Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

New Mouse and Keyboard

Discussion in 'PC Forum' started by Alteren, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Alteren

Alteren MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    I'm definitely needing a new mouse to use with my laptop, and I'm thinking of getting a keyboard as well.

The mouse can cost $5.00 (I actually foudn one) and probably be better than the 10 year old mosue I have up there. I was thinking of trying a wireless mosue since since there are a lot of cords up on my desk.

As far as the wireless mice go, I've been lookin at the Logitech G7 or Logitech MX1000 as the top choices so far there. I like that you don't have to use AAs in them. I've heard very good and very bad about each. Does anyone have any thoughts on either model or another wirelss mosue that they are happy with? If I dont' get a good wireless one, I'll just go for a cheap corded one. The one I have now doesn't have a wheel :-)

As far as the keyboard, I took a brief look at the Logitech G15. It seems cool. I like the idea of the backlit keys and extra buttons. The LCD screen doesn't seem like somethign I would use, but it's certainly a huge problem. I read some complaints that the letters wear off after a fairly short period of time. What do you guys think of this keyboard? Anyone have another, similar model they are happy with? If I don't get something like that, I'll just contiue with the provoided keys on my laptop. It does seem like a nice keyboard, even when you throw out the gamign application of it.

Thanks guys.

2. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Wireless keyboards and mice are retarded and are more of a nuisance than the cord they replace.

I've had my mouse and keyboard for around four years and they've taken a pounding. The keyboard is a logitech Internet Navigator and the mouse is a logitech dual optical mouseman

3. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    MX-1000 can be a pain if you forget to recharge it - the battery only lasts for about 20-30 hours. That said, it's nice not to have to keep buying AA's.

4. Alteren

Market Rating:
    I'm starting to think maybe a new corded mouse is the way to go. I'm getting mixed reviews in the wireless area.

For that I like the following:

-Logitech MX518:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...-3241384-4419242?_encoding=UTF8&s=electronics

-Logitech G5:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...-3241384-4419242?_encoding=UTF8&s=electronics

- Pretty much any cheapie :)

Any thoughts there?

5. Alteren

Market Rating:
    Updates

This will have some stuff you've already seen, but here are my updated thoughts on a new keyboard and mouse (I've used this post in a few forums, so yes it is a bit of a "form letter" :-)):

Hi guys.

Right now, on my laptop, I'm using the default keypad and a 10 year old Logitech mouse. It was on our first computer, and it has a grand total of TWO buttons and no wheel.

I'm looking to update my mouse and keyboard.

Here are the products I'm considering. I certainly don't expect you guys to look everything over, but I'd greatly appreciate any insight :-).

Wireless Mice:

Corded Mice

Keyboards

As far as the mice, I'm leaning toward corded now. For a while, it was hard to pick between corded and wireless, but I decided that corded would be a more dependable connection for me. I read reviews, and people seem to either LOVE or HATE wireless mice. There are more lovers than haters, but I'm afraid I'd be the one person who seems to have a problem with the wireless mice.

The MX518 and G5 both appear to be good mice. I know a guy who uses MX518, and he loves it. I'm kind of looking at the G5 right now. It does have one less button, but it also has a whole lot more to offer than what I have now :-).

As far as the keyboards, I'm not sure where to go there. I lean to one of the cheaper ones on my list, becuase they are perfectly fine keyboards, and I don't really need the ergo keyboard. It is pretty neat, but I don't really think it's worth the cost for my use.

I'm welcome to any advice you guys have on these or other products to consider. Thanks so much in advance, and sorry my post was so long.

-Greg

6. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Why don't you just go down to the store, try them out and buy the one you like?

7. Alteren

Market Rating:
    I actually went after class yesterday. It all worked great for me, so I guess I just need to make a decision.

My main hang up on it is corded vs. wireless.

8. ColdHeat

ColdHeat MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    If you want cheap i got a mouse ill send you for shipping lol. wired optical mouse......logitech M/N: m-uv55a

9. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    The MX518 has long been proven to be one of the best mice ever made. The G5 looks VERY similar to it, so that's going to be a tough decision. I would never buy a corded mouse, but that's just me... the drawbacks to wireless are greatly outweighed by their strengths in my opinion, but it's all up to you personally. I would also never buy any of those keyboards, though. If you're the kind of person who prefers the way laptop keyboards feel, you should check out the Macally IceKey, or the Logitech DiNovo set...

Personally, I use the DiNovo set, and I love it because I don't even need to use the Bluetooth base station. The only cable attached to my laptop right now is the power, and I love it that way. Also, if I'm ever on the road, I can just take the mouse and not have to worry about USB dongles or other stuff.

10. Alteren

Market Rating:
    I'm still thinking about all of this. I have some time (till about april 8 or 9) to mull all this over.

I have a good buddy who's worked with the MX518 and MX1000. He doesn't like the wireless at all and thinks it seems very floaty and hard to control. I just worry that I'd be the one out of 50 or so people to have some issue with the wireless connection. He seem sto really like the MX518.

I've been doing a lot of research on these, and I've been to Best Buy a couple times to look.

I guess I'd need to hear more good things about wireless before I changed my mind there. There seem to be LOVERS and HATERS of wireless mice. There are more lovers than haters, but there are enough haters to still make me wonder.

11. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Most stores have a satisfaction guaranteed thing. Just buy it, try it out and if you don't like it exchange it for the other one.

12. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    with a restocking fee of 25%

13. Alteren

Market Rating:
    I'm not going to buy somethign that I'll have to pay for the replacement plan beyond the actual cost of said plan :-)

Hitometer: 53,587,972 since 1995