. If I were to go with laptop, I can install WoW on there and I'd be able to play during those long periods in between classes at the cost of an inferior graphics card and less memory. Also I don't know how well WoW would run on a laptop. Buying both is not an option since I'm not willing to shell that much money just to play a game (besides it's redundant to have WoW on both a laptop and a PC).

Right now I'm using my parent's PC to play and the reason why I can't play at night except during weekends when they're not home. They like to stay in their room because they got a special cable/satellite set-up in there and they usually kick everyone out once they get home from work(@4:15pm - 5:00pm). Main reason why you guys will see me disconnect all of a sudden around that time without even saying "Bye".

2. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    If you're going for a useless arts degree then a laptop is handy for note taking and writing all those essays. Plus you have lots of free time to play games between and during lectures.

If you're going for a science degree then you want a normal computer because laptops suck for taking notes in science classes and if you don't pay attention you'll miss something important in lecture when you're playing GTA.

A desktop is really much more practical.

3. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    He's in the same CS program as me.

4. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    What's that!?!? :p

Hitometer: 53,595,128 since 1995